Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed HID's in my aftermarket projector headlights, and the beam is terrible. There are big lines and circles all in the beam. I'm not gonna lie, i got the HID's super cheap so that might be why. (6,000k) But any advice about what to do would be appreciated! New user so hope this helps me like I hope it will.

·
hates "smart" people
3,569 Posts
So I installed HID's in my aftermarket projector headlights, and the beam is terrible. There are big lines and circles all in the beam. I'm not gonna lie, i got the HID's super cheap so that might be why. (6,000k) But any advice about what to do would be appreciated! New user so hope this helps me like I hope it will.

Aftermarket ebay projectors (anzo/depo/sonar) are not designed for HID. Their beams wont spread evenly.

And you can't attach images from your email. Host it somewhere else.

·
Sold 3G, Got a 4S!
379 Posts
Fixed

That last one looks funny as hell. To me it looks like some creepy cartoon character with swirly yellow eyes and a small mouth.

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
HID capsules are TOO LONG for those housings. The end of the capsule actually hits the cut-off plate. That is why there is the weird light pattern. I remember mentioning this very thing in another thread not even a week ago.

·
Registered
589 Posts
^ yup. Improper sized bulbs will cause swirls or even just blacked out dark circles just like that. Gotta use what the headlight was designed for

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Okay so the bulbs are too long. Nothing to fix this? Basically my options are either use the halogen bulbs or use a completely different housing to use HID's, correct?

Also, I'm NOT saying i'm going to buy these, just a question. But these halo LED projector headlights come with HID install kit.
10000K HID 00 05 Mitsubishi Eclipse Dual Halo Projector LED Black Blk Headlights | eBay
Mine are H1. These are H3. Would these have the same outcome? Wouldn't that seller get a lot of crap feedback if they looked like mine do after the conversion with LED projector headlights?

·
hates "smart" people
3,569 Posts
If you want proper HID setup, retrofit is the way to go. Aftermarket halogen projectors can't beat the quality and light output of proper HID projectors.

Plus, even if you insist on sticking to aftermarket halogen projectors, usually members here stick to DEPO or SONARS. The rest are usually crap.

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
Here is what one of the issues is, and likely part of the reason the manufacturer says not to put anything but halogens in their housings.

Halogen:

HID:

Notice how differently the bulb sits even when properly seated. Not only is it on a different axis, but it is also touching the cutoff shield. I believe that this is what causes the dead spot (big boob) on some of the projector housings with HIDs installed in them.

I hope that this helps shed some light on the issue.

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
Okay so the bulbs are too long. Nothing to fix this? Basically my options are either use the halogen bulbs or use a completely different housing to use HID's, correct?

Also, I'm NOT saying i'm going to buy these, just a question. But these halo LED projector headlights come with HID install kit.
10000K HID 00 05 Mitsubishi Eclipse Dual Halo Projector LED Black Blk Headlights | eBay
Mine are H1. These are H3. Would these have the same outcome? Wouldn't that seller get a lot of crap feedback if they looked like mine do after the conversion with LED projector headlights?

Those are a newer generation Anzo housing. They are considered to be the WORST ones available. They can however get away with putting in the HIDs for one simple reason: the low beam is the open bowl, not the projector. There really is nothing correct about those particular ones. I do speak from experience as I've personally had almost every type of housing available.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Trouble shoot the lights you have now. Im assuming it came with halogens when you bought it. Stick them in there and fire it up, do you get the same output? Maybe theyre just crappy ebay lights and theres nothing you can do to fix them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the pics Sven i see now how the HIDs touching the cutoff can cause the bad output that i'm having. I really don't want to settle for halogens...I'm thinking of cutting my losses and just getting depo lights off ebay which i've heard works with HIDs.

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
No problem. I hope that the information was of some use to you. The best thing to do is to find another member that still has a set of the Depos with HIDs (if that's what you're looking at getting) and ask them if they'd be willing to send you a photo of their light pattern just to be certain. I never did put HIDs into the Depos I had, as they were only on the car for a little over a month. I remember reading somewhere once that there was another housing out there that had a "dead spot", and for some reason I thought it was the Depo ones. I could be wrong on that though.

fwiw I'm doing a "real" retrofit for another person on a set of housings like what you already have there; which will be quite nice when they're done I should think. Seeing as they fell apart on their own anyway, why not. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts