Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed last night that my pass side HID was out. Need to get this fixed/resolved quickly, since I work evenings/nights & can't be driving about with one headlight. Was just hoping any of you with similar setups could advise me a bit...

*Should've taken pictures of my setup while I had the housing out, checking connections. Now it's snowing kind of hard for electrical work.

As the title says, I've got 2nd gen DEPO projectors (black housing, High beams are in a reflector) installed. I bought them pre-assembled with an HID conversion kit & 8000K bulbs. Any idea what size these bulbs might be, in case that's what needs replacing? H4?

The HID kit itself (again, no pictures as of now) has a large blue box, which I believe is the ballast, as well as a smaller black box - labeled 'igniter' IIRC.

My main question, in simplest terms, is what are the most common issues to look for when an HID goes out?
Should I assume it's the bulb, and go from there? Switch with the working one to troubleshoot? (...when it's not snowing)
Is it likely to be a bad ballast / igniter box that's the culprit?

Already checked the inline fuse and checked the numerous plugs & wiring connections. All seems fine & fuse is intact.

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, man. Guess I'm lucky my kit has a separate igniter; it should be easier/cheaper to replace than the kits with integrated ballast & igniter boxes. I'll look into it, though I hope it's just the bulb. Test the igniter's output with DEVOM, I guess?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Thanks, man. Guess I'm lucky my kit has a separate igniter; it should be easier/cheaper to replace than the kits with integrated ballast & igniter boxes. I'll look into it, though I hope it's just the bulb. Test the igniter's output with DEVOM, I guess?
Due to the high voltage of HID kits, I personally wouldn't use a DVOM to test the output...I'd just swap with the working one to see if the problem changes sides.

You said you bought the housings with the HID kit already installed...was it used? One thing that also comes to mind that may just cause a little confusion is whether you have a hi-low HID setup. Usually, the typical HID kits only have one box per side, but the hi-low kits usually use two. The hi-low kits also usually have a deflector that pivots up and down on the bulb itself, which is how they switch between high and low beam...it's just a thought. Either way, since one side works, it would be easiest to swap parts between the sides, one at a time, and see when the problem changes sides...when it does, there's your problem...:bigthumb:

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Due to the high voltage of HID kits, I personally wouldn't use a DVOM to test the output...I'd just swap with the working one to see if the problem changes sides.

You said you bought the housings with the HID kit already installed...was it used? One thing that also comes to mind that may just cause a little confusion is whether you have a hi-low HID setup. Usually, the typical HID kits only have one box per side, but the hi-low kits usually use two. The hi-low kits also usually have a deflector that pivots up and down on the bulb itself, which is how they switch between high and low beam...it's just a thought. Either way, since one side works, it would be easiest to swap parts between the sides, one at a time, and see when the problem changes sides...when it does, there's your problem...:bigthumb:
Yeah, good call on the high voltage. I'd planned to swap the bulbs from the other side. I'll have to take another look at all the connections to see how easy it'd be to swap each component individually. Also have to wait for the weather to cooperate... and my work/sleep schedule to mesh.

Yeah, they're used. :lol: I'm actually the third Club3G member to have this HID kit. Not sure if it's high/low; I'll have to track down the original owner to find out more about the kit.

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't assume anything, troubleshoot and you'll know soon enough. My ballast was dead on mine.
Oh, I'll be troubleshooting. Believe it.

Dead ballast? Ouch. I take it your igniter is integrated into the ballast box? (I seem to remember you - or someone else - wanting pictures of my "weird" 2-box-per-side HID kit a month or two ago.)
...where does one go to order just a ballast/igniter?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

Dead ballast? Ouch. I take it your igniter is integrated into the ballast box? (I seem to remember you - or someone else - wanting pictures of my "weird" 2-box-per-side HID kit a month or two ago.)
The best way, it to get one from the original manufacturer to ensure compatibility...but maybe someone has had experience with a supplier...:ugh2:

·
Frank
3,940 Posts

My kit is a cheap one off ebay so it's just a ballast and a bulb on each side. I e-mailed the company and it cost me $30 for a new ballast. The first one was DOA but what the hell are you gonna do, argue back and forth through e-mails with someone who speaks very broken engrish?

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input, guys. Finally got to troubleshooting today right around dusk. It was dark by the time I found the culprit.

Got some pictures, too*! :fever:

^-as you can see, we have two "boxes" wired in.
Blue box by battery = ballast
smaller black box = igniter

I swapped, one at a time, from the "bad" side. (pass. side)
  • Bulb - still fired up
  • Igniter box - still OK
  • Big Blue (ballast box) - no shine

Conclusion?
Well, thaar's yo problim!!

Now I just need to find the original owner and get his input on where to source a new "Big Blue".

*I'm not about to apologize for my dirty engine compartment. Colorado daily driver. Also, this is 'Problem Reports', NOT 'Show & Shine'. =-P

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Glad you found the problem...have you tried typing the part number into Google and seeing if you get any hits?

Reactions: 00TampaBlueGS

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Glad you found the problem...have you tried typing the part number into Google and seeing if you get any hits?
Good idea! Got two hits; only one was in English.
Trail of bead-crumbs led me to this thread on a BMW luxury motorcycle forum. One guy attested to having a kit with the same part # on the ballast. Tracked down his review thread, to find something that looked familiar.

Apparently from CQlight. Left message here.
Sure hope I can find something compatible. Seems it's at least a two year old kit...

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
You will definately want to verify the connectors on the new box before purchasing. I had to replace some pieces on one of my HID kits from CQLights and they ened up shipping the items with a newer type connector/plug than my 1y/o kit ad come with originally. I emailed the about it, they immediately sent me new "adapter" cables and all was well. Just saying you may want to confirm so you don't have to wait an extra week for some adapter cable like I did. FWIW, that ballast appears to be 3-4 times larger than the ones I got from CQLights :dunno:

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just ordered over the phone. Told her it was an H7 kit from a couple years ago, and she immediately asked, "is it a blue box?". I take that as a good sign. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a part number to confirm that the plugs will be the same. She did, however, ask if I wanted a newer, smaller ballast. With your warning in mind, NC[Spyder]GT, I told her to send the same blue one. I'm crossing my fingers, as I just gave her my CC# to send it out today. $40 shipped.
And... yeah, broken engrish FTL. :noway:

Maybe an e-mail w/ some pics is in order?
:hmm:

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Copy of E-mail:
To whom it may concern -

I just placed an order by phone, under the name '*******', for a replacement ballast. I have an H7 automotive HID kit from a couple years ago, so I'm concerned about the plugs and the compatibility of the ballast being sent. Thought I might send a few pictures along to confirm, since the lady I spoke with couldn't provide a part number.
The part number for this ballast appears to be EP8035DC-M1.
Here's a picture after I removed it from my car:
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l172/RansomGS/IMG_0224.jpg

I also dug up a picture of the entire kit new in box:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1498

I was told of a previous transaction in which a ballast was sent that didn't plug up properly. This person had to wait an extra week for some "adapter" cables to be sent. I'd like to avoid any such wait, since I need both my headlights in working order. Please reply and confirm or deny fitment and/or part number, to ease my mind.

Thank you!
EDIT: Oh, and Sintec just confirmed that this kit is from CQlight. :yesway:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Glad you got it all worked out! I've heard pretty good things about CQ Lights before...:bigthumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts