Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys...I need some help! I realized at the last car show I went to (it was freezing) that my heat doesn't work! Great time to find this out, huh? Anyways, I figured out it gets hot when I start driving...I think this is just the heat coming off the engine. But when I start my car to warm it up it never warms up...it almost feels like I have the air on. Has anybody else had any problems with this? It's getting colder outside by the day and I definitly need to start working on this problem!

·
Registered
352 Posts
mine does the same thing, never actually gets hot in the car, only blow warm air when i am shifting up through the gears, never gets warm air in the mornings when it is idling

·
Lubisz To Suko!
3,547 Posts
when it happened in out company car they sent it out for service and IIRC they just changed the radiator,

·
Registered
110 Posts
sounds like a possible suck open thermostat

·
¡pura vida!
843 Posts
question does your car over heat along with havnig no heat? if it does, have you checked the coolant and water lvls going to your radiator? it could be that simple. let me know if that helps if not i'll see what else could be the problem. =)

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're no stranger to the inner workings of an engine, Imported, but the first thing I'd check is your coolant levels and the condition of your anti-freeze! :D
A good flush may be in order, but a friend of mine has an '02 Eclipse GT that would overheat in a similar fashion... until he topped off the radiator and overflow with some fresh anti-freeze.

Now, on to the "damsel in distress"...:wavey:(HI, hadn't seen you around in a while!)
.. well, really all I can offer is my sympathy and a small tip from personal experience. I share this issue. My car takes a while to warm up and blows only cold air until it's good and damn-well ready to give me some warmth! :happysad: I've found it best to leave the fan OFF during warm-up with the temp control to COLD. This helps the engine compartment hold more of it's heat and reach normal op. temp. more quickly. Once the engine is decently warm, I crank it back to HOT and turn the fan on! :wiggle:
I don't know if this addresses your issue at all, but take it for what it's worth...
Also, if you have a 2000 like I do, you may want to check your Cabin Air Filter.... :ugh2:

·
Registered
994 Posts
yeah mine dont start heating up until i start driving down the road or something. maybe there should be a recall. but yeah the same thing happened to my bros 96 eclipse and he just added water and antifreeze and it fixed it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
yeh... I have the same problem i was going to make a post today about it but i found this. It takes like 45 minutes for my heat to work. I cant even drive in the morning because my windows are all frosted up and they wont defrost untill the heat kicks in. The heat works fine once it starts to work but it takes 45 minutes. Winter is coming and im going to have big problems if i cant fix this problem.. any suggestions??

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
yeah mine dont start heating up until i start driving down the road or something. maybe there should be a recall.
:twitch: ....
I think maybe I should take the time to emphasize something:
One should ALWAYS do their best to avoid putting undue load on a COLD ENGINE!! 90% of engine wear occurs at start-up, just like those oil commercials say! :ugh2: In order to attain acceptable oil viscosity, standard motor oil must be nice and HOT!! Forcing load on an oil starved engine is akin to dropping sand in your valve cover.... there's just too much friction!! A good "rule of thumb" I follow is to wait until the engine rev's are normal (around 600-700 RPM) before driving anywhere. Driving while the engine is still trying to warm itself is just stressing your engine and shortening its life! :nono:

·
Registered
207 Posts
yeh... I have the same problem i was going to make a post today about it but i found this. It takes like 45 minutes for my heat to work. I cant even drive in the morning because my windows are all frosted up and they wont defrost untill the heat kicks in. The heat works fine once it starts to work but it takes 45 minutes. Winter is coming and im going to have big problems if i cant fix this problem.. any suggestions??

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
question does your car over heat along with havnig no heat? if it does, have you checked the coolant and water lvls going to your radiator? it could be that simple. let me know if that helps if not i'll see what else could be the problem. =)
thankfully, my car does not over heat.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm pretty sure you're no stranger to the inner workings of an engine, Imported, but the first thing I'd check is your coolant levels and the condition of your anti-freeze! :D
A good flush may be in order, but a friend of mine has an '02 Eclipse GT that would overheat in a similar fashion... until he topped off the radiator and overflow with some fresh anti-freeze.

Now, on to the "damsel in distress"...:wavey:(HI, hadn't seen you around in a while!)
.. well, really all I can offer is my sympathy and a small tip from personal experience. I share this issue. My car takes a while to warm up and blows only cold air until it's good and damn-well ready to give me some warmth! :happysad: I've found it best to leave the fan OFF during warm-up with the temp control to COLD. This helps the engine compartment hold more of it's heat and reach normal op. temp. more quickly. Once the engine is decently warm, I crank it back to HOT and turn the fan on! :wiggle:
I don't know if this addresses your issue at all, but take it for what it's worth...
Also, if you have a 2000 like I do, you may want to check your Cabin Air Filter.... :ugh2:
well, thanks for the tips. my car doesn't over heat (knock on wood) and no matter how long i leave the car running it won't get hot until about five minutes or so of driving...then it's perfectly fine and doesn't go cold again.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:twitch: ....
I think maybe I should take the time to emphasize something:
One should ALWAYS do their best to avoid putting undue load on a COLD ENGINE!! 90% of engine wear occurs at start-up, just like those oil commercials say! :ugh2: In order to attain acceptable oil viscosity, standard motor oil must be nice and HOT!! Forcing load on an oil starved engine is akin to dropping sand in your valve cover.... there's just too much friction!! A good "rule of thumb" I follow is to wait until the engine rev's are normal (around 600-700 RPM) before driving anywhere. Driving while the engine is still trying to warm itself is just stressing your engine and shortening its life! :nono:
I never thought about that! I'll keep that in mind!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts