Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Got Evo?
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in alaska. Pretty lame location too.

Anyways Its hitting in the negative degrees now. I warm up my car, the needle rests halfway inbetween, cool right?

Well I crank that heater, and I get hit by a cold chill from the fans. It seems like the fans are just moving the air, not really heating it. I feel by the vents, and its somewhat a little warmer then cold.

What gets me is, during the summer, even when the heater was off, I still felt decent temp heat from the vents. Didn't know why they leaked out heat, but whatever, Id just shut them.

Is it possible that its too cold outside for the heater to warm up the air fast enough? Im not quite sure how one works really.

What do you think im looking at here? Car reaches optimum running temp, heater on high, and blows something that I wouldn't even call warm.

·
Bringing sexy back
4,644 Posts
Does anyone think this is because of how he has the air control set. I mean if you have it set to fresh air it brings it from outside vs recirculating the inside air. That shouldn't be it, but who knows.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Seems as mine has been doing the same lately, its taking 15 minutes of sitting turned on, and then an additional 10 mintues of driving before the heat works enough to tell its working. Might need to check the heater core.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd check the thermostat first. Although, a similar thing happened to my Probe and it turned out to be the water pump. The car ran at optimal running temperature but the heater was freezing cold, but when the car warmed up I could rev it up to 2500 RPM, hold it there, and the heater would blow warm air. This is because the water pump wasn't completely failed, so higher revving would turn it faster and create enough circulation to get a little bit of heat. It was also why the engine never overheated, it ran at optimal running temperature until it finally failed completely and the car started overheating. I live in Atlantic Canada, and it can get down to -40 degrees in winter here sometimes, maybe the air is cold enough to keep the car from overheating...... idk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts