Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Stratus RoadTerror
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Glad to see there is such a large community for these cars! I am new to cars in general, so please forgive my ignorance for awhile. Well, I drive a 2001 Stratus R/T coupe. I fell in love with it when I first saw it about a year ago. My plan was never to do any sort of build with it, until I came across a few ride pages on CarDomain that got my gears turning. So I'm doing research and trying to gather ideas of what I personally can do. As I'm not a very decent mechanic yet, I'm excited to learn!

Here are a few ideas I've bounced around,
-Vr4 with a 6spd swap
-3.5L Mitsu and adapt my 5 spd
-3.8L from minivan and adapt my 5 spd
-Turbo the 3.0

Any advice or comments would be incredibly helpful. I learn something new everyday!

I look forward to speaking with a lot of you!

Brandon

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Are you the guy who told us at Rice Killers you had 250 horsepower with a clearly stock car and an unplugged MAF? You made a pretty serious fool of yourself.

I could encourage you to do a little research. You'll never get a 3000gt motor and tranny in your car. Nor will you ever get the Chrysler minivan 3.8 in your car. Also the 3.5 need's no "adapting" to get into your car.

The only way you won't be able to find some way of making your car not stock is if you straight up avoid looking.

·
Stratus RoadTerror
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SilverTune, yes that was me. I was trying to act like I knew more then I clearly did to try and fit in with a crowd I had no business with. Since then, I've gotten a good group of friends in the car scene, and have realized that there is no justification in not being truthful about your ride.

I'm doing research daily. I also have strong support from the shop that I interned at, and they are teaching me day-by-day. They believe that a Vr4 swap, however difficult, could be done. They have been told that projects of theirs were impossible, and they've accomplished them with stride. And I have found much supporting evidence that a 3.8L is way more realistic then the Vr4, and will give me an opportunity to have an interesting vehicle that I don't need to lie about!

I'm trying to make amends and actually be viewed as a smart car enthusiast. You may see me as an ignorant newbie, and I cant deny that I was, but at least give me the opportunity to grow and learn through this community. That's all I ask.

·
Stratus RoadTerror
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Edit on my first post, the 3.8 would come from a newer Eclipse, NOT a minivan. After reading a post on another forum, I had come to the conclusion that was the vehicle everyone was using for the engine swap. After doing some research, I realized my mistake!

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
The Eclipse motor is the MIVEC, that's not the one to use unless you're in for some headache. The 9g Galant non mivec 6g75's are the ones people run with great success, it's an easy drop in given a few odds and ends.

It's easy to run a 3000gt VR4 engine in our cars, you just have to know which parts to get that make it a feasible stunt. The only problem is that's only worth it if you're running twins at which point you gotta ask yourself how much you really want to dump into it.

It all starts with what you want. You literally could not be in a better global location for performance on these platforms. Between M-rod, I, and a couple others there is nothing on the V6's that hasn't been done locally or figured out at the very least. If you ever have questions or need a hand turning a wrench feel free to drop me or anyone here a PM. So long as you front about things and aren't an ignorant retard about it like Mr. 18 Inch Subwoofer you will get answers and in the end a car worth bragging about if you want it.

·
31,369 Posts
SilverTune, yes that was me. I was trying to act like I knew more then I clearly did to try and fit in with a crowd I had no business with. Since then, I've gotten a good group of friends in the car scene, and have realized that there is no justification in not being truthful about your ride.

I'm doing research daily. I also have strong support from the shop that I interned at, and they are teaching me day-by-day. They believe that a Vr4 swap, however difficult, could be done. They have been told that projects of theirs were impossible, and they've accomplished them with stride. And I have found much supporting evidence that a 3.8L is way more realistic then the Vr4, and will give me an opportunity to have an interesting vehicle that I don't need to lie about!

I'm trying to make amends and actually be viewed as a smart car enthusiast. You may see me as an ignorant newbie, and I cant deny that I was, but at least give me the opportunity to grow and learn through this community. That's all I ask.
Very honorable comments there... welcome to the club, you will learn a lot here and hope you have a blast as well. Don't forget to check out the Great Lakes Section, as we have a meet coming up for the Chicago Auto Show and would love for you...... AND JUSTIN (;)) to attend.

·
Stratus RoadTerror
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the opportunity to prove myself to you guys. I promise I won't make a fool out of myself. Now I may ask some seemingly dumb questions from time to time. But they will all be legitimate, as there's a lot that still throws me for a loop. For example, what's the difference between Mivec versus non? I haven't found the answer to that yet. And as far some people not going through with the projects they talk about, I am bound and determined to do something with this car! Money is a big issue, as well as not having the experience to be able to power through a swap in a matter of a few days to a week. But I feel that the best way to learn is hands on!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
If you've never worked on an engine or your car before and have a tight budget I'd look into a 6g74 swap. It can be done very cheap and while it won't turn your car into a missile it's really about the best place to start. It'll give you good experience with the car that'll prepare you to do something more daring later on.

·
Stratus RoadTerror
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Correct me if I'm wrong, is that the 3.5L? And so I have a trusted answer from people who know what they are talking about, what vehicles are those found in? I have seen quite a bit about mid 2000's Gallant, but is there anything else? And what issues might I run into with my transmission doing either swap? Thanks to SilverTune, I learned that I would have no issues using this transmission with the 3.5.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
The Ghost
717 Posts
Yes that is the 3.5L. It can be found in the 1997-2004 Diamante.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
The 3.5 swap is easiest and cheapest.

The 3.8 non mivec is the same work but with some extra parts and probly double the cost.

I can do either swap in 6-8 hours depending on how prepared I am. The only real challenge is customizing the exhaust to fit the taller engine blocks but everything else can be done ahead of time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts