Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys..i'm out of ideas.

First of all i have searched and my issue doesn't seem to fit any of the previous scenarios..

I have a 2000 GS 5spd. the only modifications done to it are intake and hid's, the his's were done like three weeks ago. the car in between then and now ran fine.

for the last two days, ive driven back from work, 10 miles on the expressway and another 5 on roads. i don't know if that has anything to do with the problem, its just information.

ive checked all my hid connections, intake stuff, battery voltage, ignition wires, i've put in half a tank of premium fuel, cleaned the pcv valve and hoses. i'm not due for an oil change and all my fluids are good. spark plugs were changed 1500 miles ago with ngk's

the car just does not want to get an idle above 100-200 rpm, even after driving it 15 miles. when it finally figures out that the idel should be 700, i pump the gas and it stalls. or when its at 700 rpm, i turn on the a/c, and it dies. the car drives fine at normal speeds, no misfires or anything

I need this sorted out soon and any help is useful..thanks in advance

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry..no engine codes, but i'm not sure about the intake...it did rain here today but no yesterday, but as far as puddles i canoe through those no splashing, but i'll have to check on it.. but i'm 90% sure its dry

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Alright guys..i'm out of ideas.

First of all i have searched and my issue doesn't seem to fit any of the previous scenarios..

I have a 2000 GS 5spd. the only modifications done to it are intake and hid's, the his's were done like three weeks ago. the car in between then and now ran fine.

for the last two days, ive driven back from work, 10 miles on the expressway and another 5 on roads. i don't know if that has anything to do with the problem, its just information.

ive checked all my hid connections, intake stuff, battery voltage, ignition wires, i've put in half a tank of premium fuel, cleaned the pcv valve and hoses. i'm not due for an oil change and all my fluids are good. spark plugs were changed 1500 miles ago with ngk's

the car just does not want to get an idle above 100-200 rpm, even after driving it 15 miles. when it finally figures out that the idel should be 700, i pump the gas and it stalls. or when its at 700 rpm, i turn on the a/c, and it dies. the car drives fine at normal speeds, no misfires or anything

I need this sorted out soon and any help is useful..thanks in advance
PAY ATTENTION EVERYONE...THIS IS HOW PROBLEM REPORT THREADS SHOULD LOOK :bigthumb:

Thanks for taking the time to list the info we need to help you track down the problem. As asked above, are you throwing any codes (that's about all you missed)? Also, is your intake a Cold or Warm air (long or short)?

Without having any codes to go by, my first thought is the IAC (Idle Air Controller)...it's a stepper motor that is used to control the idle. I haven't looked at one on the 3g, but usually they're bolted on to the throttle body...check the FSM to see where it is. My first instinct would be that the IAC is clogged, making it difficult to sustain an idle. When you unbolt it, you should see a couple holes in the flange that line up with corresponding holes on the throttle body...just clean those out really well with throttle body cleaner (careful it doesn't squirt back and get you in the eyes)...it's a cheap easy fix.

Even if that improves the idle, I'd still take the car to a parts store to get the codes checked...any time you have drivability issues, get the codes checked...:bigthumb:

·
Psychotic
941 Posts
Most likely you have a little bit of water in you intake pipe.

It happend to me a few days ago the filter was wet and my idle was up and down, every thing you described happend as well.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Most likely you have a little bit of water in you intake pipe.

It happend to me a few days ago the filter was wet and my idle was up and down, every thing you described happend as well.
Ok, and...:scratch:

How exactly do you think that a few drops of water inside the intake tubing would cause the situation he described? I drive around with my CAI, even when it's an insane downpour...the usual concern from CAIs and the rain is when people submerge the whole inlet in a large puddle which would cause the engine to suck in large amounts of water...a few drops probably wouldn't make the long trip though the tubing up into the engine...

Since you edited yours, I had to edit mine as well...:bigthumb:

So how exactly did you trace your problem back to a few drops of water in your intake tubing...I'm curious to see what approach you used for this...

·
Psychotic
941 Posts
Well I got the check engine light (edit I later found out it was a cylinder miss fire code) after a while witch made me check the engine bay for any loose wires. Thats how i saw that the intake
was wet.

1. Filter was wet
2. Took it apart
3. The tubing was wet all the way to the MAF
4. Dryed the filter and tubing
5. Problem solved

after that the car drove normal.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Well I got a cylinder miss fire code after a while witch made me check the engine bay for any loose wires. Thats how i saw that the intake
was wet.

1. Filter was wet
2. Took it apart
3. The tubing was wet all the way to the MAF
4. Dryed the filter and tubing
5. Problem solved

after that the car drove normal.
That makes a little more sense since you explained it...I'm thinking the reading from the MAF may have been a little off from the water, but it could also just be a coincidence...after all, you got a cylinder misfire code and not a MAF code...:ugh2: Did you disconnect the battery when you took the intake off to dry it?

Maybe I've just been lucky so far, but my side vent covers are off (since I'll installing my Grillecraft one of these days) so when it rains bad my filter is more than exposed to stray water splashes...but like I said, I haven't had any problems, even when it's raining so hard it's difficult to see...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
No

I wanted to read the code and I had to drive to Autozone to get the code reader.
:scratch:

What part of my post was this in reference to? When you just post "no" but don't quote what the "no" is answering, it makes it difficult to understand what you're saying it in regards to...that, or it's just getting to late here...:rofl:

Also, the part about wanting to read the code and having to go to Autozone...you said you got a cylinder misfire code, but was that before or after you took the intake off to dry it?

·
Psychotic
941 Posts
:scratch:

What part of my post was this in reference to? When you just post "no" but don't quote what the "no" is answering, it makes it difficult to understand what you're saying it in regards to...that, or it's just getting to late here...:rofl:

Also, the part about wanting to read the code and having to go to Autozone...you said you got a cylinder misfire code, but was that before or after you took the intake off to dry it?
Yeah I thought that would confuse you :)

No i didn't disconect the battery

I got the check engine light first, then i checked the engine bay, dryied the filter an piping, drove to autozone and found out it was a misfire code.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yeah I thought that would confuse you :)

No i didn't disconect the battery

I got the check engine light first, then i checked the engine bay, dryied the filter an piping, drove to autozone and found out it was a misfire code.
Hmm...still could just be a coincidence, or possibly your MAF connector was a little loose...either way, your problem is fixed and now the person who posted the original question is going to be like "WTF" when he signs on tomorrow and sees all this...:rofl:

·
Psychotic
941 Posts
Hmm...still could just be a coincidence, or possibly your MAF connector was a little loose...either way, your problem is fixed and now the person who posted the original question is going to be like "WTF" when he signs on tomorrow and sees all this...:rofl:
:bigthumb: well this is
:rofl:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
um yeah wtf indeed... LOL

i know when u install an intake you disconnect the battery to reset the computer for the new intake system. then turn on the engine and let the rad fan click on three or four times...thats a good indication. as a result of disconnecting the battery, i'm guessing the computer goes into a diagnostic check and just does its thing.. all this happened to me like a month ago when i changed my cold air intake, aem cold air the big long one, filter behind the bumper.

This is definatly different. i cranked over the 3g this morning when it was cold, like 45 degrees out, it barely kept an idle over 500 and it was inconsistent. i would think that if it was consistent then its simply a fact of adjusting the idle back. not the case. i'm going to change the pcv valve completely and get me some tb cleaner. also by now the filter should by dry by this morning i would think...i'm not ruling it out.

thanks for all the ideas and keep em coming.. i'm going to try the above and see if it makes any diff

·
54,424 Posts
take the throttle body off the car and clean it out with throttle body cleaner, it should be completely clean when you're done. also spray some into the IAC passages and let it set overnight then spray the passages out with more cleaner. deep creep spray works pretty good, so does b12 chemtool. i suggest using both, B12 to take the initial gunk off and deep creep to set on it all overnight. also clean the intake plenum as well as you can with your hand and a rag.

get a can of MAF cleaner and clean your mass air flow sensor also, that may help too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is the idle air control valve between the tb and plenum? and can i completly submerge the throttle body in the cleaner overnight and won't harm it at all?

also with the plenum cleaning, am i going to harm anything inside, anything i should be careful with?

·
54,424 Posts
do not submerge it, the iac is attached the throttle body, just dont drop anything inside the intake plenum. use a rag with your hand to wipe around the inside as best as you can, just want to clean the gunk from around the throttle body hole. while the throttle body is off stuff a rag into the hole loosely to prevent anything from getting in there.

you can use an old tooth brush to scrub it, but nothing with metal bristles! the throttlebody gasket is resuable, just make sure you dont get it back on backwards.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright i have the throttle body out and cleaned and waiting for it to dry out.. i'm going to put it in tomorrow.. i'm just wondering where the iac is? cuz all i see is throttle body, gasket, intake plenum.. what does it look like etc.. i want to do this right the first time..

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
alright i have the throttle body out and cleaned and waiting for it to dry out.. i'm going to put it in tomorrow.. i'm just wondering where the iac is? cuz all i see is throttle body, gasket, intake plenum.. what does it look like etc.. i want to do this right the first time..
The IAC should be bolted to the throttle body, just as the throttle position sensor (TPS) is...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts