Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a laptop in the next couple of weeks and I just can't decide on what to get. Here are the requirements I want in my laptop:

14.1” or smaller screen
2gb. Memory
Dual Core 2.0 or larger processor
80+gb hard drive (not to worried about size)
Bluetooth
Wireless
No Webcam
Fingerprint reader (would like to have)

So what are my best options? Any advice on my requirements?

·
One Lucky Fuck
10,172 Posts
I bought a Dell Latitude D430 a few months ago as I wanted a super light laptop and 12.1" screen size is fine with me. If a 14" screen is more your taste, whatever the new Latitude D6xx (I believe D630) would be a bigger screen while still keeping the whole deal relatively light weight.

I was after weight savings above all else, got the 430 with the std battery at ~3lbs. I also have a larger battery for long trips that ups the weight about 1lb.

However, the 430 has NO built-in optical drive. If you need an on-board DVD/CD/whatever drive, you need something else.

I am very partial to Dell's Latitude series as I am on my second (first one still going strong, just too big for daily portability) and I put them through a fair amount of abuse with no issues.

·
One Lucky Fuck
10,172 Posts
My D430 came with everything you have listed in the first post, Vista Ultimate, Office 2007 Professional and Adobe Acrobat 8.0 standard for ~$2,400

·
Registered
384 Posts
i have a gateway with a 14.1'' screen that hasn't had one problem after 3 years. (knock on wood) what kind of price range are you in?? i see a lot of laptops that meet your specs on Slickdeals.net but they are mostly hp and compaq which i try to stay away from for whatever reason. i've seen a few hp desktops shit the bed after a few years and i just got turned off to those companies.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

I'm kind of afraid of the Macbooks as I’ve never used a Mac before in my life but would like to consider one. Some easy questions you Mac users could answer for me.

1.I’ll likely be installing AutoDesk Products like CAD, Revit, & Inventor plus MasterCAM on the laptop will they work on Mac?

2.I have a desktop that runes windows will I be able to transfer files between both easily.

3.Microsoft PowerPoint compatible on Macs?

4.Is there a huge learning curve to switching to Macs from Windows, or should I be able to pick it up easily.

5.Any other stereotypes about Macs’ that are wrong, that most people have in their heads?

What do yinz Mac users like/dislike about them?

·
Rooaaaaaaarrrrrrr
987 Posts
Check out the Toshiba Satellite U205-S5057. It is light in that it only weighs about 4.3lbs and comes with a DVD burner built in whereas the really small Dell's do not. Also has a 160gb hdd, but is only a 1.66ghz Duo. Here is a link to the full specs Toshiba Satellite U205-S5057 Specs. Laptops Specifications.

I really love mine, and you can find them relatively cheap now that they have the latest and greatest models out. It also only came with 1gb of ram, but I just picked up 2gb from Best Buy for $54 so don't think it will break the bank by any means.

·
Registered
569 Posts
im pretty much against macs, i hate how the setup is and everything else...the dell xps. m1330...i just got one a few days ago 160gb hardrive, 2.0mhz, 2gb memory, fingerprint reader, 13.3" screen, bluetooth..etc for around 1400$ including tax and shipping (free) and they all come with a webcam. or you could get the xps 15" screen for like 1300 probably.. whats ur price limit?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts