Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some help. I need a new radiator, so I'm thinking about swapping mine with an aftermarket Evo one. The only problem is, the ones I'm finding are for manuals only, so I'm going to need to get a tranny cooler as well. My question is, would ANYONE be so kind as to come to Bloomington and help me install the new radiator and tanny cooler? I've been calling around to places I know could do the work but they want like 400 bucks just for labor and I don't have the extra money. I did a search for the dimensions of our radiators, and the Evo's and it seems like the Evo one is about 2 inches too tall for it to fit. However, I have also seen posts saying that they got it to fit perfectly. So, do I need custom brackets??? Anyway, please let me know if you can help me out. I can pay for your time and travel as long as you don't live too far away. I will be pretty much broke after buying the radiator and cooler anyway.

·
LORD WHITE CRACKER!!
2,967 Posts
never mind.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I4, sorry....

I also found the link for Absolute Radiators. They are OEM Eclipse spec and I know they will fit decently. Not sure if I would have to go with a slim fan set up though because the core is 2 inches, as apposed to the normal 1 1/4. Any clue? If I use the normal fans, will they be ok? I'll take a look under my hood after I'm done here at work to get a better idea.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seriously? I'd really appreciate it. I think next Saturday the 19th is when I will try to do it. I get paid on the 15th and I will probably be ordering everything then. Give or take a few days, I'll have it all and can start on either Friday or Saturday. If you're online at all this weekend, IM me on MSN or something and we'll set up something more specific. I do have a couple other questions for you as well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I don't, it sucks. We'd be working outside the entire time. My apartment complex has set-ups with garages, but they're three bedroom townhouses and they costs a hell of a lot. How long do you think installing the evo radiator and tranny cooler would take? I've heard about an hour to swap radiators, and about the same for the cooler, but wasn't sure since I've never done it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Coming back to detroit on the 15th. PM me and we can set a time and date. I've done full radiator replacements before.
But seriously, make sure it'll fit before you start removing parts. Whether it's OEM or not, make sure the dimensions are at least close to OEM.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I've done research and the Evo aftermarket one I'm probably going to order is one inch taller than the Eclipse one. Do you guys think it will fit? As I said before, I've seen posts on here saying it fits, and ones that say it doesn't. I could still use the help either way. I told Casey that I should be doing the swap on Saturday the 19th. Add me to MSN or AIM and we'll figure something out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
put an inch block of wood on top of your radiator and see if you can close the hood. You can modify the brackets on the top and bottom, but in michigan, I don't know how low you want the radiator hanging.

·
Relapsed.
1,811 Posts
put an inch block of wood on top of your radiator and see if you can close the hood. You can modify the brackets on the top and bottom, but in michigan, I don't know how low you want the radiator hanging.
In michigan i dont consider hanging anything low lol to many potholes in detroit area.

·
Registered
223 Posts
^^my point exactly.
Unless you're saving a lot of money, I'd look at oem eclipse parts. The evo radiator won't give you any better cooling, and the extra inch doesn't help either.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the core is twice the size of a normal eclipse one, plus the one I'm thinking about getting is all aluminum. I tested something on Saturday to see if the hood would close, and it seemed ok. I didn'w use wood though. I'll try it again with something a bit harder.

Also guys, for those of you who said they would help me, I just looked at the forecast and it's going to be cold as hell. I'm going to call one of my friends in Nashville to see if he will let me use his garage instead of us working outside the whole time. It just wouldn't be good to be outside doing what were doing when it's so cold. I will keep you updated on when I get the radiator and cooler, so we can set something up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts