Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I live in Cali, I am currently planning for my next mega trip that will take me through Vegas, Zion in Utah, Yellowstone, Glacier, into Canada possibly (Banff), over to Vancouver, a possibly stop in the Seattle area, then down the coast on the 101 (Possibly cut in to Mount Rainer and Mount St. Helens) to the Portland area and continuing back home.

Main thing I am looking here is for how many days people have spent at Yellowstone. I am thinking four full days at Yellowstone to see as much as I can as well as do one or two "long" day hikes with rest days between.

Thinking October time frame for this trip and looking for any good tips, tricks, things to skip, things to see here. It's a long way off but I need to plan pretty far out for this one.

Thanks yo's:D

·
Damnit.
7,392 Posts
:wub: I've been on two road trips where I passed through Yellowstone in the middle: one from Vancouver to Wichita, and one from St Louis to CA. Since you're coming from UT, you can either head up through Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons to the South entrance, or up Idaho to West Yellowstone to the west entrance. Both times I think I stayed in Gardiner, MT near the north entrance, which is a nice little town literally right next to the park and a short drive away from Mammoth Springs. I haven't checked out West Yellowstone prices, but it looks like a bigger town than Gardiner. It doesn't look like there's any lodging next to the South entrance unless you go further down to Jackson Hole, so you might have to stay inside the park. I'm not sure if you plan on camping or not, but if you're just day hiking, I would check out West Yellowstone and Gardiner. If you go up through I-15 to the West entrance, you'll stop by some pretty spectacular lava flows surrounding the interstate. There's no park dedicated to them, but just a rest stop :eek:.

I would be a little concerned about the weather, though? Yellowstone gets up to 8-9000 ft in elevation, so it'll be chillier.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in Idaho and have gone to yellowstone about twice a year for the last 20 years. If you wanna have some fun I would stop in Jackson Hole right before Yellowstone park and stay there for you can get guides and maps there and there is also some really cool shops and bars, gunman showdowns and cool stuff you can check out for free there.

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks!

I would be a little concerned about the weather, though? Yellowstone gets up to 8-9000 ft in elevation, so it'll be chillier.
I don't mind chilly, in fact, the perfect weather I am looking for is highs in the low 50's to lows in the 20's, which is why I am planning October time frame.

I live in Idaho and have gone to yellowstone about twice a year for the last 20 years. If you wanna have some fun I would stop in Jackson Hole right before Yellowstone park and stay there for you can get guides and maps there and there is also some really cool shops and bars, gunman showdowns and cool stuff you can check out for free there.
Well, that is right on the way from where I would be coming, and I would take at least a drive through the Grand Teton's if not do at least one hike there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts