Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

I'm stuck at work... lol
as I was trying to go to Mcdonalds to buy lunch I turned on my car. nothing wrong yet. but when I put it on reverse the car wouldnt reverse. I was thinking ok whats going on here. then I put it on drive and maybe drive over the parking blocker but that didnt work as well. I have a 2001 eclipse GT spyder and I have never had this happen before. everything is stock so no modifications were done. no signs of any problems occured either before I parked the car this morning. just the creaking sound on my front left suspension when i make turns or go over bumps at slow speeds. does anyone here have any idea what could be the problem or how much this might cost me?
by the way when i put it on either reverse or drive the rpms rises or drops so its like telling me that yes i know im on that gear but i cant move. when i press the gas the engine just revs. PLEASE PLEASE i need help

thank you guys so much:mecry2:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im sorry its a sportronic GT... the milage on it is 117k.
tranny fluid is fine i just checked it and its full.
it was just so sudden. no signs of issues. just right when i turned it on again it turns on just fine. when i put it on reverse to back out of the parking lot the rpms would drop and then the car doesnt reverse. i put gas on it and it just revs. same goes when i put it on drive. its like its not catching the gear or something

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
im sorry its a sportronic GT... the milage on it is 117k.
tranny fluid is fine i just checked it and its full.
it was just so sudden. no signs of issues. just right when i turned it on again it turns on just fine. when i put it on reverse to back out of the parking lot the rpms would drop and then the car doesnt reverse. i put gas on it and it just revs. same goes when i put it on drive. its like its not catching the gear or something
Are the gear indicator lights on the dash working? Have you just tried putting it in drive & reverse, or have you tried using sport mode as well? If you put it in neutral can you move the car? If you put it in park can you move the car?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so this is what i did after i got the car home. via tow truck. sportronic doesnt work, no indicators were lit. check engine etc. I put it on drive last night and i put a little more gas to it and kinda pumped the gas a bit. it later started moving perfectly. reverse worked as well. it seems like i have to pump the gas a little bit and then it seems to just let lose. I think this is really going to cost me...lol

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
ok so this is what i did after i got the car home. via tow truck. sportronic doesnt work, no indicators were lit. check engine etc. I put it on drive last night and i put a little more gas to it and kinda pumped the gas a bit. it later started moving perfectly. reverse worked as well. it seems like i have to pump the gas a little bit and then it seems to just let lose. I think this is really going to cost me...lol
It's not so much that you're "pumping the gas" but rather sporadically increasing the engine RPMs...the term "pumping the gas" is better kept to carbureted vehicles...they actually have an accelerator pump built in that will pump in extra fuel when the pedal is pushed quickly...

I don't know much about automatics, but sounds like the torc (torque?) converter isn't acting as it should.
My first thought is that the front pump in the tranny might have a problem...by increasing the RPMs, you're in effect increasing flow, but it could be a torque converter issue.

Just to make sure, did you follow the directions in the owners manual for checking the fluid level? Different vehicles have different procedures for it. Also, after you pushed the pedal repeatedly, did the car move at low engine speeds as well, or only when you had the RPMs up?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh totally i checked the fluids and it was how they should be. the car was moving slow at first and it seemed to just jumped at 3k RPMS with a burst. but before that RPM it was slow depending on how much pressure i put it would stay the same speed until i almost floor it then it just jumps to like 20mph

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
oh totally i checked the fluids and it was how they should be. the car was moving slow at first and it seemed to just jumped at 3k RPMS with a burst. but before that RPM it was slow depending on how much pressure i put it would stay the same speed until i almost floor it then it just jumps to like 20mph
I'd see if there are any tranny shops hear you that offer free inspections or diagnosis...it sounds a lot like a pump problem to me...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact problems as described and the same exact car (2001 eclipse GT Spyder) with no mods done. I don't even race around and never gun it. Mine only has 93,500 miles on it. I haven't tried revving it up a little bit to see if the transmission will engage and I dont think I want to. It's parked in a driveway that is sloped going away from the house. I'm not about to try to push back into the spot its in if it does engage.

Im curious to know what the problem is. My brother-in-law is a mechanic and did all the preliminary/easy checks for minor issues that could cause the problem. All the troubleshooting points to the transmission failing. If so, this is going to be expensive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my Torque converter replaced and the problem seems to now have gone away. it cost me 300 big ones but compared to the $150 to tow it back to my house, its totally worth it. I did the installation myself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts