Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Base your decision on the amp (look up each amp and check their reviews), honestly and I'm not sure about any of those amps' price/quality ratio. Personally I would expect to pay at least $300 for a quality sub amp to push maybe 100 (not 1000) watts RMS. (Tip = the more power an amp makes, the bigger its fuse will be)

·
Manual Swapped!!
5,977 Posts
The amp is the most important part. Those packages are designed to play on ignorance. You see names like kicker, JL and rockford fossgate and think its a good deal when in reality it's their cheapest subs with a mediocre amp. Do yourself a favor and buy the good stuff now so you won't be paying to replace it in the future.

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
The amp is the most important part. Those packages are designed to play on ignorance. You see names like kicker, JL and rockford fossgate and think its a good deal when in reality it's their cheapest subs with a mediocre amp. Do yourself a favor and buy the good stuff now so you won't be paying to replace it in the future.
QFT

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Yes and YES! The amplifiers they had listed on the links you listed were not that great and especially the subwoofers that were with the package were low quality subwoofers. For instance, the JL audio subwoofers listed there may look great but they are WX series, the worst JL audio subwoofer you could ever purchase. Even the older earlier w0 models are better than those.

·
Manual Swapped!!
5,977 Posts
so can i get a website that isn't trying to rip me off? not trying to spend more than $300 on the subs/box/and amp....
Doesn't matter where you go, your not going to get top quality in that price range. Sonicelectronix is a phenomenal site, they're cheaper than woofersect and crutchfield. If you need to go über cheap, check out the refurbished kicker sub and amp packages at hifisoundconnection.com.

You can get 2 10 or 12" comp subs and a lower powered amp for 300ish with a box. Theyre not top notch but better than the other links you gave. Remember you need to look at the referbished ones.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
With that price range you may be better off getting 2 10" subwoofers with a lower wattage amp powering them instead of a higher wattage amp powering 2 12" subwoofers. There are some decent sounding 10" subwoofers that can go $140-$160 for both and still sound pretty nice.

·
Registered
791 Posts
so can i get a website that isn't trying to rip me off? not trying to spend more than $300 on the subs/box/and amp....
They're not trying to rip you off- you get what you pay for. If it's your first system you'd probably be happy with any one of those, they're all about the same.

(By the way those boxes look heavy! Expect your gas mileage to go down! Do you have an alarm? Don't crank your system around where you live, or right before you park the car at a shopping center.)

If you're looking for quality- look at "RMS" value on the amps, and expect to pay $2 per RMS watt (100 watt amp = $200). That kind of amp will hit harder (and last longer!!) than any 2000 watt amp you find for the same price. And your friends will say "really? That's only a 100 watt amp? It sounds better than OtherGuy's 1000 watt amp!"

To put more $$ towards the amp, I'd say you'd probably get very nice results from a single 12" sub. If your amp says "1 ohm stable" you can always add a second sub later when you get more cash. If you want boomy bass, get a ported box, otherwise stay with a sealed box.

Oh and don't buy cheap wires either :)

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts
I don't understand why people think they need TWO subs. It's not going to be twice as loud, especially if they're cheap. :2008:

Like others have said, buy a QUALITY amp, and ONE sub. (10", 12", 15"...really depends on how much trunk you want to give up.).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Manual Swapped!!
5,977 Posts
Those are good subs, but a cheap amp. I have those subs and they hit hard. That amp and wire kit are just not good and your basically paying for the subs only.

This is a great basic setup:

Kicker Car Stereo 10" Sub Package CVR10 Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer, ZX400.1 Amp & Install Wire Kit - KICKERUMAP220

The 10" sub will hit more than hard enough and sound great, you can wire it to be 2 ohm stable at 400 watts rms and that amp puts out 400 watts at 2 ohms. It will save you some cash for a real amp install kit instead of the cheap gabage install kits packages come with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so you're saying i shouldn't get that amp? i know the setup you just showed me will sound much better, but if i get what i said do you think it will atleast sound decent? i dont need the best stuff, just somthing that will hit hard.

·
Manual Swapped!!
5,977 Posts
so you're saying i shouldn't get that amp? i know the setup you just showed me will sound much better, but if i get what i said do you think it will atleast sound decent? i dont need the best stuff, just somthing that will hit hard.
Anything will "sound" compared to stock. What I showed you will sound great, be proven quality and not take up your entire trunk. There is no need for the setup you linked. The amp just isn't worth it to me.

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
^ LOL :)

DanRotundo, like I said above- a quality 100 watts be louder than a cheap 1000 watts any day.

"Try it and see" = How's their return policy? If you weren't happy with it, could you return it and get your money back?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Both - not good (distortion) and not durable (overheating & shutting off in the middle of your song, etc).

Sounds like you really want one of those packages though! Did you check their return policy? If you didn't like it could you return it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts