Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Please help....
2000 Gs Auto.....new plugs and wires thats about it for the engine have about 78K on her the battery is good its been checked plus the lights and radio work with key in...
So....its seems that if the car sits for too long with out a start up it has a hard time turning over....its sluggish and slow (vr vr vr....)then just dies...
if i get a jump then its fine turns out at 1st try...
any ideas i didnt know if it was the starter or something else..ive been searching and searching and thats all i could come up with
please throw some good helpful tips this way
Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's probably that you let it sit too long. Once you get it running, drive for a good 30 minutes or so, then you should have no problem starting it up next time. If you do get it started and only drive it around the block, you're not giving the alternator enough time to charge the battery. If you run it for a while and still have problems starting it up, the alternator could be bad.
Usually a good long drive on the freeway (above 2k rpms) will solve the problem unless it's something more serious.
As it gets colder (if your in the north) think about starting it at least every few days and letting it run till the temp needle is in the middle.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i see where ur coming from but the 1st time it happened i drove 30+ miles to school had class and it wouldnt start up and needed to get it jumped

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
with any starting problem, keep it simple. here's what you wanna start with -

1 - the battery. make sure it's fully charged and verified as good. pop it out and have it tested at autozone.
2 - connections. make sure they are properly made at the battery and make sure the cables are good.
3 - alternator. make sure it's functioning correctly. autozone can check that for you.
4 - serpentine belt. make sure it's properly tensioned and in good shape (more than 4 cracks per inch = bad belt).

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i know the battery is cool and are nice and snug with no problems with the connectors....so i guess that leaves me with the alt and belt...hope thats the problem and im now running around trying to figure this thing out

·
Registered
223 Posts
Worse than I thought. Check JW's list. Alternator sounds most likely. Hope you don't have something draining power... that sucks and is a pain in the ass to trace.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check to make sure the battery is for sure good. Dont just check for voltage. Have it load tested because your radio and light will all work fine due to barely any load being put onto the battery. A starter puts much more of a load on a battery. Also once you get your car running check to make sure that your battery is indeed taking a charge. About 13.2 -14.2 range is a good charge. Check both from the alternator and the battery. Also make sure that you do not have a draw anywhere. Easiest way to check is to pull fuses. Let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i got in the car this morning to go to school and it started up fine....so on my way home ill stop at autozone and get the alt checked.. also i forgot to mention that my belt has been sqeeking :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
If your belt is squeeking just tighten the belt until 1/2 of slack in the belt. If still squeeks tighten more but be sure not to tighten too tight. If you have to do that you prob. Could use a new belt.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so i went to autozone and got my stuff tested and the guy said that my alt is bad and that seeing that the alt was bad im gonna need a new battery
:) yippee...well i know what ill be asking for 4 xmas...red top optima battery and a new alt

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks :)....also got a good deal on a alt only $110 plus labor fee's to put it in
should i get a new serpentine belt seeing that they will b in that area?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
thanks :)....also got a good deal on a alt only $110 plus labor fee's to put it in
should i get a new serpentine belt seeing that they will b in that area?
It wouldn't hurt...it'd save the extra labor of having to replace it down the road, and the peace of mind in knowing that it is new is a great return on investment...

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Unless the serp belt is frayed or cracked I wouldnt bother replacing it. The alt is extremely easy to replace. You only have to:
- disconnect battery
- remove 3 bolts and a nut
- drop old alt and install new alt in its place using 3 bolts
- attach battery cable using nut
- reconnect battery

Should take under 20mins and will require the most basic socket set.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed you have an I4. The process above is for a V6. Not sure if it would be the same for the I4 or not. I imagine it would be even easier :dunno:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the rundown but...the shops gonna throw it on..not a biggy but
again i do appreciate everyones help on this ..THANKS:)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok so since the last time i jumped it like i think monday....its been starting fine.....its that weird or just me???? just curious still goin on fri to get a new one put in
but was just wondering

·
Registered
223 Posts
If the alt's sketchy but not completely bad, the charge your battery gets can be sporadic. It might work this week, and it might not work next week.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
errrr freakin cars... y cant they just work and have no problems like macs...they never get viruses or anything...and they have a nice and clean and quick start up.....COME ON BILL GATES WHERES YOUR CONCEPT CAR U RICH FAWK

1 - 20 of 31 Posts