Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just given an older computer and told that if I can fix it it's mine. My question is if anyone knows how to uninstall Windows ME w/o the initial install disk. I don't have that disk is why I ask. Every time I go through Add/Remove Programs it insits on that disk for it to be removed. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, but I was curious if there's a way I can just get rid of Windows ME and install Windows 98. I'm just trying to use the resources I have right now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You would have to format the harddrive and with a windows 98 installation disk. You cant uninstall windows through the add/remove programs because the operating system cannot delete itself....

I would recommend finding a windows 98 installation disk. This can be used to reformat the harddrive because you are not running the OS off of the harddrive. Then install windows 98 off of that same disk.

Or you can look into Xubuntu. It is a free distro based off of Ubuntu that uses the xfce ui. It is supposedly designed for machines that have lower end hardware. This would be the perfect opportunity to mess around with linux. :bigthumb:

Xubuntu 7.10 now available | Xubuntu.org

·
Registered
184 Posts
ok, so that's what u do ... start ur computer ... then put in Windows 98 CD in, then turn it off. When it's turned off go ahead and turn it back on. You should see the black screen with " To boot from CD press any Key " , go ahead and press any key and your windows 98 should start. Then follow the instructions. It should give u the choice to Format the Hard drive.

·
Meow.
7,786 Posts
Vercetti's got the best idea. Ubuntu is a linux operating system, and older machines run fine on it. The best part of it is, a native windows user, even one that doesn't know jack about how Windows works, or anything else about computers, can use it fine.

It's seriously as easy as download Ubutnu from their website, burn it onto a disc (or if you can't do that, you can order a disc for free from their website I believe), put it in, and then boot from CD.

When you boot from CD, the OS will start from the CD, and you can play around with it some, and then click the nice "install" button, and it will walk you thru every step. It's very easy and simple...and Ubuntu is much, much more versatile (and fucking easier to use in general) than Windows 98. Or lawlME.

·
54,424 Posts
No doubt. Vista isn't far behind, sadly.
atleast they're trying to fix it. ME was just a horrible stop-gap between win98 and XP. my fave MS OS is still 98se. it worked pretty damned well, runs fast as hell on anything relatively modern, and was pretty light for what all it was capable of. it was easy to work with as well. by the time i had my win98se install trimmed down on my old P2 system it would boot up in about 45seconds (from a 5400rpm drive on an ATA66 bus, P2 300mhz and 300something MB ram) and shutdown faster than you could take your finger off the mouse button. at boot it was using a whopping 16MB of ram.

ubuntu isnt too bad, but its getting a little bloated and with each release its requirements are going up and up. using XFCE helps it to run a good deal quicker on older hardware, but its still gotten big. full install is what now? 2+GB?

·
Registered
339 Posts
ubuntu isnt too bad, but its getting a little bloated and with each release its requirements are going up and up. using XFCE helps it to run a good deal quicker on older hardware, but its still gotten big. full install is what now? 2+GB?
I don't think the requirements have been going up at all really. But it has been coming with alot more shit in the disc. Not really all that hard to delete what you don't need though. Xubuntu system requirements are:

166 MHz processor
48 MB of system memory (RAM)
At least 1.4 GB of disk space
VGA graphics card

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I've actually got the windows 98 start-up disc so i'm gonna give what Anatoly said a try.

·
54,424 Posts
well i meant the base needs for Ubuntu to run well seems to be more this year than it was last year. xubuntu has always been a bit lighter, by design. but ubuntu has more and more stuff, it may be a poor choice for an older low-end PC. theres some other distros which i havent played with yet but i hear good things about.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright so that didn't work. It wouldn't let me "upgrade" the system with an older model. So I'm giving Ubuntu a shot.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you only have an upgrade disc for 98?
From what i'm reading on the disc it's the initial start up disc. The system let's me go through the Scan disk and all but once it starts the install wizard it stops and says it can't be done.

·
Registered
339 Posts
well i meant the base needs for Ubuntu to run well seems to be more this year than it was last year. xubuntu has always been a bit lighter, by design. but ubuntu has more and more stuff, it may be a poor choice for an older low-end PC. theres some other distros which i havent played with yet but i hear good things about.
I see. I need to find an old system to play around with these light distros on. My old 98 machine disappeared years ago :nuts:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i thought i had the problem solved. I found my parents setup disc for windows XP but they're formatted(or something) for an HP, and the computer I'm trying to fix is a Gateway. It won't even let me use it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey baker, try to install your 98 through windows. so just put the Cd into Cd-rom then run the install. What kind of Video card you have? Ubuntu might not work because some old video cards it wont recognize. I did a paper on Ubuntu for my coledge, it's not that great :)
So did that screen with " To boot from Cd press any key " ever show up? Does the installation gave you the option to Format your hard drive and put a Fresh copy of 98?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey baker, try to install your 98 through windows. so just put the Cd into Cd-rom then run the install. What kind of Video card you have? Ubuntu might not work because some old video cards it wont recognize. I did a paper on Ubuntu for my coledge, it's not that great :)
So did that screen with " To boot from Cd press any key " ever show up? Does the installation gave you the option to Format your hard drive and put a Fresh copy of 98?
Yeah that screen came up and I went through all the motions. but it gave me that message that it couldn't be done. I'm not gonna try to fool anyone, I'm not that gifted when it comes to computers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts