Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I only have really just one question. I know how to paint, I just never used the blue tape to cover other painted areas while painting for lines and things like that.

Any how, when I prep the area for paint and put the tape like for example the license plate area. When I spray the paint should I remove the tape right away or should I let it dry and then remove it? I always sand and smooth the paint before the clear coat so, let me know. I really appreciate the help! :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
dont use blue ,use green its stronger, blue i believe is 15day release (not sticky) and it goes down from there. read the tape. green, blue ,white and some other colors. masking tape is 1 day release. if you use the blue tape the paint with seep under the tape and run.

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm going to paint and let it dry. Then sand a little bit and give it another thin coat. Once dry I guess I remove the tape and I will sand smooth the surface painted and surrounding areas. Then I will go ahead and put the clear coat with maybe 2 layers in the painted area and surrounded areas. Then rubbing compound, polish and wax.

Let me know if there is something I'm forgetting.

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It hasn't sold which is a miracle IMHO. So I'm thinking of keeping it, specially after the last baseline I created. Its giving me some really good MPG thats hard to ignore.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Well I'm going to paint and let it dry. Then sand a little bit and give it another thin coat. Once dry I guess I remove the tape and I will sand smooth the surface painted and surrounding areas. Then I will go ahead and put the clear coat with maybe 2 layers in the painted area and surrounded areas. Then rubbing compound, polish and wax.

Let me know if there is something I'm forgetting.
Could you give us an idea of what exactly you need painted and possibly a pic? If your just touching up a area you just sand it down with 600 grit, use some primer, sand again with 1000, then lay a thin layer of black. Lay about 4 light layers with wet sanding between each coat and keep going finer with the sand paper until you get to 2000 grit. If theres no orange peel and you've completely covered the area, go ahead and lay 2 coats of clear wet sanding with 2000 grit between. Finally let the paint cure for about a day then use light rubbing compound (I suggest TurtleWax thats in a white container with a green label, its only $2.99 and works great) then polish to make it shine. I use ICE for polishing, works amazing.

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
please keep the car LG, i noticed you sold the headers :cry: o-well, whatcha painting?
The things I told you, last time. I'm going to finish the paint job and do the black details, like the license plate area black as well as the bottom of the rear bumper below the SS insert, the side skirts vents and the front limp middle section.

Thats why I wanted to make sure about the tape removal since I will need to do that on the front lip and the license area on the rear bumper. I think I'll spend more time putting the tape than doing prep work and painting. The people that do this all the time have some really good techniques for placing the tape so they come out with smooth lines. So I'm hoping also to see if HIJACKER or anyone else that does paint work here might give me some pointers on that part too.

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
The things I told you, last time. I'm going to finish the paint job and do the black details, like the license plate area black as well as the bottom of the rear bumper below the SS insert, the side skirts vents and the front limp middle section.

Thats why I wanted to make sure about the tape removal since I will need to do that on the front lip and the license area on the rear bumper. I think I'll spend more time putting the tape than doing prep work and painting. The people that do this all the time have some really good techniques for placing the tape so they come out with smooth lines. So I'm hoping also to see if HIJACKER or anyone else that does paint work here might give me some pointers on that part too.
Remember man if you have any questions i have people i can ask, are they using single stage?

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Just make sure your tape is sealed completely and you should be fine, no real special techniques to it really. Just grab some green tape and a bunch of newspapers and you should be fine.

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand, I'm just worried about the lines not coming out perfectly straight and the curves in the edges not coming out right as it will need to be on the area surrounding the license plate.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Just try not to use one piece to make the oval shape on the license plate. Better to use several pieces that sit completely flush then one piece that bulges.

·
Registered
264 Posts
TIP: buy some pinstriping to make your designs and ovals, then tape to the pinstripe. you can make the pinstripe move the way you want it cause its thin, then the tape will over lap it. Also bend the end of the pinstripe and touch it to itself that way you can grab it easier to remove :)

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Pinstriping is not really meant for that purpose, it's not meant to be put on then taken off and it could leave goo from the glue. It actually has really strong adhesive which allows it to stick to the paint so that when you wash the car it doesn't come off. They make a special tape that painters use to create designs such as flames and shapes though I dont know the brand off the top of my head.

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, here is a picture of what I will be doing. Like they say, there is nothing new under the sun.

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
LG if you worried about your lines go to an ace hardware or something like that and they sell the green painters tape except for it's like 3/16" so that you can bend and morph it to you desires shape giving you "straight" lines

1 - 18 of 18 Posts