Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received my D2 coilovers a few days ago and was eager to put them on over the weekend. I followed the megan how to except my genius decided to start with the front and not the back :rant2: Anyways fronts fit perfect and but once I started the rear I couldn't get it off, had to cut it, cut some rubber and finally finished off with the old sanding off the rubber that was practically welded on there. So as I go to mount on the brand new coilovers guess what? :mecry2:







It's almost like the bolt that the coilover is suppose to sit on and the opening of hole in the coilover is flush.



A pic of the entire setup in the back (still haven't put in the camber kit yet). I tried looking up the numbers on the strut to see if it's oem eclipse but the previous owner seemed to have painted over it unintentionally. SIDE NOTE: The diameter of the bolt (female end) is about 15/16th's of an inch.




My questions are as follows:

1) did I get a wrong set of coilovers?? The box says eclipse 2000-2006 (ordered from joey)

2)did the previous owner put and entirely different setup for the rear suspension? ( The ride sucked and the rubber seemed to be welded on the bolt)

3) Do I just get a replacement knuckle if it's not OEM? ( believe it's part 2 or 3 on the rear suspension diagram)

Your input is much appreciated
 

·
Manual Swapped!!
Joined
·
5,977 Posts
It's either a wrong rear knuckle or the wrong rear coils were sent. Call D2's 800 number and verify part numbers. If its the right part it's the wrong knuckle. Go snag newish ones from a scrap yard
 

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
Joined
·
1,350 Posts
It looks to me like you didn't get the bushing off of that pin. Look very carefully at the end of it and see if you can notice a slight edge closer to the center (where the bolt threads in). The OE struts have the rubber isolator inside of which is a metal "sleeve" or "bushing" which is then in direct contact with the knuckle pin. This pin very often rusts itself on so that it appears to be one piece when in fact it is not. Look CAREFULLY. The reason I say this is because if you look right near where the hex for the pin is, there is a lip there still which is not supposed to be there. I believe that is your issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks to me like you didn't get the bushing off of that pin. Look very carefully at the end of it and see if you can notice a slight edge closer to the center (where the bolt threads in). The OE struts have the rubber isolator inside of which is a metal "sleeve" or "bushing" which is then in direct contact with the knuckle pin. This pin very often rusts itself on so that it appears to be one piece when in fact it is not. Look CAREFULLY. The reason I say this is because if you look right near where the hex for the pin is, there is a lip there still which is not supposed to be there. I believe that is your issue.
:hmm: well let me take a second look at that. If it is a metal bushing on there then, do you have any ideas on how to get it off? Cut it ? I don't have any ways to heat it unless I take the entire bolt of and put it in the oven.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
54,462 Posts
Get a propane torch and some big honkin channel locks. Heat the metal collar and grab with the channel locks and:

The bolt may come out, if it does you'll need to chuck it up in a vice and go at it there. You can cut a slit in it with a dremel too and use a hammer and chisel to peel it off. It sucks.
 

·
USN
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
I ended up buying a 34mm socket to get the whole assembly off. Then I just stuck it in a vice and had at it with the dremel and vice. That was a pita
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Nothing better than a gas axe for situations like this. You can get a small tank setup for about $300. Very portable, and a good idea for the average shade tree.

Glad you worked it out. Post pics please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nothing better than a gas axe for situations like this. You can get a small tank setup for about $300. Very portable, and a good idea for the average shade tree.

Glad you worked it out. Post pics please.
It came out perfect just in time for monday. All i did was basically cut two deep slits on each side of the bushing with a dremel and pried them apart with a screwdriver. I don't have many pics of the actual process but it is simple.

The before




The after

 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top