Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Here is a question for the emission guru's...

3K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Hardline 
#1 · (Edited)
As many of you know I am running a Haltech E8 EMS, and plenty of other goodies. Anyways, since the EVAP system is eleminated along with the valve, solenoid, EGR pipe etc...

Now since the gas tank uses, those parts as part of its emission system. You have basically 3 lines running from the tank. A fuel feed line, a fuel return line, and a fuel fume/gas line. Now considering that you dont have this EVAP system anymore. And the fume line line is blocked off, you can assume that during warm weather those hot gases will build up in the gas tank and can cause vapor lock in the fuel feed lines an cause the car to sputter.

Now if you would run a line with a one way valve from the fume/gas line that runs into the engine compartment, that used to be part of the EVAP system, then let it run to the intake manifold. (Think of the way the brake booster is constructed.) Would you expect it work similarly to that of the old EVAP system, that under vacuum it would suck those fumes out and then under boost the valve would close, and boost would not sneak into the gas tank?

Discuss.

#4 ·
+1

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation
EVAP is for the third line to the tank.

#3 ·
Vapor lock is very rare in fuel injected cars, especially ones with high fuel pressures. Vapor lock was a problem in carberated cars in the past when negative pressure was used to pull fuel from the tank.

especially with stainless steel lines, your lines will be protected from extreme heat and will hold that fuel pressure very well....

I would be more worried about running out of fuel than sucking in fuel vapor.... thats why i never run my car below 1/4 tank of gas.

#8 ·
Now if you would run a line with a one way valve from the fume/gas line that runs into the engine compartment, that used to be part of the EVAP system, then let it run to the intake manifold. (Think of the way the brake booster is constructed.) Would you expect it work similarly to that of the old EVAP system, that under vacuum it would suck those fumes out and then under boost the valve would close, and boost would not sneak into the gas tank?
That is how the evo's are setup. They have a small check valve to prevent boost from entering the gas tank.

#9 ·
I read up on it a bit in 17-91 of the manual. According to that chapter, the EVAP purge solenoid engages a specific times. Idle surprisingly, is not one of those times. My impression is you don't want to implement a strong, constant vacuum source going from the tank to the intake. Is there such a thing as a vacuum regulator? If so, and you can set it to like, 2-4 in/hg, that might be enough for your needs.

In order: tank===>Vac. Reg.=====>check valve====>intake. That's how I would try to tackle it.

#13 ·
Well either way, what about just putting on a breather filter on the end of the tube. Sometime this year I am putting in a new fuel cell and pump, so it won't matter as much.

I can see what you mean running a constant vaccum on the tank, high likely hood of sucking fuel when the tank is full.

#14 ·
well you'll want to put that tube somewhere else away from things that can catch it afire. also when the tank cools it'll suck in moist air from outside. def need a check valve!

#16 ·
well ideally it'd should be stock or controlled somehow, but since that probably wont happen the former is preferable from an operational standpoint. however the gasoline fumes seeping from the car are a fire hazard in my mind.

#19 ·
My ECU actually has the outputs and control for the EVAP but I dont use it.
I have the hoses hooked up like stock, but the purge valve is electrically disconnected and all of the outputs in the EMS cal are disabled.

I suppose I could set it up. :dunno: Never really thought about it too much.

However, I definately dont think that connecting it to unregulated (no electronically controlled purge solenoid) vacuum is a good idea.

#20 ·
its simple to set this up, get under the car, you will see the evap hose. vent it to the atmosphere away from any hot parts right there. this is the same thing you have to do with your fuel cell when you get one.

don't plug it, it will cause vacuum to form from the displacement of fuel. this vacuum in your fuel tank is usually enough to own some seals and deform the stock plastic tank.

#26 ·
yes sir, best way i've found out it to be is the way i did it.. i went through 3 different designs before ending up on that one, just need a cover now

#28 ·
since the EVAP Purge Valve is computer controlled, it will only open under its preset conditions. That is low load, and rpm over 1000, but below 4000, and fuel level of 2/3 or less. When you slam it to the floor, and the boost comes up, the ecm will automatically kill the flow from the tank as the load rises past 50%. The Valve will then block flow in either direction. Problem solved without doing a thing.

EDIT: I seen that you are running Emanage. The whole previous statement is out the window now............

It only applies to those who use OpenEcu and the Tactrix cable to tune their stock ECM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.