Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's nothing revolutionary performance-wise, but it's thin as hell.

Apple - MacBook Air

If you don't use optical drives often and have at least $1700, this looks pretty nice.

·
Hunky New-Comer
7,951 Posts
Pretty nice. No speakers?

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Wow! Just as I was about to purchase a 13" MacBook. I love the idea of not having a optical drive as I rarely use one, but unfortunately it looks like it would cost at least $3,000 to get the closest comparison to the MacBook($1,500) I’m looking at.

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
The looks are cool but the functionality isn't there for me. I want/need optical drives, the ability to output to a television or larger monitor, etc.

·
Ur a worthless noob
12,194 Posts
You should be able to output, unless I am mistaken. On the side, there is a usb, dvi or whatever and something else that is hidden

·
Symetrical AWD
11,216 Posts
The looks are cool but the functionality isn't there for me. I want/need optical drives, the ability to output to a television or larger monitor, etc.
It has a micro-DVI port, and you can use either an external optical drive or "Remote Disk".

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
Meh more stuff to carry around. I might be the wrong person to comment on laptops anyway. I'd take a cheaper more powerful desktop PC 9 time out of 10 over a lappy.

·
Premium Member
14,943 Posts
No Ethernet port (need Ethernet to USB converter), can get a solid state 64GB hard drive in it (something like a $1299 premium over the 80GB hard drive).

I'd wait a generation or 2.

·
Symetrical AWD
11,216 Posts
Meh more stuff to carry around. I might be the wrong person to comment on laptops anyway. I'd take a cheaper more powerful desktop PC 9 time out of 10 over a lappy.
The point of this thing isn't raw power or desktop replacement.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whats the point of it then, to have a really thin expensive laptop?
Umm...yeah, pretty much. This is a good option for those that wants something light (3 pounds), can be carried in a backpack (3/4" thick), and has a really good battery life (5 hours runtime for a full-size laptop is pretty damn good). Looking at the specifications, it's obvious this isn't for the power users, but more of an average Joe.

I will have to applaud Apple for release something as interesting as this, but certain aspect such as hard drive limitation (Slow, low capacity 80GB drive or the very, very expensive solid-state drive), lack of expandability (RAM is integrated into the system, battery is not replaceable, no ethernet port/optical drive) and fairly high price makes you wonder if this product would be more feasible for the mass consumers 2-3 years from now. For ultra portability, I don't think you can beat ASUS's EEE PC right now.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Umm...yeah, pretty much. This is a good option for those that wants something light (3 pounds), can be carried in a backpack (3/4" thick), and has a really good battery life (5 hours runtime for a full-size laptop is pretty damn good). Looking at the specifications, it's obvious this isn't for the power users, but more of an average Joe.

I will have to applaud Apple for release something as interesting as this, but certain aspect such as hard drive limitation (Slow, low capacity 80GB drive or the very, very expensive solid-state drive), lack of expandability (RAM is integrated into the system, battery is not replaceable, no ethernet port/optical drive) and fairly high price makes you wonder if this product would be more feasible for the mass consumers 2-3 years from now. For ultra portability, I don't think you can beat ASUS's EEE PC right now.

Where can I build and configure my own ASUS EEE online?

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
It's thin, but not the thinnest notebook ever. That honor belongs (as far as we know) to the 4-5 year old Sharp Actius MM10 Muramasa, which was 0.54" thick.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts