Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I cleaned my thottle body,(I did not spray inside the thottle body), and it idles at 1500 RPMS now, can anyone help?:(

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
ok, I cleaned my thottle body,(I did not spray inside the thottle body), and it idles at 1500 RPMS now, can anyone help?:(
Check the idle adjustment screw its ontop of hte throttle body, adjust it when the car is warm to the desired rpm. As well as besure you properly installed the throttle body with the gasket as well as the idle air control motor. Since any excessive air leaks will cause a higher idle rpm.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Before you adjust the idle screw, I'd take the thottle body off and clean it good inside and out...take the IAC off and clean it and the corresponding passages as well...

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Before you adjust the idle screw, I'd take the thottle body off and clean it good inside and out...take the IAC off and clean it and the corresponding passages as well...
He already cleaned it, no reason in repeating. Just has to make sure he installed it all correctly.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
He already cleaned it, no reason in repeating. Just has to make sure he installed it all correctly.
He said he cleaned it, but didn't clean inside...so he probably didn't clean out the IAC and it's ports...

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
He already cleaned it...
I think he used the term "cleaning" very very loosely.
...I did not spray inside the thottle body...
This is far from "cleaning". I'm guessing he just brushed off the outside.

1st things 1st though... before you start unplugged and disconnecting things from the TB.... Did you unbolt or remove the TPS sensor or the IAC? I would NOT remove the TPS. It should already be calibrated for the proper idle. If you had removed it then that is why you have a high idle (because the TPS is not situated EXACTLY like it was before it was removed). The TPS can be very finicky and diffcult to dial in exactly right. Also, when cleanng the IAC make sure you use the proper cleaner. I hear some cleaners can eat away at the sensor and mess it up royaly. Sorry, I dont recall which type of cleaner to use.

Oh ya, verify that your throttle body cable is not tight. If its too tight then it will cause your idle to raise (although technically you wouldn't really be at idle anymore as the engine would have a constant rev, just wouldn't fluctuate). Also, are you getting an SES codes? If so post them up.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did clean the inside,i dident evan take it off, but can i get a pic of where this screw is?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I did clean the inside,i dident evan take it off, but can i get a pic of where this screw is?
You cleaned it but didnt take it off?? Didnt take what off???

The screw i on the front top side of the TB, possibly under a small circular black rubber plug which pops off with a flathead screwdriver or thin knife/tool.

Check the FSM if you need a pic.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If you didn't take it off, you hardly cleaned it...

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you dissconected the battery (which I hope you did), don't forget to let the car idle for about 20mins to let the ECU relearn the correct idle. It could just be that you're running rich while the ECU goes through its paces.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok let me set this all stright. I just cleaned the inside(sprayed a towel with intake and thottle boby cleaner) and wiped it out thats it.I did not take anything off.

What should I do now?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Reset your ECU by disconnecting the battery for 20 mins. Make sure to have your antitheft code for your radio handy if you are still using the OEM one. Reconnect the battery and start the car. Let it IDLE for 20 mins without touching the gas or anything (unless required to keep it running). If it stalls just restart it ad let it keep idling. Once the 20mins are up it should be ready to drive with an idle around 700-800RPM. If not I would guess you have a leak somewhere near where the throttle body and the intake join. You can spray carb cleaner around that area with the car running to see if there is a vacuum leak. If you spray it and the engine idle changes then you have found the leak right where you just sprayed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
^^^Do a quick once over to make sure you tightened everything down before doing the reset. If the intake tube isn't securly on the tb, you'll have problems even if you reset.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
^^^Do a quick once over to make sure you tightened everything down before doing the reset. If the intake tube isn't securly on the tb, you'll have problems even if you reset.
Reset your ECU by disconnecting the battery for 20 mins. Make sure to have your antitheft code for your radio handy if you are still using the OEM one. Reconnect the battery and start the car. Let it IDLE for 20 mins without touching the gas or anything (unless required to keep it running). If it stalls just restart it ad let it keep idling. Once the 20mins are up it should be ready to drive with an idle around 700-800RPM. If not I would guess you have a leak somewhere near where the throttle body and the intake join. You can spray carb cleaner around that area with the car running to see if there is a vacuum leak. If you spray it and the engine idle changes then you have found the leak right where you just sprayed.
:agreed:

Ok let me set this all stright. I just cleaned the inside(sprayed a towel with intake and thottle boby cleaner) and wiped it out thats it.I did not take anything off.

What should I do now?
And for the record...this is hardly cleaning the throttle body...I'm not sure it really would have accomplished anything...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts