Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a curb today like an idiot at around 15 mph (maybe a bit less).

From what I could see, the wheel's spokes snapped on impact, and the wheel was caught in the wheel well, supporting the frame high enough to avoid any scraping. Aside from the obvious, the only damage I was able to be sure of was a broken bolt-looking thing (the one connecting the knuckle to the control arm, on the bottom outside of the control arm, now covered in blue fluid -I'm guessing lubricant/grease). The whole hub now has a little shake to it, but the coilover is solid and doesn't shake. I was looking on RockAuto and Oemmitsubishiparts.com, but couldn't find a part number for it (was uncertain of which one it was).

I'll take more pictures tomorrow, but would it be a straight fix of replacing that broken bolt, or is there a realistic possibility of other parts needing replaced (ie. the whole knuckle/control arm, rotor, etc.)?

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Knuckle, coilover, control arm at the very least. I'd be willing to bet you bent the subframe too.
^This

I would also check the strut tower to see if that is bent as well.

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts
Knuckle, coilover, control arm at the very least. I'd be willing to bet you bent the subframe too.
+1 also steering components, and possibly a sway bar. There's a good chance your strut tower may be damaged too like Eric mentioned, especially since it seems to be a weak point for rust. Got more photos?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks and oh jeez... Yeah I woke up today, took a more detailed look at the car, and searched around and here's what I have so far:

Replace front bumper, send coilover to BC for inspection, replace knuckle, replace control arm, replace subframe, replace wheels, get another alignment.

Is there anything else that may have possibly been damaged?

Thanks again.

Edit: Wow didn't realize more posts. I think the tower is fine, haven't seen any rust there and when I checked it yesterday it looked fine. I'll go take pictures.

·
Lurker
825 Posts
Think it's at all worth it to get your insurance involved? Technically it's an accident, and if you have full coverage and a decent deductible, they could cover the repairs.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Haha funnay. Nah but I was actually saving up money for Motegi MR125's and RE11's, so I'm actually not that pissed off at myself. Yet.

Here are some pictures I just took, I marked some things that look damaged and things that you guys have already mentioned:

The inner tie rod/outer tie rod is bent, it's more noticeable in the second picture. I'm not sure if there is damage to the sway bar, do you guys notice anything wrong with it? The silver thing that I think to be the subframe looks to be bent downwards towards the front, but the other side looks exactly the same. Are both sides bent?

Here's another angle.

This bolt thing is knocked slanted, and it's covered in blue viscous liquid that I think is lubricant/grease?

The control arm is damaged, and I think that's the ABS wires that are frayed?

Another angle:

And here are two more photos to see if I might have missed anything?

Is there anything else that looks damaged that I missed?

Think it's at all worth it to get your insurance involved? Technically it's an accident, and if you have full coverage and a decent deductible, they could cover the repairs.
I do have full coverage, but I'm a senior in high school. I have some money saved up from my job, and I'm trying to check the cost of all this to see if I can go out of pocket to avoid stupidly high insurance rates. :/ I probably will go to insurance though if it turns out to be a lot of work, college apps are killing me.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
835 Posts
@Sisyphus58 ....... Thank you for responding to Fast GTS... Did you use the decoder ring again???

Reading through that post tho I can't believe he did that much damage to his car at 15 MPH....

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
292 Posts
@Sisyphus58 ....... Thank you for responding to Fast GTS... Did you use the decoder ring again???

Reading through that post tho I can't believe he did that much damage to his car at 15 MPH....
yeah, I know, cracked a knuckle mount completely off, which doesn't give me much faith in its strength, and their discontinued, too!
And no, I didn't need the decoder ring this time...the transgression was rather obvious and a no-brainer. But who knows, maybe those two have a "history," despite being fairly new members.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts