Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 141K on the clock on my '93 Honda Accord LX. It has the ZOMG! Honda Big Block! 2.2L SOHC in it and an A/T.

I've run three tanks of gas through it now, and I'm getting an abysmal 23-25mpg. WTF, over? The vast majority of my mileage is highway, running at about 75mph.

This thing needs to get better mileage, or I'm dumping it like a bad habit. I know most of the Honduh kiddies are too busy trying to make their rides "fast" (*cough*) or "look dope" (*choke*) to notice a silly thing like gas mileage, but what am I missing?

For good measure, I'm swapping all of the fluids, plugs, etc. this weekend. If I don't start seeing 30mpg on the highway... Peace out to teh Hooptie.

·
AHHHHHH!!!
32 Posts
With that amount of mileage i would guess it's most likely:

dirty fuel injectors

distributor cap & rotor

plugs & wires

fuel filter/air filter

Also change A/T fluid and add 1 bottle of Lubeguard (it dose work well for older transmissions).

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
Could it need a valve adjustment? I think Honda for some reason stuck with ancient style solid lifters up until a few years ago, which need lash adjustments every 50k miles or so.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
How's the compression on the motor? I know my parents '91 Camry that has about 225k miles on it has pretty shot piston rings. Thing doesn't accelerate worth a damn and doesn't get very good mileage. But it's only used to go back and forth between the house and the train station by my mother so it doesn't matter much.

·
Hello :)
4,866 Posts
I had a 93 Honda accord LX with over 220,000 miles on it and it was the best mileage car ever. I was getting around 34 on the highway maybe even more. My best bet is change the fuel injectors, check your PSI in tires > pretty much what AntMuncher said

·
BCS = t3h suck
1,393 Posts
Could it need a valve adjustment? I think Honda for some reason stuck with ancient style solid lifters up until a few years ago, which need lash adjustments every 50k miles or so.

ya, I think you are right. :agreed:

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
possibly in need of an o2 sensor change. . . .(if it hasn't ever been ... changed that is. . . )

·
Premium Member
24,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the answer could possibly be all of the above, but I did find that the thermostat was partially stuck open when on the highway.

Temperature plummeted, heater stopped blowing hot... Yeah. Kills mileage, too. :dunno:

Still, I'm running through the rest of the list. O2 sensor, Seafoam, plugs, yada yada yada.

·
I r bad spellr, stfu
4,028 Posts
Needz more stikerz, but make them of gas companies. The tuner stickers make mo' HP, why not mo' MPG outta sticker?

(I think that these guys hit it on the head, do a tuneup/replace the ez stuff and see it that works, if not, get a geo :D)

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
Mike, it could be the speed. seriously. my honda has the 1.8 in it and I get around 36-40 under "normal" conditions but if I'm on the highway at 75-80mph the milage drops to around 32 mpg. :dunno: but in reality it's probbaly a combination of everything here. :lol:

·
54,424 Posts
like everyone said above, but if this is your hoopty fuel saver dont just throw parts at it, that would defeat the purpose of saving money! hook your DVOM (i'll just assume you have one) to the primary O2 and go for a highway cruise, it should hang around bias voltage, if its looking a little rich the go after the ignition system parts. if its looking like its jumping around too much, bite the bullet and pull the injectors and send them out to be cleaned and balanced (or run the car on an injector cleaning machine). if it just looks like its a bum sensor (slow to switch, or slow to respond) then change that fucker out. i'll suggest a denso 'first time fit' sensor. its all the shop uses and we never have any comeback with bad ones.

check the compression on the hot engine with fresh oil, if you have one or more low cylinders then try about 1/2 can of seafoam in the oil and a 45 minute spin around town, then change oil/filter and recheck. i'll also suggest in addition to the new trans fluid about 1/2 bottle of gunk trans seal sweller. it comes in a yellow bottle and just 2oz of the stuff really stiffened the shifts in the geo.

dont forget to clean the massairflow (if its not a speed density based system, duh), check for vac leaks, make sure the throttle cable isnt slacked, just go over the engine with a fine toothed comb and make sure everything is tight and clean.

·
Premium Member
24,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've already done most of that list, Bitter. Funny story about the MAF, though.

So, I was fucking around with the fucking thermostat swap for the last couple of weeks - I'll tell that story in just a second - and pulling the intake apart each time. I've gotten really fast at it.

Anyway, it was about the third or fourth time I was disassembling the intake when I realized that there was no MAF. None whatsoever. I thought, ZOMG! Honda, in the end of the '80s, engineered their flagship ride for a speed density tune?! No shit? And these Accords are everywhere, man. This is the car that earned Honda their reputation. Seriously? No MAF?!

Fuck MAFs. I hate trying to tune with the MAF in the GTO.

Anyway, the damned thermostat.

So, I replaced the thermostat, but didn't buy a new rubber trim ring that installs around the thermostat and serves as the 'gasket.' I pulled the old one out, cleaned up five pounds of coolant crust from the housing, and reinstalled it. Leaked. Took it all apart again (including the intake), bought a new rubber, replaced it, put it all back together again.

Leaked.

Took it all apart, threw some silicone around the housing and put it back together. Leaked.

By this point, I was ready to shit bricks and build a fort.

Took it all apart again, looked for gouges or imperfections in the t-stat housing. Didn't see a damned thing. So I put it all back together and called the one mechanic in my town. I said, "It leaks. I don't care if you fucking JB Weld the thermostat housing on; just make it not leak."

He went through the same steps I did. Pulled it apart, cleaned up the mating surfaces, put it back together, and it leaked. Pulled it apart again, milled down the t-stat housing for a squeaky-clean perfect surface, put it back together again, and it leaked. Finally, with a mirror, he discovered that the HOSE wasn't tight enough, and the coolant was leaking DOWN ALONG THE NECK of the housing and finally dripping down from the flange.

...So, it was probably actually that all along. :uh: :lol:

Fucking cars, man. FUCKING CARS.

·
54,424 Posts
:lol: that mike, and i dont mean to tease you at all bud...is a nice novice mistake. we tighten those screw clamps till the rubber squeezes out of the slots and then retighten them again after the system is burped.

i too love not having a MAF, one less part to fucking break.

as for your shitty mileage if you've done most of that then i'm not sure....is there a fuel leak? i've read some great threads where people have done EVERYTHING underhood to the engine, fuel system, induction system, and ignition system only to find they had a pinhole leak somewhere in the system. the best one was on an old toyota corolla, he had a pinhole in his return line that only leaked under pressure back by the tank. it ran down some other lines leaked ONTO a shield over the exhaust and evaporated away. he lost a good 5-8mpg overnight and was pretty alarmed.

has this decline been sudden or gradual? i've dropped to about 23-25mpg from all the idling my car has done to warm up in the cold, the draw from the rear defrost, blower on high, and headlights. those 3 things REALLY do impact mileage. that alternator draw is a small constant drag that adds up more than most realize on smaller engines.

if you can post up everything you've done and a little more about the problem i'll think on it some.

·
Premium Member
24,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I honestly can't call it gradual, as I've only run three tanks of gas through the car.

Truth be told, 25mpg may be as much as I can expect. I'm at altitude, we're using piss-water winter blend 85 octane, the car is an automatic, and I'm running it at 75-80mph on the highway. Plus, it wasn't running at operating temperature previously. Soo... :dunno:

·
I now has Mitsu AWD.
701 Posts
before i got my 3G, i had a 99 civic dx sedan. it started off with a 1.6 SOHC non-VTEC and 4 speed auto. the car had 199K on the clock when my father gave it to me. it was a gas sipper for sure, running on 89 octane i got 38, yes that is no typo... 38 MPG. how the fuck i managed that with about 200K i have no idea... anyways i did the infamous "mini-me" swap, taking a VTEC head and putting it on the D16y7 block, D16y8 intake manifold, EX ecu, and an EX 5-speed tranny swap. well the guy i got the ECU from said his car was a manual... it was from a damn auto because i couldnt get the car to start and it threw tranny codes like no other. so i finally got another EX manual ecu, worked.

i tuned it, got VTEC working exactly when it was supposed to (like 5250 rpms or so) and everything was fine... still got around 35 mpg or so... i want to say that with that car, as slow as it was, i kinda drove like a grandma so maybe thats why i got great mpg's.

one problem i did run into right before i sold it was i made the mistake (ok i was a little intoxicated so i didnt know i was making a mistake... lol) of flying down a gravel road at about 60 mph. i had heard a loud THUMP coming from up front, then about 10 minutes later noticed my engine temp was rising and started sputtering, also heard a vacuuming noise. car died. i get it home the next day and look around, couldn't find anything wrong, then went up under the car... found coolant running all down the back of the block. i look up at the intake manifold... a nice big crack on the lower part of the manifold where the coolant runs through it and ended up cracking upwards, so the vacuuming sound was the noise of the air being sucked through the crack. it seemed that several rocks had hit the same area at one time from seeing a bunch of chunks taken off the metal on the intake.

so i replaced the manifold, cleaned it up... sold it with 210K for $2200.

·
54,424 Posts
I honestly can't call it gradual, as I've only run three tanks of gas through the car.

Truth be told, 25mpg may be as much as I can expect. I'm at altitude, we're using piss-water winter blend 85 octane, the car is an automatic, and I'm running it at 75-80mph on the highway. Plus, it wasn't running at operating temperature previously. Soo... :dunno:
oh, so the car is new to you then?

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts

I've never even heard of 85 octane... lol

By me its 87-89-93-100

·
54,424 Posts
I've never even heard of 85 octane... lol

By me its 87-89-93-100
you're not a mile high either, things are different up there with thinner air. less oxygen for mike to think with :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts