Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just bought my second 3g (first gt) and trying to fix little things here and there. Right now I'm trying to solve the issue of the horn going off constantly unless the relay is pulled and I read somewhere this is caused from a bad clock spring.

My current 3g is a 2000, but my local Mitsubishi dealership can no longer get the clock springs for that year as it's discontinued, but are able to get if for a 03-05.

What are the differences between them and will the 03-05 version work in my car?

Also if anyone knows a way to fix the current one or knows where I can find an alternative clock spring, I'm willing to take suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
473 Posts
In addition to the horn switch, make sure the horn relay isn't stuck in the on position.

If it turns out that the clock spring is at fault, I'm pretty sure the 2003-2005 clock spring will not work unless you modify the car's wiring harness and connector. There are more "wires" inside the 2003-2005 clock spring, to support the steering wheel radio controls found on the 2003-2005. The best place to source a replacement OEM clock spring is a junkyard, or a junkyard aggregator like car-part.com.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd check first and make sure that the horn switch isn't bent.
In addition to the horn switch, make sure the horn relay isn't stuck in the on position.

If it turns out that the clock spring is at fault, I'm pretty sure the 2003-2005 clock spring will not work unless you modify the car's wiring harness and connector. There are more "wires" inside the 2003-2005 clock spring, to support the steering wheel radio controls found on the 2003-2005. The best place to source a replacement OEM clock spring is a junkyard, or a junkyard aggregator like car-part.com.
I appreciate the responses, I was trying to figure out where the location of the horn switch, but wasn't able to find anything online. I'm assuming it should be underneath the airbag, which won't be too bad for me to get access too, I just need a general idea of what I'm supposed to be looking for haha.

I verified the relay before posting, I used the relay for the power windows, which caused the same behavior.

That's what I was worried about, so hopefully that's a worse case scenario, as right now their is only one eclipse at the junkyard, but it's a 2005.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
473 Posts
I appreciate the responses, I was trying to figure out where the location of the horn switch, but wasn't able to find anything online. I'm assuming it should be underneath the airbag, which won't be too bad for me to get access too, I just need a general idea of what I'm supposed to be looking for haha.
The horn switch is embedded in the airbag assembly, but you can disconnect the horn wire and if the horn stops, that indicates a problem with the switch. Disconnect the battery to prevent an accidental firing. Then completely loosen the two T25 torx screws; one on each side of the steering wheel. There's a few wires between the airbag and the hub, and you're looking for a single black wire with an insulated quick disconnect. Unplug that wire, and the airbag connector for good measure. Then reconnect the battery and see if the horn stops.

Another thought: we're assuming that the horn you hear is the steering wheel horn. There's a separate horn for the alarm system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The horn switch is embedded in the airbag assembly, but you can disconnect the horn wire and if the horn stops, that indicates a problem with the switch. Disconnect the battery to prevent an accidental firing. Then completely loosen the two T25 torx screws; one on each side of the steering wheel. There's a few wires between the airbag and the hub, and you're looking for a single black wire with an insulated quick disconnect. Unplug that wire, and the airbag connector for good measure. Then reconnect the battery and see if the horn stops.

Another thought: we're assuming that the horn you hear is the steering wheel horn. There's a separate horn for the alarm system.
The horn for the alarm system works just the horn relay is removed to prevent it from going off.

I did exactly as you instructed and it does appear to be the horn switch, so that's a plus.

Not entirely sure where to go from here as I was expecting the switch to look like a metal tab, not a contact patch. Any thoughts?

I really do appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
473 Posts
Not entirely sure where to go from here as I was expecting the switch to look like a metal tab, not a contact patch. Any thoughts?
I've never taken the actual airbag apart, so I'm not certain. If it's something like the patch is supposed to be glued to the rubber cover and it's come loose, then maybe you can glue it back in place. Otherwise you might have to replace the airbag assembly. I'm afraid of removing the rubber airbag cover to see, and having the airbag cloth get all unfolded and me not refolding it correctly so it doesn't work right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never taken the actual airbag apart, so I'm not certain. If it's something like the patch is supposed to be glued to the rubber cover and it's come loose, then maybe you can glue it back in place. Otherwise you might have to replace the airbag assembly. I'm afraid of removing the rubber airbag cover to see, and having the airbag cloth get all unfolded and me not refolding it correctly so it doesn't work right.
Yea, I fully disassembled the airbag and in the front of the bag their is a pocket that the horn switch sits in. I cross referenced the part number and was unable to find a replacement, so my options are to either get a new airbag, make my own switch or aftermarket steering wheel. For now I will just live with it and make a decision later on. Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
473 Posts
It's fairly common to find people parting out the car on the Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G facebook group. You'll have a hard time getting someone to ship the airbag with the explosive squib in it, but I'll bet you can find someone to sell just the black rubber cover and horn switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts