Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wondering how i can achieve at least 350 hp or 300 hp the cheapest and safest way . i know a little but not a whole lot . i know exhausted and intake but what else. tune? turbo? please no hate. thank you.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
380 Posts
There's a whole sub-forum here on forced injection; I'd start there. Your options depend on whether you have the 2.4 or 3.0 engine, but as an NA guy with no first-hand FI experience, I don't think there's a cheap and safe way to get to 300 hp. You can look at other members' builds and what sort of power they produced. Many have got to the 350 range (and beyond!), but it's a lot of work and money.

·
Registered
2002 Eclipse GT 5 Speed
64 Posts
i am wondering how i can achieve at least 350 hp or 300 hp the cheapest and safest way . i know a little but not a whole lot . i know exhausted and intake but what else. tune? turbo? please no hate. thank you.
Well it all depends on what you have. Give us some details of what you have or what model of 3G you're looking to buy because it varies whether or not you're auto vs. manual, 2.4L or 3.0L, if you want NA, Turbo or supercharged, and how much you're willing to spend to get there.

Start with giving us what car model you own (RS, GS, GT or GTS) and if it is auto or manual then we can start there and help you further.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it all depends on what you have. Give us some details of what you have or what model of 3G you're looking to buy because it varies whether or not you're auto vs. manual, 2.4L or 3.0L, if you want NA, Turbo or supercharged, and how much you're willing to spend to get there.

Start with giving us what car model you own (RS, GS, GT or GTS) and if it is auto or manual then we can start there and help you further.
i’m looking to buy a 2003 eclipse gts manual

·
Registered
2002 Eclipse GT 5 Speed
64 Posts
i’m looking to buy a 2003 eclipse gts manual
So, we're off to a better start here! Yes, you can definitely do 300hp - 350hp on the GT but how are you planning to go about doing that? NA, Turbo, Supercharged, perhaps engine swapping as well??? You gotta tell us what you're trying to do and what the plan is my dude. We need to know what your ideas are for it to be able to fully get an idea of what you want so we can recommend you in the right places as there is multiple ways to skin a cat so give us the details of what you're wanting to go, then we can send some links and start you off reading some threads.

What is your budget and what is the car going to be used for? quick daily, drag car..? These are the questions you gotta answer to also know what you're trying to get into.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, we're off to a better start here! Yes, you can definitely do 300hp - 350hp on the GT but how are you planning to go about doing that? NA, Turbo, Supercharged, perhaps engine swapping as well??? You gotta tell us what you're trying to do and what the plan is my dude. We need to know what your ideas are for it to be able to fully get an idea of what you want so we can recommend you in the right places as there is multiple ways to skin a cat so give us the details of what you're wanting to go, then we can send some links and start you off reading some threads.

What is your budget and what is the car going to be used for? quick daily, drag car..? These are the questions you gotta answer to also know what you're trying to get into.
okay first off thank you for the help. what i am wondering is what would be the safest cheapest way, a turbo or supercharger or what. my budget would like to be about 5000 dollars but if that’s realistic then lmk what could i get done cheaply at first and what are the best items and how much horsepower does each add. my plan for the car would be a quick daily driver. is 300-350 easily attainable on this car or what?

·
USN
1,076 Posts
I know supercharger was a reasonable option with the 3.0, but trying to source the RIPP supercharger will eat most of that budget if you found one. If you want to turbo, check this link. It has everything you need. Keep in mind, it is old information so there may be easier/better ways to do it. As for 5k, I really can't speak on that. There is also the cost of not having that vehicle around to think about. You could do intake, exhaust, and headers with a tune to get maybe 20? Kind of guessing on that number, but your car will be slight faster and way louder. Safe way would be to swap in a 3.8 and turbo that, but that will add in a lot of extra cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know supercharger was a reasonable option with the 3.0, but trying to source the RIPP supercharger will eat most of that budget if you found one. If you want to turbo, check this link. It has everything you need. Keep in mind, it is old information so there may be easier/better ways to do it. As for 5k, I really can't speak on that. There is also the cost of not having that vehicle around to think about. You could do intake, exhaust, and headers with a tune to get maybe 20? Kind of guessing on that number, but your car will be slight faster and way louder. Safe way would be to swap in a 3.8 and turbo that, but that will add in a lot of extra cost.
this might be a dumb question but will a gts be faster then most cars on the road with just upgraded intake and exhaust and the easier stuff like will i be able to tell a difference in power from that compared to my buddys stock ford fusion

·
USN
1,076 Posts
I'm not sure. I kind of skipped that range of HP with my cars. Went from the 147 of the RS to something over 400 that can do 0-60 in less than half the time. You might shave a couple 1/10s off time wise, but you will have a feeling that it is so much quicker. It's probably more a mental state than anything. You throw that part on there cause you hear it adds 5 more HP and it sound better, it's a little different, so you think it's that much faster, but the difference is trivial. I'm not trying to rain on a parade, but it's what I've noticed from people on here back in the day. On certain days, my car just feel like everything is super smooth and it quicker than normal. Is it really, though? Or is it just my imagination?

They build these cars pretty well compared to something like a civic which is a lot more restricted and swapping a few parts can get decent power gains. The gains are there, just not in a quantity that is as drastic.

·
Registered
797 Posts
this might be a dumb question but will a gts be faster then most cars on the road with just upgraded intake and exhaust and the easier stuff like will i be able to tell a difference in power from that compared to my buddys stock ford fusion
Your car will be faster than most cars on the road if the road is populated with only stock 3Gs.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,343 Posts
@tytiscannon ...Welcome to the site...
First...from what I read you are still looking to buy a 2003 Eclipse GTS.
Do you have another Mitsubishi?
I suggest you use the search bar at the top of your page and read as much as you can about gaining horsepower. It's not as easy as one two three. In the old days, you could change out the cam ...add a bigger carb...intake, and exhaust, and get plenty of power. In the case of these cars, it was easy to find power. Not so with the Eclipse. First... you are dealing with a computer...ECM...Yes, you can get bigger cam's but the computer won't like it. You can get bigger injectors and again the computer will say what the hell. You need to learn the fundamentals of this engine before you waste your money and destroy your motor. Find out what other members have done to obtain the HP that you are looking for. The search bar is your best friend...
Again...Welcome to the site and happy hunting for your GTS.
Talking about Horsepower...Read this article and watch the video's...

·
Registered
2002 Eclipse GT 5 Speed
64 Posts
okay first off thank you for the help. what i am wondering is what would be the safest cheapest way, a turbo or supercharger or what. my budget would like to be about 5000 dollars but if that’s realistic then lmk what could i get done cheaply at first and what are the best items and how much horsepower does each add. my plan for the car would be a quick daily driver. is 300-350 easily attainable on this car or what?
Now, if this was say, 2006, I would've said turbocharging is probably your best bet for any kind of way to get there. But in 2022, I know it's never been easier to make 300hp NA than it has been within he last few years. Especially with any of our V6's we use from 3.0L 6G72, 3.5L 6G74 and both 3.8L 6G75 MIVEC or Non-MIVEC swaps. But if you're trying to get there, it would require you go one of two routes:

1. Engine swapping. You're most likely going to need to go either 6G75 Non-MIVEC or MIVEC in order to get close to or at 300hp the easiest. Sometimes you can do that to the wheels with the right tune and bolt-ons on 93 or especially on E85.

2. Going full bolt-ons and E85 conversion, possibly putting a more aggressive camshaft in your car to get more power from it. But if you go this route, it's going to take more than just intake headers and an exhaust system to get you there since those mods are usually the least effective to do and are more so for sound than anything since you're not gonna get much from them unless you do other mods like upgrading the 72 Upper Intake Plenum for one that comes off a 3.5L 6G74 or 6G75 Non-MIVEC with the corresponding throttle body like I have on my car as I had help getting it installed from someone I known for a couple years that was a long time member on here who helped with the install and such. I even know a guy who told me that his GTS got around 286whp (over 300hp crank) on E85 but going E85 would also require you to upgrade your fuel pump to a walboro 255 to even get that going and you'll need to get a tune for it as well.

Like I said, getting that amount of power out of a 3G especially with a stock block is more than possible, with low boost you can definitely do that and like I said, with E85 would be able to do it a bit safer too since it's less knock resistant than 93 Octane as far as my memory serves. But you're going to not only have to fin a shop that would make you the turbo parts to get it done, as there is no kits out there that would work for these cars, and no, none of those ebay kits would work as those are trash. Leave those to those ebay civic guys cuz they're probably the only ones who actually can get away with using them. Do some research and decide which way you want to go because either way you go is going to take some knowledge skill and a lil bit of know how to do but nothing too crazy I'd say. And again, if you truly want 300 - 350 horsepower, it will take more than just I/H/E to get there. And if you can find someone who can tune your car, as there's a couple people who can either on this forum or on FB since that is where everyone has migrated too, then you should be more than set to get it all done!

Now, I do hope that with this information you take a look at some of the members rides threads and comb through them, not to copy their mods verbatim, but to get an idea on what some of us are doing to go fast and see if it's something you may like. Or read some of the GT/GTS Specific threads to know what it may take to get to where you wanna go. SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH my friend! Anyways, let us know what you decide on and then once you buy that Eclipse, make a members ride thread so we can watch the progress!

Good Luck 🌝

·
Registered
81 Posts
NOS is the cheapest way to produce the horsepower you want but it will fry your motor after a couple of runs.

·
Registered
2002 Eclipse GT 5 Speed
64 Posts
NOS is the cheapest way to produce the horsepower you want but it will fry your motor after a couple of runs.
It depends really because there's a guy named "Remrem3G" on Instagram and YouTube who has ran both 72 and currently a 74 swap he has that both were stock block and lasted really well with nitrous.

The 72 made about 350whp come to think of it and if it wasn't for other problems with the car before he swapped it over, it could've went faster than the 13 he put down (should've went faster than that but like I said, he was having some issues)

Then after he 74 swapped, he put nitrous on it too which is currently what he is running and he has made closer to 500whp stock block, stock cam and everything. Tuned by a guy name Andrew as well, so the V6 are indeed capable of lasting with nitrous. Just needs a proper tune and setup to go with it to truly last is all.

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
I'll be that guy. I would recommend putting money into everything except making power first if you want to have a fun car to drive. Power is great in a straight line but I have way more fun in my 200hp shitbox that has extensive suspension work done to it, especially in any sort of real driving conditions.

Straight line speed is cool, but I love driving in the mountains and laughing at the yellow speed caution signs. With my setup I can usually do double those speeds (And stay under the limit;)) with no tire noise or fear of the car being unsettled.

End story, this is a 20+ year old platform without the easy mod-a-bilty of other typical tuner cars with better engines/drivetrains/etc. Doesn't mean it can't be a crap top of fun though.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
380 Posts
I would recommend putting money into everything except making power first if you want to have a fun car to drive.
Seconded. Also, it's a lot more fun to drive a car that's reliable, with nice paint and clean interior. My car is nearly bone stock but it's immaculately maintained, so I get appreciative nods all the time from other car guys because it's a sharp-looking car. It's been my DD for 20 years and starts great, runs great, drives great, and (IMHO) looks great.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,343 Posts
I agree with @MCMike37 and @jelazar ...My theory is a cruise and look good or go fast and go to jail. ( unless it's done on a track )...In fact...I have been searching the maps to see roads in my area that twist and turn to enjoy my pride and joy. I came across this while searching... Ontario's Best Twisties
From where I live it's a three-hour drive just to get to the start of a 26k stretch of twists and turns. A couple of other fellows and myself are planning on checking it out. The road I.m talking about is number 5 from that link. I did a Google drive and it looks like it will be a lot of fun.
Ecoregion Map World Nature Line

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
454 Posts
My issue with doing a 350hp "daily driver" based on a 3g platform is. how many days are you going to drive it and how many days will it be out of service. The fun is being able to USE it. Just trying to be realistic here. You also need to be realistic about your skill level and the tooling resources you have available. It has been my experience that the farther you deviate from stock, the more you become your own engineer and fabricator. One can get himself in to some sticky situations. Take it from an old timer with lots of shop time. ...J.D.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'll be that guy. I would recommend putting money into everything except making power first if you want to have a fun car to drive. Power is great in a straight line but I have way more fun in my 200hp shitbox that has extensive suspension work done to it, especially in any sort of real driving conditions.

Straight line speed is cool, but I love driving in the mountains and laughing at the yellow speed caution signs. With my setup I can usually do double those speeds (And stay under the limit;)) with no tire noise or fear of the car being unsettled.

End story, this is a 20+ year old platform without the easy mod-a-bilty of other typical tuner cars with better engines/drivetrains/etc. Doesn't mean it can't be a crap top of fun though.
O man!!!! the man, the myth, the legend, you still come around to these neck of the woods. but in all reality this man speaks truth he was wise when the forum just started and Im sure his knowledge has grown far beyond one can think about. When I was younger all i wanted to do was make more power that gets expensive very fast especially if you have friends that tend to push your buttons talking trash on whos car is faster, which mine did all the time. Now that we are all older having more seat time is more important us. Drive fast for 10-15 seconds dosent sound as apealing than driving on a track for 20+ mins has hard as you can and as fast as you can. The feeling of catching a car with more horsepower than you in the corners is one of the best feelings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts