Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hates Electrical
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I cover under the hood of my stock 2000 GS if I want to spray some Engine Brite on it and rinse it off with water? What should I use to keep the water off the wiring?

I guess the alternator, what else though?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Don't worry about it...make sure all your fluid reservoirs are closed, and dont spray water directly down into the intake (if a few drops splash in there it'll be fine). People have to be more careful with older cars with carburetors and distributors, but the electronics on our cars are fine...wanna clean my engine while you're at it? :lol:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Use simple green. Spray down your engine with it (make sure it's been turned off for a couple of hours so it's cool.) Then let it sit for a couple of min and spray it off with a hose. It works great at getting dirt and grease off.

·
Anastacia HOE!!!!
4,507 Posts
Just dont get any of it on your Intake pipe if you have a Intake. It will stain it and look like POOP!! Id recomend using suran wrap or however its spelt and cover the intake pipe and the altenator. The rest would be fine.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Just dont get any of it on your Intake pipe if you have a Intake. It will stain it and look like POOP!! Id recomend using suran wrap or however its spelt and cover the intake pipe and the altenator. The rest would be fine.
:agreed: if he has an aftermarket intake...I think he said it was still stock though...:dunno:

·
Red Beast
1,164 Posts
You can spray down the whole engine with water. The alternater will be fine if it gets wet as long as you let it dry for a while. Simply green should work good if your engine isn't really dirty. If you have oil leaks and gunk then use something stronger. Pretty much, spray it down with water, then spray on degresser, let it sit for a few minutes, rinse with water again, and then let it dry good.

·
Registered
846 Posts
So u can use a power washer on the engine like at the self serve car washes? or is it better to just use ur garden hose from ur house?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So u can use a power washer on the engine like at the self serve car washes? or is it better to just use ur garden hose from ur house?
It depends on how dirty it is...if the extra force is needed, power wash away. Power washers/steam cleaners are what is used throughout the industry for fleet maintenance...there's no reason why it wouldn't work on your personal car...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can spray down the whole engine with water. The alternater will be fine if it gets wet as long as you let it dry for a while. Simply green should work good if your engine isn't really dirty. If you have oil leaks and gunk then use something stronger. Pretty much, spray it down with water, then spray on degresser, let it sit for a few minutes, rinse with water again, and then let it dry good.
I would just be careful not to spray any cleaner in the alternater as some types of cleaners have been known to eat the insulation off of windings. But as far as getting water in there, as long as its not flooded with water when you try to start it, you should be okay.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I sprayed mine down with Simple Green, waited a few minutes, then pressure
washed it. Keep cleaners INSIDE the engine bay, some remove wax and will streak. Rinse completely, engine bay and body.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts