Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

How far can I push my timing belt?

22K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Montysport94 
#1 ·
YES, I know this is a HORRIBLE thing to do and as a car owner, I should be SHOT for doing it, but right now I just can't afford a $350 maintenance bill.

Year: 2003
Model line: GS
Trans: Automatic-Sportronic crap
Miles: 130,350

I bought it with 125,000 miles on it, and the lady that owned it before me apparently changed it at 60,000 miles. So 4th grade Math tells me that the timing belt has about 70,350 miles on it, give or take.

I try my best to maintain my car as well as I can, Just did a high mileage oil change and a new set of spark plugs about 1500 miles ago. But I've fallen on hard times right now, and I can barely put gas in my car as it is. :(

So I guess the main question I'm asking this is to see how far other 4G64 owners have pushed their belts, or even breaking theirs at one point, to get a perspective on how close I am to the danger zone.

I thought about doing it myself, but I'm just starting out as a wannabe mechanic. Plus, I'm only 16 so I have no patience and I'd probably end up setting fire to the damn thing out of sheer frustration. :ninja2:

I am well aware of the dangers I'm facing already, bent valves galore. :rant2:

See less See more
#3 ·
- Who changed it
- Mitsubishi belt vs other belt
- Driving style
Well, it was don't at Northwest Auto Repair (for what it's worth). Probably wont ever go there again. Assholes. :noplease:

Not sure what belt it was

Well, The worst thing I've probably done was a few brake stands, but I've punched it quite a few times.......and I tend to cruise at about 5-15 mph over the speed limit.:eek3:

#11 ·
Until it breaks

Well it depends on a lot of factors:
- Who changed it
- Mitsubishi belt vs other belt
- Driving style

I changed mine at almost 80k.
This. :lol:

#6 ·
:yesway: Start saving now and get it changed and don't forget the tensioner!
if it was done right at 60k then you are still ok at 120k! By 150k you better have had it replaced! my .02
Mine went 125k on original stock belt but i would never suggest someone take that chance.

oh it's a 4g64, your damn bs belt is probably already broke,Get it done!!!

#13 ·
Its 200$ for a 100% timing job with all premium parts if you do it yourself. I did a 4g64 galant 2 days ago, it took me 2 hours working alone including balance shaft belt but I didn't do the water pump because that had been done.

Replacing the head. Whole other story.

#14 ·
Damn, talk about old thread revival.

Anyways, when you replaced the balance shaft, what was the bolt head size for the counterbalance shaft adjustment in the rear? You know the one in the back of the block?

#16 ·
I changed mine myself. I couldnt afford it either. Bought an ebay one LOL i came with pulleys. It was easy. Just make sure you are in TOP DEAD CENTER and make sure the top shaft doesnt move. Make sure all plugs are out (no compression stroke and it wont move).

Its easy and it costed me around 50 bux.

Pushing timing belt is like puhing your luck.

When I took mine out it was shredded already about to snap at 140 thousand miles.

The oil pump belt thing did snap off tho.

I recommend a shop manual, haynes or chilton.

Internet helped aot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.