Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Platinum Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to cut down a little, and reducing the carbohydrate intake in the evening. My workouts are usually done after work, at 7 PM or so. General recommendation is to have a lot of carbs and protein after your workout. What happens if i just take protein (meats, dairy, etc)?

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
If you dont get in the cards then you arent re-fueling your energy stores. Which means your body goes into a catabolic mode which uses muscle for energy. You need cards.....just eat the right kinds at the right times.

·
Registered
384 Posts
you have a 15 minute window to replace carbs after your workout and a 2 hour window for protein. also you want a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein so muscle milk seems to be a pretty good post workout food such as cam suggests frequently.

the reason you need to replace after your workout is because muscle and liver glycogen levels are depleted during moderate to high intensity workouts. if you fail to replace the glycogen after your workout your body will not be able to get back to the level you need in time for your next workout, assuming its the next day. basically your performance will suffer during your next workout or game.

if you want a great resource on nutrition for athletes i would suggest this book that we used in my nutrition class. it also come with software to track what you are eating which is really helpful.

Amazon.com: Practical Applications in Sports Nutrition: Books: Heather Hedrick Fink,Lisa A. Burgoon,Alan E., Ph.D. Mikesky

·
Unemployable
3,617 Posts
Without getting into the specifics of each, try not to get caught up on calories, fat, carbs, ect... are all bad for you. All of these things can come in 'healthy' forms. Bad carbs would include things like a bottle of coke with about 46g of high fructose corn syrup whereas good carbs can come from a peanut butter sandwich (goes good with chocolate protein shake post workout)

·
Unemployable
3,617 Posts
Good question. I was wondering this as well. I usually eat after I workout; mostly because I suck at working out on a full stomach. I've been slacking on taking my protein drink, but I usually eat a lot of protein and carbohydrates after I work out, mostly from meat.
If you don't have one, pick up a shaker at a supplement/vitamin store. What's been working for me is pouring 20 oz of milk (or water... I prefer milk for less clumping and taste) and a few scoops of Muscle Milk. I slam half of it an hour before I work out and the rest immediately after.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
whereas good carbs can come from a peanut butter sandwich (goes good with chocolate protein shake post workout)
Not true....if that sandwhich is using white bread then its not a low glycemic carb. You want to be eating low glycemic carbs only. Wheat bread, sweet potatoes, oats, brown rice, etc....

·
Unemployable
3,617 Posts
Not true....if that sandwhich is using white bread then its not a low glycemic carb. You want to be eating low glycemic carbs only. Wheat bread, sweet potatoes, oats, brown rice, etc....
:doh: Kind of habit for me to assume that anyone eating healthy opts for wholegrain wheat bread. But you're right :yesway:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts