Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many hours should it take a shop to install a NX wet kit on a GT? This would include;

Purge kit
Bottle heater
WOT switch
Bottle opener
MSD digital window switch
You get the idea, I got "the works"

Thanks!

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
I would say at least 7-10 hours of careful installation. You are dealing with nitrous oxide here. You cannot be too careful. Leaks in either the cabin or engine bay can have horrible side effects from fires to poisoning. So you will need to check and double check everything for leaks, binds, etc... and if the lines are away from electrical and heat sources.

The isntall also depends on how much automotive experience you have, as for the connections I suggest that you get some quick splices isntead of trying to solder everything. It will save you some time.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Clipse3GT said:
I would say at least 7-10 hours of careful installation. You are dealing with nitrous oxide here. You cannot be too careful. Leaks in either the cabin or engine bay can have horrible side effects from fires to poisoning. So you will need to check and double check everything for leaks, binds, etc... and if the lines are away from electrical and heat sources.
He's talking about nitrous not propane :fawk:

My first time installing a nitrous kit took me about 6 hours to do, but that was reading the instructions and troubleshooting minor problems and that was without a purge if I remember correctly. But the purge is just an extra selenoid that screws in right next to the main selenoid (I'm no nitrous expert so I don't know the correct names for these parts). I would imagine a performance mechanic should charge you in the neighborhood of maybe $200~$300 to install a single injection nitrous kit, I say 4 hours of labor. If it was direct port of course it would be a lot more.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Tearstone said:
He's talking about nitrous not propane :fawk:

My first time installing a nitrous kit took me about 6 hours to do, but that was reading the instructions and troubleshooting minor problems and that was without a purge if I remember correctly. But the purge is just an extra selenoid that screws in right next to the main selenoid (I'm no nitrous expert so I don't know the correct names for these parts). I would imagine a performance mechanic should charge you in the neighborhood of maybe $200~$300 to install a single injection nitrous kit, I say 4 hours of labor. If it was direct port of course it would be a lot more.
Nitrous is the same thing as laughing gas... so if its start leaking into the cabin it could potentially affect someone in adverse ways. Nitrous is also highly flamable so, keeping it away from major sources of heat and electricity is just a safe pre-caution. :squint:

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Clipse3GT said:
Nitrous is the same thing as laughing gas... so if its start leaking into the cabin it could potentially affect someone in adverse ways. Nitrous is also highly flamable so, keeping it away from major sources of heat and electricity is just a safe pre-caution. :squint:
If you have a nitrous leak, I guarantee you are definitely going to know it. Nitrous is not flamable, it is a replacement for air not fuel. We don't live in the Fast and the Furious movie meng.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
There is 11 pages worth of more nitrous information than you can shake a stick at: http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/nitrous-oxide-tuning-0.html

Page 1:

Nitrous Oxide Tuning

Before we go, I decided to write down a few lines about nitrous oxide so things will be more clear while reading the article.

First of all, Nitrous Oxide is not a fuel (Yes, that's true, we will talk about this later on)
Nitrous is not flamable, thus, the scene which Brian shouts in Fast & the Furious "NOOsSSS!!" and the green Mitsubishi explodes is not impossible.
Using the term "NOS" is completely wrong, because NOS is the name of a company, just like MOMO, SPARCO or APEXI. The right term would be "Nitrous Oxide".

The combustion & engine power basics

We all know that combustion takes place by mixing air and fuel at the combustion chamber. An engine operates by burning fuel, which then pushes the pistons down. Want to make more horsepower? Burn more fuel so it will push the pistons down with more force. This is what we need for generating more power in an engine, but it will be impossible to generate this power without extra oxygen. From our chemistry and physics lessons, we all remember that we need oxygen in order to burn the fuel. Nitrous oxide systems make additional horsepower by allowing an engine to burn more fuel than it could normally do.

Nitrous Oxide

Normally, the air we breathe is:

20.947% oxygen
78.08% nitrogen and
less than 1% other gases.
Nitrous Oxide, in fact, is basically the same, it just has a higher percentage of Oxygen: 36.35%.

Nitrous Oxide is a colorless, odorless & non-flammable gas composed of 2 nitrogen and 1 oxygen atoms. That's where N20 comes from. It has a slightly sweet taste and odor. It is non-toxic and non-irritating and when inhaled in small quantities can produce mild hysteria and giggling or laughter.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Tearstone said:
If you have a nitrous leak, I guarantee you are definitely going to know it. Nitrous is not flamable, it is a replacement for air not fuel. We don't live in the Fast and the Furious movie meng.
Blue flames dammit!!!!! :lmfao:

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Ah... I see your point Tearstone... however I still think that taking basic precautions is still needed, when isntalling any sort of FI.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Tearstone said:
If he was isntalling a wet kit, you just tap your fuel line going into your rail for the fuel side, or some fuel line. Again, I'm no nitrous expert just saying.
Missed that at the top... :yesway:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The reason I ask is because a performance shop is doing my install and they are about 15 hours into the install, and it's still not done. I'm getting worried. This is getting expensive. What do you guys think? Don't forget the bottle opener and bottle heater would take extra time.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
InSpite said:
The reason I ask is because a performance shop is doing my install and they are about 15 hours into the install, and it's still not done. I'm getting worried. This is getting expensive. What do you guys think? Don't forget the bottle opener and bottle heater would take extra time.
That's how long we quote for installing the enhanced turbo kits. I think you might be getting taken for a ride.

·
The 11sec club
247 Posts
Tearstone said:
If he was isntalling a wet kit, you just tap your fuel line going into your rail for the fuel side, or some fuel line. Again, I'm no nitrous expert just saying.
This is a no no, you want to put the fuel supply for the nitrious on the return line from the rails, never the supply, but before the FPR. The reason for this is so you don't have the chance to cheat any cyclinders of fuel, which would never be good under a power adder such as nitrous.
Same goes for any addional injectors of some sort of fuel supply, added to the system.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
rtspeed said:
This is a no no, you want to put the fuel supply for the nitrious on the return line from the rails, never the supply, but before the FPR. The reason for this is so you don't have the chance to cheat any cyclinders of fuel, which would never be good under a power adder such as nitrous.
Same goes for any addional injectors of some sort of fuel supply, added to the system.
Your right, I was debating that in my head when I was writing that actually. The install I did was on a SE-R so, I could not picture in my head which direction their fuel rail went so I can't remember where I put it, although I do know I did it per the instructions whatever it was at the time.

But my actual intent of that post was to really say the fuel source for the nitrous comes from one of the fuel lines in the engine bay versus the nitrous side which is typically run from somewhere in the cabin into the engine bay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts