Take a look at it for your self.

Thought so. So lets get started.
Here's what you need to buy:
1. Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Spray.

2. Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover.

Here are some supplies you will need:
1. A car jack
2. 2 Jack stands
3. Plastic ice scraper(or something to scrape the paint off thats not metal!)
4. Gloves
5. Needle nose pliers or flat head screw driver to remove the center cap
6. Bucket full of water
7. 3 or 4 towels
Okay lets start.

Step 1. Jack up the car.
Jack up the car and place jack stands to both sides.

Step 2. Remove both wheels.
Remove both wheels and place near each other.

Step 3. Remove the center caps
Simply take the metal peace from the back of the rim and the center cap should fall out.

Step 4. Spray the paint stripper.
Spray the complete front face of the rim with gloves on. Keeping in mind the center cap is taken out!

Do both rims at the same time to save your self some time.

Leave the paint stripper on for about 7-15 minutes, and it should like this.

You may have to repeat this step again in case of any left unstripped paint.
Repeat this on the 2nd rim.

Step 5. Scrape off the stripped paint.
Using your ice scraper. Scrape the paint off. Be sure to be wearing gloves, a long sleeve shirt and jeans because it will burn your skin!! Repeat this on the 2nd rim.

Step 6. Cleaning off unwanted paint.
Using your bucket of water completely soak the rim. Use one of the towels and dry the rim. Be sure to get every peace of paint off the rim, because it will stick back. Repeat this on the 2nd rim.

Step 7. Towel dry.
Towel dry the complete rim getting every piece of paint. Make sure to clean the lip also making sure there are no pieces of paint are there. Repeat this on the 2nd rim.

Step 8. Shine.
After completely cleaning the rim, get your tire shine and spray the complete rim including the tire. Repeat this on the 2nd rim.

Step 9. Stare at your accomplishment.

Step 10. Finishing up.
After shining the rim and tire place the center cap back in. then place the wheel back on your car and lower the car.

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
wow... ok...

those are not stock rims for 99% of the members here, but that is beside the point. there are issues with what you have done:

you now have bare metal wheels.. you will be lucky if they keep that shine for more than week. and will be ruined in a couple months. you need to AT MINIMUM clear them.

next, why would you think that paint stripper is a good thing to use in your driveway?!? that is a harmful chemical tha needs to be taken care of, not just rinsed into the ground water of your community. you would do less damage to your groundwater, by just dumping antifreeze in your back yard.

an now: you don't like your tires do you? NEVER use cheicals, or paint whith tires sitll on, you shorten their life spam, and now your tires will prematurely dryrot.

and you didn't finish the job: nice flat silver centercaps.

so you have ruined your wheels, if you don't seal them ASAP, improperly disposed of caustic chemicals (you didn't read the warnings on the can at all did you?), and shortened the life of your tires; for what? a couple weeks of bling?

the idea was good i don't even like chrome wheels and i have to admit it looks good, aside form the mismatched center caps), but if you don't take the tires off and seal them NOW they will look like the BACK of your wheels do very soon. (you must take the wheels off, or your clearcoat will start to chip off at the rim, and you have to keep doing it.)

to do what you did right:
take the tires off
then (in a place you correctly dispose of the stripper) do what you did.
then clean, clean, clean, and paint with clear coat.
put the tires back on,

and then you would have done it right.

i am not flaming, i explaining that to you (and anyone else that thinks what did is a good idea) that you only half of what you needed to do, to keep the wheels looking like that.

·
Arabs drive fast too
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow... ok...

those are not stock rims for 99% of the members here, but that is beside the point. there are issues with what you have done:

you now have bare metal wheels.. you will be lucky if they keep that shine for more than week. and will be ruined in a couple months. you need to AT MINIMUM clear them.

next, why would you think that paint stripper is a good thing to use in your driveway?!? that is a harmful chemical tha needs to be taken care of, not just rinsed into the ground water of your community. you would do less damage to your groundwater, by just dumping antifreeze in your back yard.

an now: you don't like your tires do you? NEVER use cheicals, or paint whith tires sitll on, you shorten their life spam, and now your tires will prematurely dryrot.

so you have ruined your wheels, if you don't seal them ASAP, improperly disposed of caustic chemicals (you didn't read the warnings on the can at all did you?), and shortened the life of your tires; for what? a couple weeks of bling?

the idea was good i don't even like chrome wheels and i have to admit it looks good, aside form the mismatched center caps), but if you don't take the tires off and seal them NOW they will look like the BACK of your wheels do very soon. (you must take the wheels off, or your clearcoat will start to chip off at the rim, and you have to keep doing it.)

take the tires off
put the tires back on,

i am not flaming, i explaining that to you (and anyone else that thinks what did is a good idea) that you only half of what you needed to do, to keep the wheels looking like that.
I understand where your coming from. When Mitsubishi made these rims they dipped the entire rim in chrome then painted over it. So the thought of this was remove the paint that was placed. And sadly I didn't read the Warning, except for the it will burn part. Thanks for the advice.

·
Arabs drive fast too
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also thankfully my neighbor hood uses septic tanks we don't use ground water nor city piping.

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
i don't think you understand how ground water works. everything that washes into your yard works it's way into your grass, trees, animals, and eventually runs back to the main source miles away: what you drink.
what you did was illegal. will you get caught? probably not, but it is still illegal. not disposing of "bad" chemicals properly is against the law because it all comes back to you eventually.

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
now you know... it is too late now, just don't do it again. (and seriously get some clear on those things, ASAP. you know you took at least a little chrome off.. and they will yellow.)

·
Arabs drive fast too
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now you know... it is too late now, just don't do it again. (and seriously get some clear on those things, ASAP. you know you took at least a little chrome off.. and they will yellow.)
any recommendations on what kind I should get?

·
Waiting to spool
3,237 Posts
Duplicolor's always a good choice. I've had good luck with krylon as well.

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
BEST is professional. you will not have to worry at all about it... but that is expensive compared to duplicolor. they make a special type for wheels (it says). not going to get show quality with any rattle can, but the best (in the line of cheap DIY) looks to be duplicolor. i did my old grand prix wheels with it, and it lasted for a couple years before it flaked and died. (they were stock body color, and the factory paint was peeling, so i sandblasted, and repainted them.) perhaps someone has other experience?

·
Low and Slow.
1,860 Posts
:facepalm: To clear everything up.

I discovered this modification in late 2008. This WILL NOT work on 3g wheels. If it did, I would have shared it with this site.
How to make your 2.5g Chrome wheels ALL chrome. - 2GStratus
Before

After

My video showing how it done and how it works: It was only wiped with a rag for demo purposes.

Wrong.Even if they were stripped bare, its still an Alloy wheel, and wouldnt even shine unless you polished them and buffed them with compound. The 01/02 R/T wheels are polished and they arent clearcoated.
[[/B]
Quite an exaggeration. When done right and rinsed with water, the acidity/harmfulness gets reduced to nothing. Theres hardly any product used.
The process doesnt take long at all, a few minutes really. Its supposed to be rinsed off.

My wheels still look great

Its chrome. The only thing that was done was strip paint on top of chrome.
take the tires off
put the tires back on,

Fun theory, but youre not correct.

·
Arabs drive fast too
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dude peal already has a How To on 2gstratus on how to do this. If your gonna copy his method and pass it off as your own with no credit given to him.....that's pretty much a big slap in the face.

Good rule of thumb always give credit where credit is due. And in this case credit should be given to Dan(Peral).

David

·
Low and Slow.
1,860 Posts
Dude peal already has a How To on 2gstratus on how to do this. If your gonna copy his method and pass it off as your own with no credit given to him.....that's pretty much a big slap in the face.

Good rule of thumb always give credit where credit is due. And in this case credit should be given to Dan(Pearl).

David
Way to steal Dan's discovery and act as if it's yours.
:yesway: I have made a few how-to's on 2gstratus.org with the help of threads on this site, but gave credit to the original creators at the beginning of each how-to.

·
passport applied for
2,437 Posts
QUICK QUESTION! if you remove paint from a powder coated rim will the powder coat remain?
anyone?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts