Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOW TO: Install a Turbo Timer

6K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  NAPALM 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first how to so, im sure ill be making revisions, and if anyone has anything to add please feel free to post it up.

TO start off here is a list of tools you will need;

Philips screwdriver
Wire strippers
Solder and Soldering iron(only if you wanna get fancy.)
Plastic zip ties
Turbo Timer[I used the black Greddy Full Auto Timer becuase it matches my interior and it looks sweeet :twothumb: ]
Timer wire harness(makes things 10x easier)

1) Decide where you want to mount your timer and make sure your wires will reach. I put mine right under my stereo the wires reach fine and its accesible.

2) Remove the covers on the underside of the dash(not the shell around the steering column). There is 4 philips head screws holding it on. THen just pop it off from the clips.

3) NOW, Remove the steering column shell. 2 philips screws right under the steering column near the middle. THere is also one philips head screw just above the key hole pointing up towards the ceiling(It holds the two halves of the covers together). DONT FORGET THIS ONE. I didnt see it and I just kept tugging on the top cover and ended up braking the cover. Luckily its only $21 from the dealer. :ghey: There is small clips along the edges holding the pieces together that just pop off too.

4) Locate your ignition wiring harness. Its running along the left side of the steering column. There is one small clear plastic connector in front of it. The ignition harness connector has a clip release button on the back side of the connector that you have to depress for it to come free from the other end of the connector.

5) Once you get that disconnected, connect your Timer Harness in line with the stock harness as shown in the INstruction manual of your harness. If you dont have your instruction manual, dont sweat it, its pretty much common sense, and the connectors only go in one way. [If you need to see the diagram let me know and ill copy it from my instruction manual.]

Here is a pic. Its kinda blurry becuase I cant take pictures worth shit. :ghey: But once you crawl up under there it should make more sense.

6) Run the 4 pin connector that is spliced off of the main Timer Harness to your Turbo Timer and connect it.

You can see where I ran mine here;

Part II.

E Brake Feature.

You will want to hook up your E Brake feature so that your engine turns off if the E Brake is released after the ignition is turned off and the count down has begun[for theft protection purposes].

For the greddy turbo timer the BROWN wire of the smaller 2 pin connector[comes with your timer from Greddy] goes to the E Brake sensor wire.

1) Remove your center console cup holder and storage compartment. Just pull up on it, it just pops right out.

2) Remove 4 philips head screws inside the center console.

3) If you have the extra 12v accessory outlet in your center console, unhook the 2 wires that are connected to it, by squeezing their release buttons and pulling back. Remove the plastic wire holder by pinching the plastic clip on the bottom side of its perch and pushing up.

4) (if you have POWER MIRRORS) Pull up on your center console easily until you can reach up under it to the side mirror controls and disconnect the harness that goes to the controller. Press the release button while pulling on the connector to release it from its socket.

NOTE: At THis point the process will be slightly different for manuals and autos, for the boots that are installed around the shifter. For an auto/sporty you just remove the rubber edgeing around the grey part of the shifter. It just pulls right up. I have a sporty so, manual guys are on your own with this part. :p

5) Pull the center console up while pulling back slightly to pop it out of the front clips that hold it to the front console.

6) Run your wire from where ever you are mounting your Timer down through the console and to your E Brake area. Watch out to make sure its not going to be in the way of the shifter or ebrake operations. Cuz that would be :ghey: .

7) There is a single wire going to the Ebrake switch that has 12V[approx] applied to it when the engine is running(ONLY, NOTE: the 12v is NOT there when the engine is off). If the ebrake is engaged the 12v is dropped to 0V. YOu can verify this with a meter if you wish.

8) Here you can either strip some of the insulation back from the wire and solder your brown wire to it and then tape or shrink tube it up, or just do what I did. Disconnect the connector from the prong on the front side of the switch. Strip about 1/2 inch from you brown wire and stick it through the hole on the E Brake prong then jam the connector back on to the prong causing it to pinch the brown wire. :twothumb: [NOTE: Just be careful and hold the opposite side of the switch with your other hand while you jam the connector back on so you dont BEND or tweak the switch or prong) This worked great for me and it was much easier, AND you dont have to modify your stock wires[which I always try to NOT do whenever possible]. Then just tie your wire down with some zip ties and you should look like this;

9) Connect the 4 pin LARGE connector to the Turbo Timer and then connect the 2 pin E Brake connector, and finishing mounting your timer however you wanted it and you are ready to rock and roll.

NOTE: I didnt hook up the Speed Sensor to my timer. But if you wanted to its the purple wire of the 2 pin harness right next to the E Brake line [BROWN].

DNS-EN said:
The 12v constant is the 10 gauge white wire with the red stripe. connect this to the the 12v on the turbo timer green. "on" is the green wire on the car also. splice this to the "on" wire to the turbo timer, which is green. "acc" is the blue w/ black stripe wire on the car. connect this to the "acc" wire blue also on the timer.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.