Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to find out how to install an aftermarket HU in these threads and did not find a clear example, so I am going to show you step by step how it is done. First, I have a 2002 Eclipse GS.

The original setup is CD player in dash with no display. The display for the CD player was in the Heads up display in the center of the dash. There is also a stock amp under the passenger seat.

By the way, when you install an after market HU, the Headsup display will display the time with no code needed.

When you first pull the CD player out, you will find the following:
1. The main (big) clip from the car to CD player. This powers the amp.
2. A smaller clip into the CD player. This wire is only to communicate with the heads up display (it will not be used for aftermarket HU)
3. TWO (2) antenna plugs. The factory HU uses two to continually search for the best signal. I only used the bigger one and left the other hanging.
4. A big black cable that goes to the amp. Without this plugged in, the speakers will not work. This is proprietary and will not plug into most aftermarket HUs.

There are 2 different ways to go about installing a new HU.

The easiest is to go to the following link and get the adaptor kits and install as you would any other HU:
Mitsubishi Receiver Wire Harness For select 1994-05 Mitsubishi and 1994 Dodge Stealth models at Crutchfield.com

If you would rather not use the factory amp, follow the next steps.
(I recommend not using the amp. I found that the sound quality is much, much better. I have more bass and much more power. The factory amp is junk and actually henders the speakers. My CD player actually pushes more power than the amp did.)

1. After you go to any audio store and get the correct harness for your car, plug it into the car and wire to the CD player. This harness will only be for power, NOT sound.
2. Take the passenger seat out. Easy to do, just for bolts.
3. Unplug the amp.
4. Grab any old cd player from the house that has positiv negative outs and bring it to the car. You need to take the harness that came out of the amp and stick the wires into the harness in two places, positive and negative. This will show you what wires go to what speaker in the car. WRITE THIS DOWN (left front, back right, etc).
5. Cut and strip the wires.
6. Take any type of audio wire and connect to the wires under the seat, run them under the carpet and up to the cd player. Connect with the appropriate wires in the back of the CD player(left front, back right, etc) and you are done.

Under the seat, you will have some cables not used, including the Big Blck one that originally went to the factory HU. I also had a small box that was not used.

I know it sounds complicated, but I am by no means a professional and me and a buddy did it in a couple hours. Quite easy.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
I tried to find out how to install an aftermarket HU in these threads and did not find a clear example, so I am going to show you step by step how it is done.
Did you look in the Garage section? My guess is no.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/audio/5...dio-without-loosing-your-factory-pre-amp.html

(I recommend not using the amp. I found that the sound quality is much, much better. I have more bass and much more power. The factory amp is junk and actually henders the speakers. My CD player actually pushes more power than the amp did.)
The OEM speakers all have 2 ohm impedances, which the OEM amp was designed to run. If you hook them up directly to an aftermarket HU, the amp in the HU will eventually get fried, as it was neither designed nor intenteded to be used with 2 ohm speakers (only 4 ohm, which is pretty standard). Also, the crossovers for the OEM speakers are built into the amp, so you risk blowing the tweeters by putting a full range signal to them. They can also be blown by over powering. The OEM Infinity amp puts out about 10 watts RMS per channel, so the speakers are designed with about that much power handling. Now you connect them to an aftermarket HU with 17-22 watts RMS output, and then they only supply a 2 ohm load (which most of the time doubles the output, hence fried amp), and you have a recipe for fried voice coils.

If you are going to bypass the OEM amp, and plan to keep your HU for a while, get a set of 4 ohm component speakers and 6x9's to replace the factory speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.