Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
$$XL Music$$
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I know there have been several topics addressing the installation process of a shift light, but none that accurately addresses many of the questions I've been seeing around, especially scattered all among different posts. So here' s a quick "How to" on installing a stand alone shift light.

Steps:

• First, look over your shift light and make yourself familiar with its shape, the accessories (screws, if any) included with it, as well as the wiring (what wire is for what).
  • The wiring components are as follows: Red wire goes to a switched ignition source (+), Black goes to ground (-), and Green goes to the tachometer signal wire. NOTE: Make sure to use a solid, and good ground source. If the ground source is too weak the shift light won't operate the way it should and the lighting will be dim.
  • Next step involves safety. Some people disconnect the negative battery cable before proceeding installation. Personally I didn't have to do that, nor had any complications for not doing so.
  • Search for a solid place to mount your shift light. Depending on location, it may be hard to setup. I placed my shift light to the right of the steering wheel on the dash, next to the clock pod. You can either use a screwdriver and forcibly make the mounting holes with a screwdriver, or do what I did and use a drill.
  • Make sure to drill and extra hole, large enough to hide the shift light wiring into the dash.
  • Now we begin to connect all necessary wiring. There is no exact order for the wiring, and make sure you have enough space to route wires within the dash. Removing the cluster gauge cover and cluster instrument panel made installation a lot easier.
  • Connect the black ground cable to your ground source. I found a perfect ground under the steering wheel. If you roll your head under there you'll see several ground connections under a large screw across from where your clutch is, (if u have a clutch, in the auto's its around the same area near to the left of the OBDII connector).
  • Now for the tachometer wire you have 2 common choices, both relatively easy. First is to route the shift light wire to connect it to the ECU. Second option, which is way easier, is to just tap into the cluster instrument RPM signal wire. This wire is the farthest left, thick WHITE wire from the middle (second from left-right) plug set of wires.
  • As for the ignition wire you can tap it just about anywhere that has a 12volt+ connection. Recommended to tap into a wire that is switched on an off when the ignition is turned, hence "IGNITION source". I just routed that wire to the fuse box next to the drivers side door and hooked it up with the ignition or radio fuse.
  • Tuck away any wires and verify that your connections are stable, safe and correct.
  • Finally, turn on your 3G, set the desired shift point behind the shift light and test it out. Your shift light (for the standard LED adjustable) should flash several times when approaching the desired shift point, and then turn to a solid light when it's time to shift.

• Extra NOTE: Some Shift lights require you to cut off wires in the back to adjust it to work with 4cy, 6cy or 8cy engines.
  • Normally the colored wires are brown and orange.
  • For 8cy engines, the orange and brown wires stay put.
  • For 6cy engines, cut the brown loop. Just tone slit to separate it from any other wires is enough. Just make sure to tape up the end with electrical tape.
  • For 4cy engines, cut both the orange and brown wires.
  • These wires can be cut before or after installation. But it's easier to cut beforehand. :)

Here's a pic so you can see where I mounted my shift light.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.