Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most of you probably saw my thread in show and shine
http://www.club3g.com/forum/show-shine/126164-custom-headlights-nite-shades.html
and read a lot of criticism... I'm going to post how I did it and everyone (esp. HIJACKER lol) should feel free to add their $.02...

I started out with 2 of these, 1 for each head light

that I bought from Super Bright LEDs - Flexible LED Light Bars & Strips

They are cuttable into 3-l.e.d. segments and I cut each one into 3-6 l.e.d. segments and 1- 3 l.e.d. segment. Then I wired them together...

This is where it looks extremely half-assed. There are probably much better ways to do this...

The green arrows point to where they are cuttable, the red arrows point to where you can wire them. The red arrow on the left show two little holes which are clearly marke + -, but they are very close together and you have to make sure the wires dont touch. The red arrow on the right points to a white bow meant for superbrightleds connectors, but i gut the boxes down revealing the 2 wires and use those to connect the pieces...

Now is connecting them to the inside of the headlight, I used JB weld but you can use whatever high-temp adhesive you like.

(if you plan on color-matching you should do that first)

For the little row of l.e.d.s up the outside edge, I dremelrs a slit and then glued the corner in...

I set the l.e.d.s back from the edge a bit to lay strips of shade wand in front of them for better light focus and distribution, I wanted a strip of l.e.d.s with the looks of a cross between actual l.e.d.s and a strip of light.

I cut it to match the length of each strip of l.e.d.s and then cut "ditches" into it with my dremel for each l.e.d. to semi sit in it.

For the blue demon eye:

I screwed up and have the l.e.d. facing the projector so its not visible from all angles because of the way the projector bends the light,

You should probably face it towards the cut-off for better light dissipation.

As for the dual-colored halo (they're bright white for the blinker and blue on a switch,) here is a diagram: (laugh away)

here is an actual pic of the halo and wires

I cut notches in the back for better light distribution

I also had to make the hole in the headlight for the halo wires bigger

Good Luck. And suggestion ARE WELCOME!

·
Shut up.
3,700 Posts
I would have drilled a hole in the botton of the black housing part, the part you taped the lights too. Then inserted the LEDS thru that way. Would look much better to just see LEDS.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have drilled a hole in the botton of the black housing part, the part you taped the lights too. Then inserted the LEDS thru that way. Would look much better to just see LEDS.
True, but that black housing part curves down and under from the front so its hard to work under it. You probably dont want to cut off the curved down part because its holding the housing part up... You can probably drill from the top and insert l.e.d.s with long wires through.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.