Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Some broke kid..
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, this started out as just a project i did for my own benefit, and after high demand, i am creating this how to.
Sorry for any missing pictures, i didn't plan on making a how-to.

This is to fix any badly or minimally cracked bumper or repair other plastics. In my case, buying a new one would probably have been easier, but i didn't feel like waiting.

Things you need;
-Wood burning kit (soldering iron would also work) with a couple different tips.
-Sand paper
-Zip Ties if neccessary
-PATIENCE

So first i removed my bumper (yes, you should do the same).
As you can see from these pictures, it is pretty badly cracked and is missing chunks.

First off, let the wood burner heat up as hot as it gets, not just enough to melt the plastic.
So I started out with this tip

The actual bonding takes some technique.
First off, start from the back of the bumper. Hold each edge of the crack lined up together. every few inches, tack together each side of the plastic. In order to do it correctly, stab the tip directly into the crack, along the crack. have the wood burner almost parallel to the crack, so that some of the plastic is push on top of the tip. Then pull the tip out and push the plastic that was on top back down into the crack. This heats both the bottom and the top causing an actual bond, if you just drag the heated plastic over, it doesn't bond and you can pick it off.

After you tack it into place, you can then do this along the whole crack, you will get the hang of it.

Once you are done this, you can move to the front.
First you must sand off the paint along the crack as you don't want paint in your plastic, it won't bond well

Then using the same technique as before, bond the whole crack.

If you have any holes, you can melt zip ties together and use it as a filler. I just used a lower tab that had broken off the bumper.

Once you are done this, you can take a flat tip and smooth out your plastic, trying to fill in any small holes.
After that, you can then sand down the extra plastic until it is smooth with your bumper and you cannot feel where the crack was. (i didn't do that well on this step but its fine for me).

Then your done. This should be about as strong as brand new if done right, you should not have to worry about it coming apart. now just go get it painted by a shop or however you do it.

Heres how mine came out.

Using this technique you can repair almost anything plastic.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Beautiful write up and job.

looks like i found something to do this week while i wait for my UE check and job info from florida. my front looks alot worse than yours.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is a process called Plastic Welding, they actually sell plastic welders essentially just a wood burning iron lol but with a bit better design. And when done properly the bond shoud be identical to a piece that was vaccuum pressed (origional production) good job on the write up.

·
Premium Member
31,369 Posts
Now I used a 2 part epoxy made for bumpers, you could use that as well. Instead of using the zipties, I'm sure the autobody store would have some to use....but if your in a bind that is neat how you thought of that. Have to let us know how it holds up.

·
JVP
703 Posts
Now I used a 2 part epoxy made for bumpers, you could use that as well. Instead of using the zipties, I'm sure the autobody store would have some to use....but if your in a bind that is neat how you thought of that. Have to let us know how it holds up.
I was gonna say this.

When I usually repair or end up customizing plastic bumpers I will take the bumper off and go behind the crack with 3M panel bond and plastic reinforcement tape. Sand the front and rear of the crack first down to plastic, clean it up, lay down your plastic reinforcement tape, apply panel bond to rear and let dry. Then goto the front and do the same. Sand smooth and apply various evercoat product putty. There are lots out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts