Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but when typing in header and torque, all I come up with are results for power.

In short, my car is in need of a smog check (California) and I need to swap my DC race headers out back to my stock for the check. I know the torque specs to each part already, but looking at the clearance, how does everyone go about in properly torquing each bolt down (including the O2 and heat sensor)? Or is this one of those things where we kind of just guess?

Also, considering the swap I'm doing, is it prudent to change the gaskets?

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bitter...thanks for the response...but I got the torque specs. =)

How do you go about it torquing it to that spec? It seems like the clearance makes it difficult for a torque wrench to fit.

Brian

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I also want to clarify that the clearance issue isn't for all of the bolts. For instance, for all of the top bolts, it won't be an issue at all. There are a couple of bolts on the bottom part of the manifold, such as one on the far left or one where the header tube itself is in the way. Sorry I didn't specify this in my original post.

I'm using 1/2....but even with a smaller torque wrench...you think it'll fit?

Seems like the clearance almost won't allow for any size to fit...but I could be entirely wrong...

Thanks for the input.

·
R.I.P. silverside
4,217 Posts
I'm using 1/2....but even with a smaller torque wrench...you think it'll fit?

Seems like the clearance almost won't allow for any size to fit...but I could be entirely wrong...

Thanks for the input.
well if the 3/8 wont fit, torque wrench or not how are you planing on tightening them? Just use whatever will fit and us common sense when tightening

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just going to use an open wrench to tighten if I wasn't able to use the torque wrench on those two bolts.

Since it is only a couple of bolts on the bottom of the manifold that I need to worry about...I guess it won't be too much of an issue.

I just wanted to be sure it wasn't one of those things where if a couple of bolts 1-2 ft/lbs off that it would cause any sort of leak...etc.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts