Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happened. The rings dug into the sides of my cylinder walls and I finally blew them. I'm tired of messing with everything on my car. Think it's time to sell the 20+ psi supercharge system. Looks like I'll be swapping out a 3.5 into it instead. Hope I'm happy with it. What a sad day. Pain in the ass is the sound of my parents saying "leave it stock or you'll be sorry" ringing through my head. :(

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
He means they butted and scoured the walls and probably destroyed pistons too.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, the rings were put on and when I put the first piston it, the rings bound up a little bit. I did this and after get all of them in, found out that the rings were not pregapped for the pistons/cylinders like the sales rep told me they would be. They scorred up all the cylinder walls. Lasted me 4k miles.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
yep, the rings were put on and when I put the first piston it, the rings bound up a little bit. I did this and after get all of them in, found out that the rings were not pregapped for the pistons/cylinders like the sales rep told me they would be. They scorred up all the cylinder walls. Lasted me 4k miles.
OMG...

Dude, rings are NEVER pregapped. Always gap your rings according to your specific bore! It literally takes less than a minute to test a ring end gap...

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, I know. THat's why I didn't point the finger in any direction. First engine build also. If you need any parts, I'll be posting up a for sale thread here in the next few days.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts
Yep, I know. THat's why I didn't point the finger in any direction. First engine build also. If you need any parts, I'll be posting up a for sale thread here in the next few days.
Man, that sucks.

If the sale of the SDS is going to help finance the replacement 3.5 engine, then you got to do what you need to do. However, if not, you can make the SDS a stage 1, and put it on the 3.5 engine. You'd really have something there. Ditch the other tuning electronics and use the flash to tune. Just a thought.

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
Now they should have checked the gap regardless, but if the sales person told you they were gapped correctly then he should pay for the new block. If it didn't score the fuck out of the walls, you might be able to get away with an overbore. Chances are the scrapes are too deep though. Not sure how to go about this, but you MAY be able to put it on them.

·
Registered
738 Posts
:werd:

Sorry to hear about that, but think of it this way: there's no replacement for displacement :twothumb:
That's just something fat...uh...N/A people say to make themselves feel better.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Take the same FI setup and put it on a car with greater displacement and you have a car that is considerably faster.

There truly is NO replacement for displacement specially if that car is already boosted.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Take the same FI setup and put it on a car with greater displacement and you have a car that is considerably faster.

There truly is NO replacement for displacement specially if that car is already boosted.
Hey, guy, yes there is. FI on greater displacement will produce more power but we're talking about a smaller motor w/ FI vs. a larger motor w/o FI. Once you go FI you can no longer just take displacement into account.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey guys, help me out here. I just took off the plenum and checked all the compressions. They range from 170 - 185. The engine obviously isn't messed up. At idle, it won't stay running, yet when I hold the gas down a little bit, it will run at a stable rate. Any ideas? I'm happy the engine is good though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts