Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transparent paint..... no It will be painted stock. I think carbon fiber hoods left unpainted look's ricey. Ive seen on a number of race cars though that have full carbon fiber shells that you can can just subtle see the weave bumps through the paint. I need to remove the clear coat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The way color carbon fiber is done is when color is added to the clear coat and then put on. If you remove your clear coat and paint it it will be a solid color no fiber will show

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
:uh:

You won't be able to see the "weave bumps" on any carbon fiber part, even on a race car. That's just not how carbon fiber is molded.

For the weave to "show through", you will need to use candies to get that effect. You will get something like this:

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
When carbon fiber cmes out of the mould its smooth...not bumpy. You will never have texture to it.

Besides....if there was a way to have it textures its gonna look dumb as shit.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Then how the hell do so many full race vipers and corvett's have body parts this way. Ahh fuck it, Im just gonna get it painted to match the car.
Post some pictures of what you're referring to...it would help to see the parts...what we picture in our heads may not be the same thing you've seen. Also, have you asked any of the guys who are running the parts how they got them that way?

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
no...well, yeah, I guess it kind of does, but the resin is what "holds the carbon fiber in shape", so to speak. The way that carbon fiber parts are made, you just couldn't have a texture to it--at least not one that is from the weave of the fabric. Sanding off the clearcoat won't bring up a texture unless you sand down to the fabric itself, which would just destroy the carbon fiber.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
I think you are talking about colored carbon fiber. Where the actual carbon fiber itself is a specific color. Like these ones Color Carbon fiber Hoods
:uh: Did you even pay attention to what he's asking for? Not color.. TEXTURE.

Anyhow, Mark is right and thats not how the process works. You "could" have texture if you apply less resin and don't completely glaze over the CF, but you risk exposure of the fabric and damage. Here's an example of text piece I was overlaying with CF. On the first pass of resin - it hardened and you could feel the material in a rock hard state. This would achieve what you want, but wouldn't be suitable as a final product as I would put this at about 20% complete at thi point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts