Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying my dad some type of basic surround sound system for his basement. I'm looking to buying just some type of simple system, reliable, and decent sound quality for around $200 or so. I found this sony system at Walmart the other day and was very pleased with the sound. It does not need to be spectacular, but just the simple package. Any advice on this system for what I'm looking into?
Sony HTDDW795 850W 5.1 Home Theater System - Wal-Mart

I noticed that some of these systems seem to say something along the lines of
"works with dvd player, ipod, mp3 player, gaming systems, etc" but it never mentions using it with just the tv and cable. Are some systems not compatible with just the cable and the tv??

Also, how difficult are these type of systems to set up for a novice? Will i need other types of wiring and mounting brackets? I want the cables to be behind the walls and the speakers mounted in the corners of the basement. (roughly a 50x50feet space). Would it be best to leave this to an electrician or more experienced person? The basement is finished off, so i think running it behind the walls will require drilling and running through drywall and other materials.

Thanks for any help

·
54,460 Posts
dont mess with behind the wall in a finished room, get the little tubes that run along the wall and run the wires to the ceiling, then along the ceiling, to the speakers. paint the track the same color as the wall and no one will notice.

·
Boobs
989 Posts
dont mess with behind the wall in a finished room, get the little tubes that run along the wall and run the wires to the ceiling, then along the ceiling, to the speakers. paint the track the same color as the wall and no one will notice.
I disagree, it looks 10 times cleaner running behind the wall, and isnt that difficult to do it without making a mess.

It will work fine with just the TV as long as the tv has component connections or HDMI connections (this assumes the HTIB and tv are HDMI compatible)

·
I do not approve.
11,569 Posts
This system is an audio only system. As such, you will connect the xbox/dvd/whatever to it via audio cables. In this case, it has one optical and one coax. So it's not going to be very friendly if you have a bunch of stuff to hook to it.

As far as running wires/cables, it really depends on your situation. Some houses are easy to run wire through and others not. Bracketing shouldn't be complicated unless you don't know how to use a drill. ;)

Placement is straight forward:
The center will sit directly above or below the tv. The left and right mains to the sides. You want to create an equilateral triangle from left to right main to your seating position. If you're sitting 20 ft. away from your speaker, you'll want 20 ft. between them, too.

The surrounds should be about 12" above seated ear level and directly to the sides. Not on the rear wall. There are exceptions to this rule, but this is ideal.

Hiring an electrician would invalidate the inexpensive price of the system, as he'd probably charge you $200 to run the wires through the walls. Just do your best. In a pinch you can just buy white speaker wire and tuck it between the carpet and baseboards.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,313 Posts
Hmmm ... Surrounds 12" above seated ear level? I have mine at ear level :happysad:

Jeremy's response:
That's fine, they're probably just a bit more apparent than they'd otherwise be. Surrounds are all about indirect sound, which is why bipoles excel as movie surround speakers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts