Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
USN
1,031 Posts
You keep saying 4.2L, but it's a 2.4L. To get to 200hp, the only real way with forced induction. I don't know if anyone ever did break the 200 barrier even with header, exhaust, intake, and a tune. There aren't any direct swaps that I am aware of for the 2.4 like the 3.0. The 3.0 doesn't even drop in, but if you do decide to redo it, There is the 3.5 and 3.8 that would work much better. People have swapped those for the 3.0 a number of times and there is quite a bit of good information available for that. Of course, I'm not sure what would even need to be changed to make it work. It might be relatively simple with your case since there is a lot of custom work.

·
USN
1,031 Posts
There have been people who have turbo'd the auto, but you need to slave a manual ECU to it as the auto ECU can't be flashed, or programed. That is the only downside I know of.

If you consider swapping out for a V6, I would just go ahead and go with something with a bit more power as the work will end up being similar between swapping for the 6G72/74/75 as you are going to have to redo everything.

I can't really say which would be the easiest or cheapest, as they each have their own challenge.

·
USN
1,031 Posts
I can't really comment if you should stick to an auto or go manual. You could reach out to other forums for the platforms for the engine you might want to swap out and start talking with them and see if you can find someone who can give you the insight you need. What I know is from what people have said over the years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts