Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Funky Old Greenhorn
2003 Eclipse 2.4L engine witha Automatic. Put into a custom fraim 3 wheel vehicle.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I built a Three Wheel Trike using this 03 Eclipse.
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Hood

It had the 4.2L engine. I used the entire front drive train including the axles wheels brakes and front cross member. It is an Automatic. I have always loved Mitsubishi's and got this particular car very CHEAP!!! I started building it in 07 and have been driving it finished now since 2015.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

BUT NOW... I really want more power. I chose the automatic at the time because it was CHEAP and available to me. It drives easy and I thought it would be easier to build. Keep In Mind I am licensed as a "Custom Motorcycle" and have no Smog Restrictions. I currently have no Smog Pump, Catalytic Converter Etc.on the engine... Just headers with open pipes. So having to have a smog inspection is not an issue with my vehicle.

I NEED SOME EXPERIENCED MITSUBISHI PEOPLE TO GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!!!
So here are my Questions:

Question & Option #1 Are there ways to keep this 2003 4.2L Automatic and get 200 or so HP that would be reliable and... will the Automatic I have be able to handle the added power.? How mush would I have to spend to get that added HP?

Option #2 Would I be smarter going with a different engine and what do you suggest, and Why? I would prefer to end up with an Automatic if that is possible. I really hate to shift with my left leg since I got a Knee Replacement, but I will If I must. I am very capable of changing my motor mounts etc and fitting a different engine in the trike. But I used all the front cross member, Struts, brake lines etc from my doner car a 2003 Eclipse. I would like to keep with an engine that would have worked in that car. That would keep me from having to completely rebuild the frame to house a totally different front end's components. I can make room for anything that is close to the 2.4L's size.

Question #3 Would the V6 they made from the same year Eclipse be a good choice?... and how much HP would I Gain? That would eliminate a lot of changes to my existing set-up. Since a lot of what I now have already would work.

I am very happy with what I have built and have spent hours and hours to get where I am now. But I would just love for this trike to be a lot faster than it is. Right now with the Automatic it drives fantastic and will get up and go pretty good but I would love for it to be FASTER!!

I am new to the mechanic world so try to keep it simple for me so I can understand your comments.

·
Funky Old Greenhorn
2003 Eclipse 2.4L engine witha Automatic. Put into a custom fraim 3 wheel vehicle.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I did call it a 4.2L. Dyslexia I guess...
Thanks 3G Runner for your comment.
I really do think I want 200 HP. If I am going to change anything l I want at least 50 more HP than what I have now. I believe I already have around 150HP since it has no smog on it.

I have been told that the Automatic that came with my 2003 Eclipse 2.4L cannot handle much added HP. Like adding a Turbo.
Is that statement True?
I question what that person told me because the same automatic transmissions are used in all the 2000 to 2005's regardless if they are a 2.4L or the 3.0 V6. I could be wrong.

OPTION 1: I could add on whatever it takes to my 4G 64, and go for around 200 HP. Is that a smart option? Bang for the Buck?
QUESTION: Approximately how much would it cost me to get 200 dependable HP from my 4G64 using a Turbo or what ever it takes to get to a dependable 200HP

OPTION 2: I could change my Engine and computer to the same Year (Third Generation) V6 ,(G6 -72) and get about 200 or 210 HP with it being stock.
QUESTION: Is the G6-72 a good dependable engine (3.0L V6) ... Does the Automatic hold up to the V6-210 HP?

This change would require few changes to my suspension and frame and would be pretty easy for me to do myself.

I like the idea of using a 3.5L or 3.8L with the Automatic it comes with because of it having 265 HP .... But..Looking at what I Believe would be involved wiring up the COMPUTER, That Is Not A Very Easy Option.
The G4 Eclipse's 2006? and up, that have a 3.5 or 3.8 use a Mitsubishi-SP platform . I would bet that Nothing I am now using for my drive-train (axles, front suspension arms, cross-member, brakes, struts etc) is the same as what I have now since it is a 2003 and they are from a Chrysler ST22 platform. I would need to change the entire drive-train to make it work. Basically I would have to get a G4 Eclipse etc.. and replace my entire suspension, sub frame etc to switch it over to the 3.5L / 3.8L. WOW. AND WORK OUT ALL THE WIRING THAT COMES WITH THE 09 and NEWER COMPUTER. Which was by far the hardest part of building the vehicle I already have. I will NEVER try and tackle wiring a car CPU myself again. I would have to get someone else to wire the computer and all that goes with it. Ignition, Transmission, Engine, All Sensors, the Fuse Boxes, ETC.

Option 3: Throw away all have worked thru like the computer, immobilizer, instruments wiring etc. Find a Powerful Engine to Replace my Mitsubishi with that has all the computer wiring worked out by someone else. Like an Accura or maybe a Honda. Plug and Play.

So What Option sounds best, and Why? Option #1, #2 or #3.

·
Funky Old Greenhorn
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3G Runner:
I really appreciate you reading my post and letting me ask you so many Questions. Hearing your thoughts and talking thru this is helping me figure what is possible and how much work it will take to end up with something really special.
After building the body for my trike I feel like it came out Awesome and now To make it my Dream Trike I don't want it to have average performance.
I guess I kind of messed up picking a 2.4 G4 64 AUTOMATIC as my donor car. At least as far as upgrading it now. They say that Hind Site is 20-20
I know I could handle all changes I would need to make to the frame. My Fear is only with the computer wiring. My Trike Progress stopped in 2008 for 3 years when I got to the computer and hooking it up. I spent over $1500 paying people to try to get it running. I only got it going because a super good guy from this club back in 2012 helped me out. Before that I was about to just junk the whole project. I kept being told.." If It Was Only A Manual Car"
I will not begin to mess with the engine wiring again unless I can buy a engine and Transmission that many have wired up and is a sure thing. I kept running into being saying... "I Don't Know how to wire up an Automatic" ... and.. "That just won't work with an Automatic"
If I decide to put in a v6...SHOULD I FORGET USING AN AUTOMATIC AND PLAN TO MAKE IT A MANUAL SHIFT??? I seriously wonder if it is too different from anything people are doing?

Here is what I am thinking I will have to do if I put in a V6 ....
1. I would have to scrap my 2003 Eclipse Instrument cluster because it won't work. 2. I would have to replace my current Ignition lock, Chip Key, and Immobilizer with ones that will work with the new Computer. All that stuff would need to be from the same years as the engine I decided to buy. 3. I would have to cut out and replace the Engine Cradle cross-member and motor/ Trans mounts, and bolt up the new suspension from the New Donor car. I could just put the whole complete suspension in it all the way out to the tires. Brake lines would bolt up. Steering is thrown away and I could just use my steering rods I have to lock it up and make my toe in / toe out, adjustable. The wheelbase is going to change from 100.8" (2003) to 101.4" (2008 -2012) So that's probably close enough that my body won't look goofy. I will have to make some struts like I did already. (I made some from a Honda vehicle because the Eclipse are too big around and hang over the tires, which looked funky)
If I could get the Engine, Tranny, and Ignition all wired up I would not try yo use the car's dash this time and just go with a aftermarket GPS Speedo, Tach, Oil, Water, and Amp guages. My current fuel guage and all my lights would be like they are now.
IT IS VERY DOABLE.
I want to ask you again.....SHOULD I FORGET USING AN AUTOMATIC AND PLAN TO MAKE IT A MANUAL SHIFT??? Or do you think the computer working with an Automatic is too funky to mess with? Stock shift linkage of a manual will not reach.

·
Funky Old Greenhorn
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't really comment if you should stick to an auto or go manual. You could reach out to other forums for the platforms for the engine you might want to swap out and start talking with them and see if you can find someone who can give you the insight you need. What I know is from what people have said over the years.
Good Advice. Thank You

·
Funky Old Greenhorn
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like you need a stand-alone ecu and to just build the motor.
Good Advice
FunkyOldMan, it sounds like you really want an automatic so you don't have to shift. You also want more power. You know what you want, and I think you'll be happy in the long run changing over to a more powerful engine and keeping the automatic. It's the same as compromising and buying a cheap version of that thing you really want. The satisfaction of saving a little money fades quickly, but the bitterness of wishing you had the thing you really wanted lasts a long time.
Your Comment is what I think I wanted to hear. I approached the fiberglass body with that kind of thinking. When the shape was not comming out like I really wanted I didn't settle. I cut the fiberglass up and tried again. Looking back it was a lot of work to not just settle and now I am so glad I was particular. That is how I should approach the motor. I have been dissatisfied with the engine and week transmission. Like you said... "I know what I want". I think that is great advice. Thanks Jelazar.

·
Funky Old Greenhorn
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like you need a stand-alone ecu and to just build the motor.
I'm so unsure of the Transmission's ability, and I really won't think it is at all worth just adding 25 to 50 HP. Adding more power than that, I don't trust the transmission. Thanks for the comment Chinchooter11

·
Funky Old Greenhorn
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The transmission will be fine, you should just turbo the motor. Unlike what was said before hand. The automatic PCM can be tuned and rewritten. And it should be fine up to 10 psi on a 50mm sized turbo. That should get you around the 200 ish ballpark.
Well I wanted everyone's opinion. And I appreciate yours. I will have to see if anyone in my area can tune and rewrite my PCM. When a Turbo is added I am sure there are other things to be done other than a bolt on Kit...Right? If I went this route it would definitely be easier. I did notice when researching that Wikipedia says the same Automatic that I have is used in the 2003 ( 6G 72 ) 3.0L V6 that is rated at 210 P. I feel like 200 would probably be enough power for a 1500 lb vehicle. Much more than that I would just be dealing with needing some more traction LOL.
Give me your best guess what the $$$ cost would be for EVERYTHING NEEDED to make it dependable with your suggested 10psi 50mm Turbo. 1,000 1.500 or more? Thanks Tprate2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts