Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got there, and had to wait for a honda that was making 210hp all motor. Then got my car loaded and strapped down. I had a problem getting the run to go smoothly because I have an Automatic, and it wants to downshift if I hit the throttle too much while in 3rd. And if I don't give it enough throttle, it stays in closed loop and leans out until it hits open loop. So, I had to get used to the feel of the dyno, and how much throttle to give it, and adjust my open loop settings.

Here it is. On my first run, without any dyno tuning, and only 10psi, I made like 185hp and like 200tq. I was between 10-17 psi on my many runs today. These two sheets are my best, and are both in the upper 15's, low 16's on psi. It wassn't holding well. I was having trouble with my power dropping way way off after 5000 rpm's, and it turned out to be because I had an alarm on my boost controller set from when I was first tuning. After the boost past the alarm for more than 1 sec, it opened up and was running spring pressure :uh:

So, I finally got that finished up, pulled enough timing to reduce knock to under 5. It pretty much knocks 1-4 after 4000 rpm's. I think thats acceptable, and my A/F ratio is still a little rich, but I wanted to not push my limits. Anyway, here are both of my best runs.

First run was 215hp and 263tq. (I was knocking more in this run than the rest)

The second best was 216hp and 255tq.

I am open to comments, but please remember that I am auto, and as such loose hp through the drivetrain more, and have an even more conservative cam than the manual. I'll continue to update whenever I have news.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm not sure if it's possible in the Stratus, but have you thought of converting to sportronic controls? You'd be able to keep it in 3rd no problem, and it really isn't that difficult of a conversion to do...with how much you've done to the car, it should be a piece of cake for you. Not too shabby though considering the issues you were having...

·
Registered
282 Posts
i know yur an auto, but those numbers still seem kinda low to me for 16-17psi.... I'd think you'd be up closer to 300whp or better......

What turbo is this with?? Also isn't a 4 count of knock kinda high?? I thought usually anything 2 or less was considered acceptable.

Good job tho!

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if it's possible in the Stratus, but have you thought of converting to sportronic controls? You'd be able to keep it in 3rd no problem, and it really isn't that difficult of a conversion to do...with how much you've done to the car, it should be a piece of cake for you. Not too shabby though considering the issues you were having...
Kidney, I just want a manual tranny.

i know yur an auto, but those numbers still seem kinda low to me for 16-17psi.... I'd think you'd be up closer to 300whp or better......

What turbo is this with?? Also isn't a 4 count of knock kinda high?? I thought usually anything 2 or less was considered acceptable.

Good job tho!
Umm...I started at 103hp, which was like 35-40 below what the manual cars dyno stock.

I've had as high as like 16 knock at one point. I think average was like around 2 when it happenes, but its not consistant, and I don't want to pull timing across the board. Spikes of 4 knock isn't bad in my opinion, pushing it, but not that bad. My intercooler isn't that large/efficient, and having hot intake air probably isn't helping me run more timing for more power. Anyway, I know there is lost more power to be had, I just don't have the money/time to invest currently, especially with the holidays coming up.

I had a free day, and decided to put the money twards dyno time, instead of getting my spare head machined assembled with cam and all. I guess I kinda watch people put 100% of their money/time into getting their car better, and never know just where they're at. Honestly I thought I would be higher than this, but oh well....$180 for like 25 runs... lol over 3 hours. Can't beat that unless you get it for free.

And... not many people have dyno'd at 300hp, at least from what I have seen. I have seen exactly 1 dyno sheet of 300hp on our platform. I would love to see more!

My turbo is a slutty turbo..... it was a T3/60-1, then I swapped turbine sides, so now its a TD05/60-1. I'm not using the full potential of my turbo, not by a long shot.

·
Big 16G Evo
82 Posts
Decent numbers man, glad to see ur coming along. 4 knock does seem bad, i'd try to get that lower, and i bet your runs would be smoother.

Have a good holidays man.

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Decent numbers man, glad to see ur coming along. 4 knock does seem bad, i'd try to get that lower, and i bet your runs would be smoother.

Have a good holidays man.

And I don't know what to do about that knock, its not consistant. sometimes at 4.5k and sometimes at 5.5k but not always. When I pulled like 2 degree more, I still had the same knock, and lost like 10hp

·
Registered
282 Posts
maybe it's what some other members on here were describing as "phantom knock", where you're getting knock counts but not really knocking...

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HAHA, I am sticking to strictly 93, because thats what I drive around with. If I tuned with race gas, it would only be good for 1 tank, which doesn't last long for me. But.... I would have some better numbers.

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Id expect a little more hp with that sized turbo and the boost levels your at. Regaurdless, at least its a safe tune.
I know its not whats expected, but also a stock manual 4g64 usually dyno's alot more than what I started with.

At least I doubled my hp and then a little. Anyway, eventually I'll return with new numbers, when I have the money for more parts (bottom end) and and machine work (head).

Is anyone in possession, or has anyone seen a stock-engine auto-tranny turbo'd and dyno'd? I think that every dyno (turbo 4g64) I have seen so far have all been manual transmissions. I know they're out there, I just haven't seen them.

·
wishful thinking
544 Posts
i think that 4 counts of knock is fine i would be very surprized if anything internally broke because of 4 counts of knock. It would most likely be a boost spike or a patch of bad gas that would do you in not 4 counts of knock. That is incredibly respectable for a sporttronic as many have said those are impressive numbers!

I had a manual so i cant speak for automatics but at 10psi i was only 220 whp and 240 torque. i also had my car professionally tuned so that speaks alot for your abilities to tune cars. Congrats on a good job

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks man, I really appreciate the support and kind words bluegs03. I spent probably 6 months messing with the tune before I finally got it driving good both in and out of boost. I kept changing the maps so that it would be good in boost, then it would run rich out of boost, and back and forth. I went from blowing through the GM maf to speed density, to speed density plug blowing through the stock maf for baro/temp (that didn't work at all) and finally back to the origional GM MAF in blow through setup. I finally figured out why my car wasn't running well with the GM MAF with EVO translator, it needed the airflow hz to be bumped up like 20% or so. Then the car was happy, stopped having fluxuating fuel trims. My LTFT are always at 0 now, and my short-term vary depending on the weather. I also had to re-adjust my latencies on the lower end of the voltages. It was over 1, and since i have an "overdrive" pulley, it puts out less voltage at idle than normal, and I was going rich to the point of killing the motor. Anyway, finally got all that smoothed out, and she runs like a beauty.

I still want more power, but don't we all?

·
110 Posts
those numbers do seem low for that psi. at 11psi my car made 243 whp and 295 trq. nice numbers just seems a little low for the psi though

1 - 20 of 33 Posts