Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What I would like to see is a small Turbo Charger or Super Charger get created that made say between 35-45 HP for a price no more then $1500.00. I am wondering if that is possible for someone to make?

For instance on the Monte Carlo, you can get the standard 200 HP engine or the SS which has a small Super Charger producing an extra 40 HP... Why can't someone build that for our cars? I have no interest in have 350+ HP or spending $4000.00 + on it either....

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehe thanks. my mistake typing...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True but I don't want Nitrous, having a Spyder I am very limited with trunk space...

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
and its dangerous, isn't it? That would be a good idea stud. And to go with it, make it 100% bolt on and pretuned so you don't have to do a thing. Just plug and go. That would be nice. Wishful thinking....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Studmuffin said:
True but I don't want Nitrous, having a Spyder I am very limited with trunk space...

vin put it under the seat :D

I've heard of an electric supercharger. No, not the stupid hairdryer tornado or any of that BS, it's a real electric supercharger, that charges up and gives you maybe a minute of boost before it cuts out and your alternator charges it up again. I forgot where I saw it

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I'd be happy with a $2400 bolt on 60-75hp. :sad:

RPW is developing a new supercharger solution based on Alpine's roots unit. It's the same one Toyota's TRD uses and they charge from $1999 to $2495 and gain from 36-75hp. :dunno:

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you're gonna spend that much, why not spend a bit more and get the real deal? It's gonna be the same type of install, so why not make it worthwhile. You'll get sick of 50hp real quick.

·
///M
571 Posts
keymaster said:
If you're gonna spend that much, why not spend a bit more and get the real deal? It's gonna be the same type of install, so why not make it worthwhile. You'll get sick of 50hp real quick.
:agreed:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why would a 35-45 HP Gain be pointless? You think I should spend what another $3500 for a stage 2 or 3 Plus the $1100 for headers plus the $1000.00 for an LSD? I don't have $7000.00 + dollars to toss around for that kind of setup to me that is pointless.

I would rather have the constant extra 45 HP then to have to use Nitrous on a continous basis... I personally think lots of people would jump at the chance to add 35-45 extra continous HP to their car for $1500.00.

·
Vortech > VTEC
1,450 Posts
Studmuffin said:
Why would a 35-45 HP Gain be pointless? You think I should spend what another $3500 for a stage 2 or 3 Plus the $1100 for headers plus the $1000.00 for an LSD? I don't have $7000.00 + dollars to toss around for that kind of setup to me that is pointless.

I would rather have the constant extra 45 HP then to have to use Nitrous on a continous basis... I personally think lots of people would jump at the chance to add 35-45 extra continous HP to their car for $1500.00.
You said up to $1500.

For $4000, which is $2500 more, you can have a stage 2, which doesn't require an LSD or a upgraded tranny, only headers. And to be clear, you don't have to buy Ripp's headers for $1200. For can buy any headers. So you could be looking at less than $600 for those (new).

I just know I personally wouldn't waste $1500 for that kind of gain. If I'm going to upgrade, I want a real upgrade, otherwise I won't even bother changing it from stock.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think if I had 365HP I think I would need an LSD would I not? Now correct me if I am wrong but lets use the RIPP Headers for a moment Ripp Headers =$1200.00 and you get about 28 HP out of them, or say BFD Headers for 769.00 giving out ~20 HP?
why for another 300 could you not get 35-45 out of a small turbo or sds without having to buy a set of Headers?

·
Vortech > VTEC
1,450 Posts
Studmuffin said:
I why for another 300 could you not get 35-45 out of a small turbo or sds without having to buy a set of Headers?
I'm not saying you can't. I'm saying I don't think it would be worth it. If you start at the base of 165-170 whp that the 3G comes with, then add 35-40 hp, you're at 200-210 whp.

You're still getting beat by most anything that was beating you before, just not as bad.

Also, I wouldn't bet the farm on the whp figures you see on Ripps page. I don't know what kind of dyno that was done on, but they don't seem like realistic figures. I'll know more when I dyno mine shortly. I'm guessing I'll be in the 300-340 whp range.

Personally, I'm not planning on getting an LSD until it's time to go to stage 3, which is a little ways off at the moment.

I had this discussion with someone offline, and one point I'd like to make is that if this was a factory option (covered under factory warranty), I would agree with you, people would want it, and it would sell well. However, my thought is if people are going to do aftermarket add ons, and invalidate their entire drive train warranty, they want bigger power.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
slavetothemuzic said:
I had this discussion with someone offline, and one point I'd like to make is that if this was a factory option (covered under factory warranty), I would agree with you, people would want it, and it would sell well. However, my thought is if people are going to do aftermarket add ons, and invalidate their entire drive train warranty, they want bigger power.
Thats a very good point

·
Vortech > VTEC
1,450 Posts
stylez said:
Just like someone mentioned above. You'll grow bored with 50whp real quick. Boost is a euphoria. Its addicting. After a month or two of small fries stuff, you'll WANT to go bigger and better. Never underestimate boost. ;)
That's way to damn true. I wasn't even going to get anything with boost, but once I started modding and tasted a tiny bit of extra speed, I couldn't stop. :bash:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts