Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No I really like my car, there is only one other Spyder in the city and it is a GS Model. Plus I still have a little over 2 years worth of payments on it :(

·
Vortech > VTEC
1,450 Posts
Or just save a little cash every month until it's paid off (all the while watching the turbo vs SDS jihads on the boards), THEN make your decision on which brand of crack you want. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Or save some money and when RPW decides to have that supercharger ready get that, its only gonna provide you about 60-75 hp more for a very good price.

·
Registered
970 Posts
blackgt00 said:
Or save some money and when RPW decides to have that supercharger ready get that, its only gonna provide you about 60-75 hp more for a very good price.

Ummmmm ok we have seen no gains yet ? No price yet ?

How can you say that ?

How many things have you personally bought from RPW ? Not a knock at all just curious to see if people have ANY idea what they are talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Speculation. :dunno:

Howabout we all just freeking let the man dream. It was an "I would like to see..." thread after all.

:rant2:

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Stud, I am in the same situation as you. I am willing to spend around $1500 for an extra 50hp. I ended up ordering the RIPP headers and a Zex dry kit (talk about a snug fit with two 10" JL subs back there too!). Neither are installed just yet so I don't know if they will be enough to satisfy my need 4 speed but it did seem like the only cheap way to get those extra 50 horses. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is one device that will give us that extra 50hp without additional costs (nos refills) or worries about internals damage. Also, I am not happy about having such a volatile substance a mere 5 feet from my head (especially after being rear-ended by a Tacoma going 45mph, last month).

If you have the patience I would suggest saving up about $2500 and buying a slightly used SDS off ebay. I've seen like 3 (I know I saw 2 being auctioned for under $2500). I would have gotten one but had JUST placed my order for the headers so I was broke!

·
Registered
970 Posts
NC[Spyder]GT said:
Stud, I am in the same situation as you. I am willing to spend around $1500 for an extra 50hp. I ended up ordering the RIPP headers and a Zex dry kit (talk about a snug fit with two 10" JL subs back there too!). Neither are installed just yet so I don't know if they will be enough to satisfy my need 4 speed but it did seem like the only cheap way to get those extra 50 horses. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is one device that will give us that extra 50hp without additional costs (nos refills) or worries about internals damage. Also, I am not happy about having such a volatile substance a mere 5 feet from my head (especially after being rear-ended by a Tacoma going 45mph, last month).

If you have the patience I would suggest saving up about $2500 and buying a slightly used SDS off ebay. I've seen like 3 (I know I saw 2 being auctioned for under $2500). I would have gotten one but had JUST placed my order for the headers so I was broke!
Hey I see you are in NC ! Are you coming to the NAFI meet the beginning of June ??

·
3g -> LGT
738 Posts
Im in NC too, what/where is this NAFI meet, can you lead me to a post?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
npeifer said:
Hey I see you are in NC ! Are you coming to the NAFI meet the beginning of June ??
I'm not sure... I'm in the process of closing on a house so funds are a little tight... Amazing, at 26 y/o I have never been to a "meet". I really should go cuz I need to take a look at some of these turbo/sds installs to see if it is something that would be worth my $ & time. Right now my car doesn't have any real power mods so there isn't much to show off. Maybe if I could find a good install shop or some w/e tuners in the RTP area then I could have my headers and nitrous installed in time for the meet...

I guess, in short, if I get some power added to the car before the meet then I will plan on coming. Otherwise, I fear it may not be worth while :(

·
Registered
970 Posts
NC[Spyder]GT said:
I'm not sure... I'm in the process of closing on a house so funds are a little tight... Amazing, at 26 y/o I have never been to a "meet". I really should go cuz I need to take a look at some of these turbo/sds installs to see if it is something that would be worth my $ & time. Right now my car doesn't have any real power mods so there isn't much to show off. Maybe if I could find a good install shop or some w/e tuners in the RTP area then I could have my headers and nitrous installed in time for the meet...

I guess, in short, if I get some power added to the car before the meet then I will plan on coming. Otherwise, I fear it may not be worth while :(

The idea is to see what everyone else has done and gather ideas for the future as well as meet other club members who can offer first hand experience to you and others. If yours isn't done you should still come and join in the fun as there will be many others who are not FI. People are attending from places as far away as Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, PA, New Jersey, New York and FL !!!

You will get to see some of the most powerful cars in the club at this meet !!! Some making 400whp and 25 PSI of boost as well as many custom setups both turbo and SDS.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
NC[Spyder]GT said:

Yes the NOS being that close would concern me as well. So I save the $2500.00 for a used SDS, I still need to spend between another $700-1100 for headers for the SDS as well, plus with 360 HP, no doubt an LSD as well. The other disadvantage I have is I live in Canada as well, so 1 Canadian Dollar is on worth about $0.77 US so for 2500 it would cost me roughly $3600.00 with the exchange and duty too much for me to spend, my car payments ar almost $700.00 a month and I paid close to $51,000 for the car (Taxes in at 15%)

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Studmuffin said:
...I still need to spend between another $700-1100 for headers for the SDS as well
Correct...sorry I forgot about the need for those :( With that in mind I cannot think of any way to add only 50hp (without NOS) for under $2K (USA)

Studmuffin said:
...my car payments ar almost $700.00 a month and I paid close to $51,000 for the car (Taxes in at 15%)
I pray to GOD that you are talking Canadian dollars!

·
My luvly manly lump!
2,438 Posts
I dunno what to add to constructively add to this except for to say you want to scrimp on getting power means you'll probably be scrimping on quality. First off, we know you understand that hardware is by no means cheap. True, you might be able to eBay a set of used hardware - a sub-par TC unit, SAFC, and wastegate off eBay. Then try snagging some old XTech piping off some old geezer on the boards. However, this is the MINIMUM for HARDWARE alone that you'll need to make the car run.

This doesn't account for the fact that you need to make sure the car is tuned, you also want to make sure that the car will run SAFE. These all cost money. And these are all, in my book, concerns revolving around quality.

You forget that you need to also manage fuel, timing, and A/F mixture, and conditions control, as well as make sure these all work well with the stock ECU. An S-AFC won't cut it.

So to answer your question... don't bother if you can't measure up cost-wise this early. And I hope you listen, coz despite what so many people with experience say about it, power can be a powerful drug that, chances are, is larger than you are.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts