Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
When I was searching for my first car I drove a 2001 2.5 RS that showed its bad head gaskets on the final test drive. If I had gotten that car things would be very different.

·
Spring King
4,967 Posts
I'd have to think real hard about getting the Eclipse again or getting a WRX or RSX. I really think any of the 3 would have been good, I can't complain about the Eclipse and its reliability was perfect, but the others would have been easier to mod. All had their pro's and con's.

·
Disfunctional
109 Posts
In all honesty I would have done the build Im working on now from the begining. A 2005 SRT-4.this cars potential is amazing .
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
would any of y'all get a 4G Eclipse?
Nope.

For me it came down to what was available when I was buying a car. In mid 2000 really the only options where the 3G or the newly designed Celica. I looked at a whole host of other cars (Cougar, Firebird, Volvo, Acura) but nothing really fit the bill better than the 3G. I considered a new GST/GSX since there were still a few to be had at that time, but honestly I fell in love with the looks of the 3G and that coupled with a very "daily-drivable" V-6 sealed the deal for me at a price point much less than a GST/GSX.

Now, what I would do differently would have been to ditch the leather seats and premium sound system and try to get a model with only a sunroof and no spoiler, but as it was my first car purchase I wasn't thinking long haul in the fact I would change the stereo, and the leather seats were not great quality and would have enjoyed the cloth ones much more (That is until I put the ECO seats in:yesway::D)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nope.

For me it came down to what was available when I was buying a car. In mid 2000 really the only options where the 3G or the newly designed Celica. I looked at a whole host of other cars (Cougar, Firebird, Volvo, Acura) but nothing really fit the bill better than the 3G. I considered a new GST/GSX since there were still a few to be had at that time, but honestly I fell in love with the looks of the 3G and that coupled with a very "daily-drivable" V-6 sealed the deal for me at a price point much less than a GST/GSX.

Now, what I would do differently would have been to ditch the leather seats and premium sound system and try to get a model with only a sunroof and no spoiler, but as it was my first car purchase I wasn't thinking long haul in the fact I would change the stereo, and the leather seats were not great quality and would have enjoyed the cloth ones much more (That is until I put the ECO seats in:yesway::D)
I keep seeing people say the leather is poor quality. I picked up my 02 GT in 2009, and have done nothing to treat or otherwise preserve the leather, and it looks great. No rips, no tears, still comfortable. I'm actually looking at some new cars now and the thing I would miss most would be the leather, it's so easy to keep clean.

·
Stocker
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope.

lol what did the premium sound system consist of anyway?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I would have gone with something European the first time. Got a volvo s80 now and the eclipse just sits, really putting thought into selling it/trading towards a vw or audi

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
I keep seeing people say the leather is poor quality. I picked up my 02 GT in 2009, and have done nothing to treat or otherwise preserve the leather, and it looks great. No rips, no tears, still comfortable. I'm actually looking at some new cars now and the thing I would miss most would be the leather, it's so easy to keep clean.
It's just not a quality leather compared to other cars. Not that I expected a 20k car to have Benz-quality leather, but I could have saved a decent chunk of money and been just as happy, if not more so with cloth seats since they are a bit more grippy not to mention cooler.

lol what did the premium sound system consist of anyway?
Really just seven speakers with an external amp, I ended up replacing it all, rather soon after buying the car.

·
Stocker
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's just not a quality leather compared to other cars. Not that I expected a 20k car to have Benz-quality leather, but I could have saved a decent chunk of money and been just as happy, if not more so with cloth seats since they are a bit more grippy not to mention cooler.

lol yeah they are

Really just seven speakers with an external amp, I ended up replacing it all, rather soon after buying the car.
Oh okay

·
Litre of cola?
85 Posts
I would have/should have bought a 2006 350z that I looked at shortly before I bought my first 3g, but I was 17 at the time and my parents wouldn't let me buy it because it only had two seats and I "might" need to take my siblings somewhere sometime in the remaining 6 months before I turned 18 and moved out.....needless to say I never took them anywhere before I turned 18 and moved out. :rant2:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts