Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you install shorter pistons for a less comp. rate, can you make your engine a non-interferance engine? because i read on a couple of threads that that the GTS has a 10:1 comp rate that meens that its to high for FI.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
What would dropping them out of interference accomplish other than paralyzing the motor because there wouldn't be enough compression to make it run?

Shortening the compression height requires custom pistons, at which point you might as well just tell the company making them what cams you're going to run so they can put the correct pockets in there then just change your timing belt when you're supposed to. Then they'll never hit...

Otherwise you'd be shortening the rods which also requires custom manufacturing at which point you might as well just spend the money on custom pistons instead because shortening the rods debilitates rotating ability as well as the drop in compression ruining your motor. Beyond that stock rods are capable of anything you could want as far as power so there is no reason to change them.

The truth is 9:1 is perfect for boosting these motors on pump gas to just about anything you could want. The only time you're looking at bending valves is if your timing belt snaps and that's just a facet of pure laziness.

You do not need to get "creative" with this. Build the motor with all the details up front and you won't have any problems. If you're trying to avoid interference then you shouldn't have gotten an interference motor in the first place.

·
V8 > 3G
2,717 Posts
A thermal spacer placed between the block and heads would do the trick. Removing the interferance while lowering intake temps and compression all in on shot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, Well I just thought about it the other day was not sure if it could be done. still trying to deside if i am going to get the 4cyl and try to turbo it, or just get the 6cyl and put a couple mdds on it like exhaust, headers, and a short ram air intake

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
ok, Well I just thought about it the other day was not sure if it could be done. still trying to deside if i am going to get the 4cyl and try to turbo it, or just get the 6cyl and put a couple mdds on it like exhaust, headers, and a short ram air intake
Drive to Florida and buy my 3.8L swapped 3G. Already has intake, headers, and exhaust. Ill put in a new timing belt for free!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts