Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder 3.0 GTS with 148,000 miles.
Brought the car 3 weeks ago and doing a tune-up. With that, trying to change my ignition coil, cap and rotor in my distributor (I have regular spark plugs wires, not the coil packs).

But when I open up my distributor,(removed the cover, rotor, and then inside cover behind the rotor) I don't see any ignition coil to change.
I even go to the Mitsubishi site to see a diagram of the distributor, and the only parts to take off are the cap, rotor, a few screws, and then the inside cap.

I'm confused..so the ignition coil I specifically brought from Rockauto doesn't fit anywhere? Can someone help me out to understand where it truly goes.. I attached a pic of what I received.
I made absolutely sure I was on the right year, model, make..took a picture in case.
Do I need to dig deeper into the distributor? How do I go about doing that? There's no more screws to undo or anything else that seems to open. After taking off the rotor and inside-cap it looks like the coil can't fit in there at all...more confusion 馃槖

Attachments

Registered
2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS
So yes, I have the same year/ same trim, the coil is located inside the distributor, and as Widgmaster says, it is NON-SERVICEABLE, save yourself a headache and just replace the entire distributor, I suggest removing the intake plenum for easier access to the bolts because your gonna have to use a wrench, i just did the same job on mine 3 weeks ago, very simple job, shouldn't take more than 1-2 hours, just depends on if you've done it before.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So yes, I have the same year/ same trim, the coil is located inside the distributor, and as Widgmaster says, it is NON-SERVICEABLE, save yourself a headache and just replace the entire distributor, I suggest removing the intake plenum for easier access to the bolts because your gonna have to use a wrench, i just did the same job on mine 3 weeks ago, very simple job, shouldn't take more than 1-2 hours, just depends on if you've done it before.
Yeah I just decided to replace the dizzy anyway(waiting on it through the mail), the distributor key-shaft that goes into the camshaft is rather stiff when I turn it.
Guess I'll just save the rotor and cap I brought for a future tune-up.
BUT...why would an replaceable ignition coil be sold on ROCKAUTO if it can't be replaced? Makes no sense馃.

Now I have an ignition coil that I don't know what to do with.
Could return it, and get $6 back(shipping returns cost $5).
Are they replaceable on the 2.4 engines? I thought they had coils to replace the spark plugs wires and distributor...or am I wrong?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts