Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
finally BOOSTED
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys... im going to start my project tommorow. im going to finally order the stage 3 S/C from RIPP. im also going to get the stage 2 cams from RPW and the stage 1 upgraded throttle body. (last two probably coming later). does anyone have any advice or experience to share? how much should i expect to pay for the S/C? is the sites price the final offer or is there better? how much did you guys get your for? im really nervous to start this as it will be a LOT of money and would like some input... thanks a lot guys!

edit: by the way... im bout to head out to the movies... i'll be back to reply in a little bit... thanks again

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
You live only about 35miles from me!
Id be happy to help you install it. :)

YOu definately shouldnt make the purchase, and certainly dont even think about installing it yourself if you are nervous about it. You should only attempt this if you are 100% confident that youa re prepared to take on this kind of project.

·
Registered
204 Posts
WEASELFURY said:
ok guys... im going to start my project tommorow. im going to finally order the stage 3 S/C from RIPP. im also going to get the stage 2 cams from RPW and the stage 1 upgraded throttle body. (last two probably coming later). does anyone have any advice or experience to share? how much should i expect to pay for the S/C? is the sites price the final offer or is there better? how much did you guys get your for? im really nervous to start this as it will be a LOT of money and would like some input... thanks a lot guys!

edit: by the way... im bout to head out to the movies... i'll be back to reply in a little bit... thanks again
If you are getting the cams and the SDS, you may have to think about not getting the black/grey box along with the SDS. I am pretty sure the tune preprogrammed into the grey box will not be compatible with anything other than stock cam profiles. So this will open a whole new problem. You'll have to get an e-manage and go through the trouble of getting a proper tune to work with the Stage 3 SDS, and I don't know how successful anyone has been in using the e-manage (or any other fuel/air control system other than the grey box) with a stage 3 SDS system. You'll have to make sure you have a good tuning/performance shop with good e-manage experience and dyno experience to make sure you get a safe tune.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rialto? Ha your about 45min south :twothumb: I'm up in the desert. When you get this done, we gotta catch up so I can see how it turns out! Hey, I offer my help too, but uhh.. Dont know what i"m doin w/ FI, so mostly I'd be there to observe :)

~ Mike

·
Got Boost? Me either
5,789 Posts
you definately should not dump this amount of money into a project if you are nervous about it

·
Ripped Evo
1,178 Posts
WEASELFURY said:

1st off save your money.
You dont need cams!
2nd hold off on SDS Stage3

TryStage2.5 first...
Stage2.5 is a Great COMBO that uses...
Ripp's Larger 2.88inch Blower Shaft Pulley (5-6psi) WITH

Ripp's Overdrive Aluminum Crank Shaft Pulley (9+psi over the Stock Crank Shaft Pulley)

This is a (12-14psi) COMBO
Remember you will need the Boost Cooler (Water/Meth Kit)

You will need Pistons if you go for Stage3...

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
Kc2Buk said:
Tearstone said:
If your going to use the SDS with this particular setup then definitely look into converterting the SDS for a suck through MAS with a decent piggy back.
QUOTE]

BAD IDEA for Stage2, 2.5, and 3!
You arent even going ot give any supporting evidence as to why it isnt a good idea?

When you guys say: you need pistons with stage x....Do you just replace the pistons, without touching anything else int he engine? Or do you do a complete overhaul/engine build? IF you just replace the pistons, THEN, you are talking about a BAD idea IMO.

·
Sebring 6G72
518 Posts
horrible idea....

just doing a slap in piston job with no reworking or prepping is horrible.

You have a 10x better chance of any of these setups surviving if you gap the rings like Rezlo said.

That is the cause of alot of problems for chipped/cracked pistons.

·
Sebring 6G72
518 Posts
I also think meth injection is a Bad IDEA IMO

all this, "intercoolers are not required for sds system" ... "Intercoolers were proven not to work" ... "the supercharger suffers because of the pressure drop in air to air intercoolers"

no facts.... dumbest statements ive heard...

if you use a intercooler that is efficient with low pressure drop... There should be no problems.

**Sry just had to vent that out... ***

·
finally BOOSTED
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey thanks guys for the input. i was not thinking about doing this myself by any means. im nervous about the money situation. i have it but im nervous to spend that much! K2buk, that is exactly the advice i was looking for. but i want to be around where you are at with your setup. tell what i will need to do to my engine to get it to your level. i am very envious of you and want my car to be at that area of power! i want to build up the engine, and since you seem to be pushing the most boost off this thing i figure i would ask you...

·
finally BOOSTED
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also... no one is running cams with an SDS setup? can we all try and find a way to make this work or will i have to be the first guinea pig? i would definetely appreciate input for this also... anything would help

·
Got Boost? Me either
5,789 Posts
if you are concerned about the money situation, do you really want to be a guinea pig?

·
Registered
970 Posts
WEASELFURY said:
also... no one is running cams with an SDS setup? can we all try and find a way to make this work or will i have to be the first guinea pig? i would definetely appreciate input for this also... anything would help

I have been the gineau pig twice on the cams to no avail at all, there simply isn't one that works due to the factory ECU and many other reasons. My and Kc2buks cars both make 400whp and neither of us have upgraded cams. There is only one person running cams successfully with the SDS and he is using a custom piggy back and the car isn't street driveable.

Stage 3 is currently undergoing a revision on mine and Kc's cars that you will hear good things about shortly. I understand your want to get to the hp level of others but if I were you I would order the stage 2/2.5 at this time and talk to RIPP about the upgrade coming in the near future !

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Burn504 said:
I also think meth injection is a Bad IDEA IMO

all this, "intercoolers are not required for sds system" ... "Intercoolers were proven not to work" ... "the supercharger suffers because of the pressure drop in air to air intercoolers"

no facts.... dumbest statements ive heard...

if you use a intercooler that is efficient with low pressure drop... There should be no problems.

**Sry just had to vent that out... ***
I think a side mount intercooler would probably work best for a SDS, although I can't say for sure but I do know they tested Front mounts before.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts