Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Mitsubishi eclipse GT v6 coming home from work one day my car suddenly stopped the day before that I clean my throttle body out my idle air control out and put it all back in place is running smooth and then it died just died now I can't get it back going. I change the fuel pump fuel injectors plugs and wires it's getting spark getting fuel it turns over just won't ignite what the heck do I do

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similar issue, it was my Mass Air Flow sensor.

Disconnect your MAF and see if it runs, is going to idle rough but it shouldn't die.
You can also connect a scan tool and see the MAF live data/freeze data.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
My battery has been out will it still have a code?
Probably not then. I'd also check to make sure you hooked all of the vacuum lines and intake stuff back up correctly and completely. The old tubes might be leaking because they got moved. Also make sure all of the electrical connectors are plugged in completely. Taking apart old cars is tough because they sometimes don't go back together well. Old plastic and rubber is fragile.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "plastics", but your MAF is right after the air cleaner in the intake tube. If you don't have the intake hooked up, it won't pull air through the MAF and at the very least, the car will run like garbage if it starts at all. Never tried, but I'd say eliminate all of the possible problems and hook it up like you're about to go for a drive.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Holy shit that escalated quickly. I'd check local yards. They'll probably be the best for price since you don't have to ship. Good luck.

Out of curiosity, how old were and how many miles did the timing belt and tensioner have on them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2000 Mitsubishi eclipse GT v6 coming home from work one day my car suddenly stopped the day before that I clean my throttle body out my idle air control out and put it all back in place is running smooth and then it died just died now I can't get it back going. I change the fuel pump fuel injectors plugs and wires it's getting spark getting fuel it turns over just won't ignite what the heck do I do
Soon as I read this I hoped it wouldn't end this way-

non-interference engines are time bombs, and getting a used Eclipse V6 pretty much demands you either verify how old the belt is prior to purchase or, without any proof from the previous owner, make up your mind to just change it if you buy it. I bought a 2000 GT from a guy and he didn't know if (or when) the belt was changed. It had about 140,000 miles on it when I checked it out, and I decided since he didn't know when it was done, I'd have to do it or take a chance...I used the fact that the age/mileage of the belt was unknown, so I got a really clean red stick shift with nice leather, clean body with nice paint, and a fun car for cheap. Did the belt, water pump and crank sensor for around $130, so it's good to at least 200k.

Now about that clutch...😄

·
Registered
11 Posts
Soon as I read this I hoped it wouldn't end this way-

non-interference engines are time bombs, and getting a used Eclipse V6 pretty much demands you either verify how old the belt is prior to purchase or, without any proof from the previous owner, make up your mind to just change it if you buy it. I bought a 2000 GT from a guy and he didn't know if (or when) the belt was changed. It had about 140,000 miles on it when I checked it out, and I decided since he didn't know when it was done, I'd have to do it or take a chance...I used the fact that the age/mileage of the belt was unknown, so I got a really clean red stick shift with nice leather, clean body with nice paint, and a fun car for cheap. Did the belt, water pump and crank sensor for around $130, so it's good to at least 200k.

Now about that clutch...😄
Stupid clutch....lol. Great advice...that belt, water pump, and crank sensor must do's together and when in doubt about the belt. Love this site!

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Just the usual. Strange sounds and smells, leaks, uneven power delivery. Start it up and let it run for a bit while looking everywhere for smoke or fluid. Then go for a short drive and check it again while its running. If your engine is used and doesn't need a break in, do do some full-throttle pulls in a safe spot. Check it again. Then go on the highway and check it again. Keep the radio off on your test runs so you can hear your car well. If you do all of this, you should be able to tell if something doesn't sound or feel right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts