Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Yesterday I decided to take out the indiglo gauges that came with the car. Everything went fine (or so I thought). When I put everything back together the gauges worked, but the lights didn't. I took it back apart to see if I had not plugged in something. Now none of the lights come on (except the open door one), the turn signals don't work, my windows won't go down, and none of the gauges work and the odometer doesn't come on. I checked all the fuses and none appeared to be blown. The stereo still works and the moon roof sounds like it's going to die. I am lost and really don't know what to do. Any help would be great. Thanks alot!

Matt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if I did? How would I go about fixing this? Why would the windows be affected?

Thanks again!

Matt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled the guage cluster out, and upon closer inspection, I found that one of the wires on the green circuit board behind it was burnt and broken. Is there anyway to fix this, or do I have to buy a completely new board or guage cluster? If so, where could I find a board? Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
319 Posts
there is a way to fix this, you have to re solder it. if u dont know what ur doing then id suggest u not try it...u might screw something else up. there was a thread about someone fixing their gauge cluster but u have to search for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried searching for it, to no success, is there a place that I would be able to buy the circuit board onlinE?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update... On my way to work today everything in the car died and the car stalled and wouldn't start again. And the alarm wouldn't de activate.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hope you're unhooking the battery while you're working on it. Some stuff in the gauge cluster is really sensitive. I've fried stuff with a voltmeter before. Also, make sure the dimmer switch is plugged in or the gauge lights won't work.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Not plugging in the dimmer is the #1 cause of people reporting that their gauge lights do not work.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Sounds like you have a short. Remove your newly installed wiring, check and replace fuses as needed and see if that fixes the issues you have described. If not, post back up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was removing the indiglo, so I was already removing the wiring. Checked all the fuses. It's at the mechanic now, since it died on me on my way to work yesterday. Would the guages affect the alternator or cpu at all? Thanks

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I was removing the indiglo, so I was already removing the wiring. Checked all the fuses. It's at the mechanic now, since it died on me on my way to work yesterday. Would the guages affect the alternator or cpu at all? Thanks
To my (limited) knowledge I would say no. This is assuming that the gauges were fused properly. If you are talking about the OEM gauges then no, they are fused so if there was damage or a short in them the fuse would blow and protect the ECU and the alternator.

What has me all curious is why the windows and blinkers no longer work. The dash stuff could all be explaned by a blown fuse or shorted-out gauge cluster circuit... but I don't think the windows are related to any of that. Did you disconnect the battery before installing the indiglo gauges? Do your blinkers not work or is it just the dash blinker lights that are not coming on? As stated, verify that your dimmer knob/switch is plugged in. If its not that would certainly explain why most of the dash lights are not lighting up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I push the hazard button the blinkers work (dash and outside), when I use the turn signal they don't. The dimmer switch was plugged in. The night before the car died the dash lights worked (but not the warning lights, blinkers, or guages). Stupidly I did not unplug the battery. I am hoping I didn't do an extensive amount of damage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The mechanic was able to get the car started yesterday without having to use anything else. So I still don't know what it could be. Any ideas?

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
It is definitely a fuse. Looking at a fuse and say "looks good to me" does not mean the fuse isn't blown.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But all the fuses I looked at all looked fine, as in they didn't appear to be blown, the metal wave in the plastic was still intact, and we used a tool that shows if a fuse is blown on all the fuses. How would the fuse cause the car to die? Thanks.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
The best way to test a fuse is to put your multi-meter (get one for $10 at sears if you don't have one) on Impedence mode. A good fuse should register continuity.

Anyways, the two battery fuses that are in the yellow plastic at the far side of the under-hood fuse panel are the most likely culprits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what is a fusible link? can anyone elaborate? my moon roof is stuck open, center dash clock and light wont work, dome lights dont work, and its because i tried to plug in another aftermarket cd player... which i had one in it before. the first one i installed the battery was not disconnected and it worked great for two years, and now when i tried to upgrade i ruin my car. anyone with any ideas?
thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts