Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm guessing that the bolt that goes through the middle with the oddly shaped washers is for toe, right?
Since the shop can already adjust the toe without that, can I just replace the adjusting washers with some of the washers that came with the kit to keep them from moving all around when I tighten them down?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
No...the Ingalls rear camber kit is just for camber...the camcentric bolt is how you adjust camber. Toe is asjusted in the rear using the factory adjusment bolts...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? So does it matter if they all arent exactly the same when tightened down? Or will it mess up my alignment later after the shop does it?
I guess I just want to know how good it will hold.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Really? So does it matter if they all arent exactly the same when tightened down? Or will it mess up my alignment later after the shop does it?
I guess I just want to know how good it will hold.
When you get an alignment, the shop will have to adjust them in reference to the measurements the machine gives them...once everything is lined up, they just tighten them down.

That's why I just did the homemade kit though...it was cheaper and easier to work with...and honestly, once you get it close by stacking washers (for the homemade kit), any good alignment technician could make further adjustments with shims the same way they'd adjust the camber and caster on the front of an old Chevy...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The kit I have came with some good thick washers, but they are just a little too wide to fit flush with the stock bracket. I was thinking if I put a non-adjustable washer in the place of the camcentric ones then I can use the good washers with the ingalls brackets.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
iI wanted to use them because the camcentric seemed like they woult not be stable enought to hold themselves in place...
With the factory brackets it's just a hole big enough for the bolt without any chance of the bolt sliding side to side.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
iI wanted to use them because the camcentric seemed like they woult not be stable enought to hold themselves in place...
With the factory brackets it's just a hole big enough for the bolt without any chance of the bolt sliding side to side.
The side to side sliding is how the camber is adjusted with the Ingalls kit...

The camcentric washers are designed to work with the brackets they provided. If you want to use the stock brackets, sell the Ingalls setup and go with the homemade camber kit in the how-to section...don't try and reengineer Ingalls kit...:ugh2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well then why does it come with longer bolts with thick washers that install behind their bracket. The instructions tell you to install however many washers behind their brackets to adjust camber.... Similiar to a homemade kit. So WTF?
I have a homemade kit already and I don't trust it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
let me explain what I'm talking about a little better. I just want to put nice thick washers, the exact same thickness and diameter as the cam washers, in place of them. The only differense is that the hole for the bolt is in the middle which does not allow the washers to turn for the extra camber adjustment. The washers that go behind the bracket against the car for camber adjustment will be enough for my car. Pretty much like a homemade one except I like the Ingalls bracket and washers because they're thicker and cover more surface area. The Ingalls washers are too big to fit flush behind the stock brackets.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The Ingalls washers are too big to fit flush behind the stock brackets.
that's because they weren't designed to fit behind the stock bracket.

along with using washers, the ingalls kit also has an adjustment on the bracket itself to adjust camber. turning the cam bolts on the ingalls bracket will give you an additional 1 or 2 degrees of adjustment. that's why there's play in the bolt holes. if there was no play, it would be impossible to adjust.

once you install the kit the way it's supposed to be installed, an alignment shop shouldn't have to mess with adding or subtracting washers. they should only have to adjust the cam bolts on the brackets.

unless you grind down the ingalls washers to the diameter you want, there's no way to make them work with the stock brackets.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dude, The kit came with 16 thick washers and longer bolts. The instructions specifically tell you to put the washers behind the Ingalls bracket to correct negative camber, and to use the longer bolts provided if you use more than 2.
I agree with you about the cam washers being used as well but it's a pain in the ass to get them right. If one is straight and the other isn't exactly the same then there goes my toe.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im not trying to redesign the kit, just to do away with the cam washers

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There must be a misunderstanding here. I want to use the Ingalls bracket with the washers behind it for camber correction but I don't want to use the cam washers that were provided. I just want to use some washers that are the same size and thickness in their place so the bolt doesn't move and I don't have to worry about them throwing my toe off. You know how there are 2 brackets on each side?... Well if they aren't both tightened exactly the same won't it affect my toe? not just my camber? I just don't want the hassle because they turn as I tighten the bolt.

·
Registered
844 Posts
you can screw up your camber all to hell and it won't affect your toe.

ingalls is very specific in stating that the washers provided must be used with their bracket. you CAN NOT use anything else.

you're worried about something that you shouldn't be concerned with. install the kit, and take your car to get an alignment.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
There must be a misunderstanding here. I want to use the Ingalls bracket with the washers behind it for camber correction but I don't want to use the cam washers that were provided. I just want to use some washers that are the same size and thickness in their place so the bolt doesn't move and I don't have to worry about them throwing my toe off. You know how there are 2 brackets on each side?... Well if they aren't both tightened exactly the same won't it affect my toe? not just my camber? I just don't want the hassle because they turn as I tighten the bolt.
You don't seem to understand the princples of alignment angles. Toe is only adjusted with the factory toe camcentric bolt...that's it.

It sounds like you're worried about the front bracket of the rear upper control arm not being aligned perfectly with the rear bracket...is this correct? Again, pictures of what you're talking about would really help out. If that is correct though, the only thing that might happen is your caster could be slightly affected if say the camber adjustment for the front bracket isn't even with camber adjustment for the rear bracket...but that's why you take the car to get an alignment...let a professional worry about that...I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but you don't seem to fully understand alignment principles...:ugh2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you're right, thats exactly what I was talking about. I just want to make sure the cam washers aren't going to slip later on and throw my alignment off after I get it aligned. I'm going to go ahead and put it on then take it to the shop.
thanks for the info.... you're not a jerk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts