Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
streetz
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys yet again i come accross another problem that i have no idea what is causing it. my sparkplug wire keeps poping out the hole almost every time a give it alot of gas. its really annoyin cause i loose alot of power and it causes my gas mileage to drop a decent amount to. it only does it on one spark plug all the rest are fine. ive changed the spark plugs, wires, and checked for gaps in them. ive also taken the plug out and put it back in and not to tight either. any ideas on the problem?

·
Banned
4,408 Posts
there are seals that go near the valve cover to keep oil from coming up, maybe one got damaged and the compression of the motor shoots the plug wire up

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
there are seals that go near the valve cover to keep oil from coming up, maybe one got damaged and the compression of the motor shoots the plug wire up
I doubt it...the pressure from the combustion chamber shouldn't be on the other side of those seals...if it is, he has a lot of blow-by and would have other problems as well.

the wire isn't snagged on something and causing it to pull on it when the motor moves, is it?
This would be a good thing to check...

is the sparkplug tight and not broken?
He said he replaced the spark plugs, and the chances of it being a broken plug in the same location are pretty slim...

I'd first check as IAmTheSTIG said and see if the wire could be getting snagged on anything. If that looks good, check the threads and sealing surface the the plug screws into...it's possible that you could be getting a little pressure leakage around the plug, but pretty unlikely. Have you tried switching that wire with another one to see if the problem follows the wire or stays with the cylinder?

·
54,424 Posts
i've seen plenty of brand new plugs broken in cars, it happens and its something to check. moreso check that the plug is tight, gasses blowing past or through the plug will eject plug boots like no other.

·
Registered
954 Posts
well im experiencing the same problem. i cant figure out whats causing the thing...its the front plug cover furthest on the driver side. i dont think its something pulling on the wire because the wire is all in its little holders/brackets but the top of the cover is popped up.

if anyone else has had this problem and fixed it, what could be the problem?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
well im experiencing the same problem. i cant figure out whats causing the thing...its the front plug cover furthest on the driver side. i dont think its something pulling on the wire because the wire is all in its little holders/brackets but the top of the cover is popped up.
if anyone else has had this problem and fixed it, what could be the problem?
I would pull the plug from that cylinder (#6 in your case) and check for oil on the plug and on the boot. If here is oil I would replace the tube seal to stop the leak. Whether there is oil or not I would then check the threads on the spark plug and verify they are not screwed up. If so replace the plug. If not reinstall it and torque to spec. Then add some dielectric grease to the plug boot and push and twist it down into place. Then reinstert the wire into the wire channel "clamp" making sure there is no tension on the wire (either toward the distrib or away). If the wire is being pulled on then the vibrations of the running engine could/would shake it out of place.

What kind of wires are you using? I had magnecores that stayed in place for the longest time. After a 2nd spark plug swap 2 of them didn't want to sit right. I swapped in some Magstars and they seem to be fine (been 2 months).

·
Registered
174 Posts
i had the same problem. the spark plugs were loose. so thats what i would say it probably is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts