Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm sure there's going to be some negative feedback how i peiced and cut the piping to ni.....wait..... "afro engineer" my injen cai system and the sds piping. but i works, and quite well at that. I asked earlier before i purchased the kit if it could be done and nobody seemed to know. now i can comfirm. you can make your sds system into a suck through system by modifying a cai. here's the pics!

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm using a greddy e-manage. getting it tuned wed. it's running great right now. i get an occasional stall at idle every once in a while but that's about the only problem.

it took me forever to keep cutting the pipes down to the right size.

·
Boost by RIPP
584 Posts
Bringing this one back from the dead....

I have an '02 sporty GT with a stage 1 SDS and want to know what the pros/cons to adding a "cai" to the SDS are. I put the SDS on my car in the spring of 2003 and have put about 3,500 miles on it since. I'm currently running an HKS AFR with my system (the gray box was not available when I got my kit) and have my car tuned and running fine with it. If I were to add a "CAI" setup to the blower, would it effect my tune? Would there be any benifets? I wouldn't expect to see any hp gains, but at the very least won't the cooler air be better than what the motor gets now? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
What Perna00 did here is modify a CAI so he could convert his SDS to suck through the MAS instead of blowing through it.

·
Boost by RIPP
584 Posts
Eclipsed01 said:
i don't get how that cai would help make hp from the blower. I does look cool tho and is very creative like everyone els has said
Yeah, I'm not expecting to see any increase in power what so ever, but I'm wondering if it would be benificial to pull in some cooler air. At the same time, would it effect the tune on the AFR?

·
Boost by RIPP
584 Posts
drelo said:
What Perna00 did here is modify a CAI so he could convert his SDS to suck through the MAS instead of blowing through it.
My intentions are to leave my SDS set up the way I installed it per Rippmods instructions (air blows through the MAS) but instead of putting the filter on the blower, put it on an aluminum tube below the blower like Perna00 in a way.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,979 Posts
I think you would be fine, because you can alter the tune of the HKS. If you had the bb/gb, I wouldn't do it.

Oops, just noticed you are not converting.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No matter what, don't convert to suck through with a functional blow off valve unless you are tuning with a map sensor. I had nothing but problems. I recently changed to blow though and it works 10x better. I didn't notice any power differences in changing back and forth either.

·
Boost by RIPP
584 Posts
perna00 said:
No matter what, don't convert to suck through with a functional blow off valve unless you are tuning with a map sensor. I had nothing but problems. I recently changed to blow though and it works 10x better. I didn't notice any power differences in changing back and forth either.

Thanks man. I'm leaving my set up as blow through. :twothumb:

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,979 Posts
perna00 said:

Didn't you have Ripps map sensor? I thought converting to suck thur (al la Tearstone's conv. kit) was a better option than blowing thur this MAS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts